Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > First ever drive in a Fl2 - on my own - opinion and questio
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mrsimon4x4

First ever drive in a Fl2 - on my own - opinion and questio

I test drove this 2010 2.2d SS TDe manual this morning.
https://www.coches.net/land-rover-freeland...-covo.aspx

At 11,990 euros and 134k kms it's priced about right. It is in REALLY good condition, very clean and tidy insuide and out and maybe not even used off road (gasp).

I loved driving it, and it seems like it was made bespoke for me!! Whhy have I waited so long!
I was a bit naughty. I was left on my own to drive it, and took it and down some steep off road tracks ... It was just to check first gear climbs and hill descent, and it all worked properly IMHO.

The steering felt a bit 'light' in fast bends, which I supposed is part of the character. I didn't hear anything weird from the engine.

I'm interested even though it's a manual due to the price and condition (pending getting a mechanic to check it).

THE MAIN ISSUE is that it's THE BASE MODEL. The owner had electric leather seats and green metallic paint added, which is really nice, but it seems a bit short on extras.
The screen space is just a cubby hole...
And there is a panel in the REV counter guauge that seems not to show anything. Just plastic. What should go there?

It has what I need, and I'd add whatever aftermarket 'screen' goes in there.
DOUBTS
- The speed set on the cruise control is not shown - is that right?
- Going downhill in cruise control it didn't seem to slow down when I used the 'minus' button. Maybe I didn't give it a chance...

So, just waiting to see if I reach an agreement on a decent exchange price for my Montero.

Thanks for any pointers!

Post #397458 25th Sep 2020 5:46 pm
3landertwo

your ' 2010 2.2d SS TDe' is actually an'S' basic model, one down from the GS.
BUT has been upgraded, as you say, with leather and electrics

OK you don't have Panoramic Sun Roof and Roof Rails and SatNav, also mid range alloys.

What you have is a good vehicle with extras, and if you want more 'options' they can be added.

Engine transmission are all the same as higher spec models. Basically do you need these 'options'

within the Rev counter the 'Plastic' you call it, is actually warning indicators, which light up on start-up then go off ......... until options are selected OR engine/transmission warning lamps illuminate.

I have a GS model, your S model with extras is better than I have. I too have the Td4e , which is selectable on/off.

Good Luck

Post #397463 25th Sep 2020 6:18 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: First ever drive in a Fl2 - on my own - opinion and que

mrsimon4x4 wrote:
I test drove this 2010 2.2d SS TDe manual this morning.
https://www.coches.net/land-rover-freeland...-covo.aspx

At 11,990 euros and 134k kms it's priced about right. It is in REALLY good condition, very clean and tidy insuide and out and maybe not even used off road (gasp).

I loved driving it, and it seems like it was made bespoke for me!! Whhy have I waited so long!
I was a bit naughty. I was left on my own to drive it, and took it and down some steep off road tracks ... It was just to check first gear climbs and hill descent, and it all worked properly IMHO.

The steering felt a bit 'light' in fast bends, which I supposed is part of the character. I didn't hear anything weird from the engine.

I'm interested even though it's a manual due to the price and condition (pending getting a mechanic to check it).

THE MAIN ISSUE is that it's THE BASE MODEL. The owner had electric leather seats and green metallic paint added, which is really nice, but it seems a bit short on extras.
The screen space is just a cubby hole...
And there is a panel in the REV counter guauge that seems not to show anything. Just plastic. What should go there?

It has what I need, and I'd add whatever aftermarket 'screen' goes in there.
DOUBTS
- The speed set on the cruise control is not shown - is that right?
- Going downhill in cruise control it didn't seem to slow down when I used the 'minus' button. Maybe I didn't give it a chance...

So, just waiting to see if I reach an agreement on a decent exchange price for my Montero.

Thanks for any pointers!

There's no CC speed shown, just the light to say its active.
Going down hill, the CC won't slow you down, as it can't apply the brakes, unlike some more modern vehicles. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #397468 25th Sep 2020 7:57 pm
mrsimon4x4

Yes, bog standard S model with leather!

Can the hill descent speed be altered? I tried and nothing happened. On the Evoque I could change it.

In the Rev Counter binacle it really does look like it is simply a piece of plastic with nothing to light up! Am I right?

Post #397471 25th Sep 2020 8:13 pm
alex_pescaru

Search for the handbook here on the forum and you will find answer to all your questions in there...

Post #397473 25th Sep 2020 9:53 pm
Wonderdust

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Warning lights

Post #397480 26th Sep 2020 6:33 am
Wonderdust

Warning lights

Post #397481 26th Sep 2020 6:33 am
Wonderdust

Hdc according to manual, yes

Post #397482 26th Sep 2020 6:36 am
riverblanche

England 

Hi,
ISTR when we were searching for a car the TDe (the e being the important bit) was only 2 wheel drive Question

then again I may remember wrongly it was a year and half ago Laughing

or it could be the eD4 Question worth checking to be sure

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #397493 26th Sep 2020 3:33 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Hi mrsimon4x4 I know used cars are very expensive in Spain to what us Brits pay in the UK , as i have lived in Gran Canaria, where prices are even more stupid. but , if it was me, i would keep looking for an HSE spec car , the extra cost would be well worth it . from passed experience, you will soon be Censored off with a basic vehicle . you know the old saying , act in haste, repent in leisure. BUT that's only my opinion. Good luck with your prospective purchase .

Post #397494 26th Sep 2020 3:40 pm
mrsimon4x4

QUOTE:Hi mrsimon4x4 I know used cars are very expensive in Spain to what us Brits pay in the UK , as i have lived in Gran Canaria, where prices are even more stupid. but , if it was me, i would keep looking for an HSE spec car , the extra cost would be well worth it . from passed experience, you will soon be Censored off with a basic vehicle . you know the old saying , act in haste, repent in leisure. BUT that's only my opinion. Good luck with your prospective purchase .QUOTE

Hi
Prices on the second hand market for British cars seem much more expensive here in Spain than the UK. You are right.
If I pay 14 - 15000€ I can have my pick of the bunch so to speak. So, instead of 12K it's worth stretching 2K more for the one I really want.
I totally get you about that !! I know myself too well. A week after getting the manual box I'd be surfing for autos!

What I really want and NEED (for off road) is an automatic. I've seen a great one in green, HSE and less than 100K kms, BUT private seller and in Toledo, the other side of Madrid and I'm near Barcelona, and now with the Covid, it makes travel a pain. I need to focus on selling the Pajero (which hold their price), and then get that 'dream' spec FL2.

BTW, I got round to reading the whole owners manual this morning and have seen how the functions work - good idea!

Also, totally ruled out getting a Discovery of any type; it's far too big for what I really need and could afford to maintain right now. And the 'Disco sports don't wag my tail.

I can't believe how comfortable I felt and how much I enjoyed driving the FL2. Really glad I got to do the test drive on my own. Looking forward to findind the right one, in the right condition at the right price. Thumbs Up

Last thing. I found the owners manual, can anyone point me to the maintenance schedule PDF for Diesels ? Thanks Bow down

Post #397497 26th Sep 2020 4:25 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

service schedule is on a link in this thread - https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5921.html 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #397517 27th Sep 2020 11:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1