Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Disco 3 v FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mrsimon4x4

Disco 3 v FL2

I sometimes look at the Disco 3 and see 2007 models for 15000€ and just over 100000kms and some forums say they are reliable if they are looked after.
Is it a dangerous and silly choice for the non mechanic to get one like the above? Rust is not an issue in Spain...
I found this offer on AutoScout24.

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/land-ro...roid-share

Mileage: 97,783 km
First registration: 01/2007
Final price: € 14,999.-

Post #397394 24th Sep 2020 7:40 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

My local indie tells me he's doing a couple of snapped/wrecked TDV6 crank shafts PER WEEK! Usually around the 110k miles point. A quick Google suggests it's not uncommon. I personally couldn't go (back) to a D3, the FL2 is far more suitable for me in every way.

Post #397396 24th Sep 2020 8:43 pm
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

I have both....the FL2 is a third of the running costs....
Owning a D3 is the equivalent of pulling the pin on the hand grenade and throwing it in the footwell....you know one day it’s going to go bang...but that adds to the excitement!! Very Happy

Post #397398 24th Sep 2020 9:20 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I’ve also heard about the crankshaft issues yikes, but also most common is the oil pump shearing, taking out the cambelt and what does the cambelt do? Drives the cams, just imagine all that damage.

Also some have electrical issues which are common, just depends on previous owner having Main dealer servicing and genuine parts too, Suspension issues with air leaks.

Wouldn’t entertain one truthfully but if I knew the previous owner and if he had it from new, well possibly a gamble. But NO really

Buy a low mileage well looked after freelander 2 and you will sleep better at night.

Post #397402 24th Sep 2020 9:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mrsimon4x4

just ploughed through some videos and the forum. Looks like if you look after them well, you're OK, but even so, they are expensive to run and maintain.

I'm going to focus on something more common sense, if a LR can ever be called that!

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #397412 24th Sep 2020 10:52 pm
Lffsam

France 

OK so newbie here ( on this forum ).
Why do any of us buy Landrover vehicles after all we have to say is negative ?
YES my Freelander 1 had issues with window regulators, 2 clutches, sunroof leaked, VCU bearings twice...............but I have just bought a 2010 hse...............new haldex fitted............suspect rear diff is o its way.............needs 10 year service ( most parts sourced but less than £300 using Gates parts and OE spec oils ).
Find me another car of this spec / ability for the money!
Happy FL2 owner here
Cheers Richard

Post #397414 24th Sep 2020 11:20 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Had a D3 for 3 years, and loved it for a while. However it always needed something doing, which was always big and expensive. The brakes don't last more than 20k miles, the front suspension bushes fail if you happen to brake while driving through a pothole, and there's the constant worry that the crankshaft will break.

I've now got an FL2, and although it's not as commanding to drive as the D3, and is missing the useful 7 seat layout, I know that it's less needy and less likely to suffer crankshaft failure. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.

Post #397423 25th Sep 2020 9:39 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Im told if you want an older Discovery go for the D4 as its better in all respects than the D3 inc reliability Jules

Post #397428 25th Sep 2020 10:44 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I switched from several FL2 owned over the years into a 2012MY D4 a year ago.

its now officially the most money ive ever spent on a car (2 major services, cambelt change, windscreen, 4 x tyres, suspension arms, all fluids, and finally an Alive remap not to mention upgrading all the lights to 2014 style, roof bars, ladder, awning Laughing )

its also the longest ive owned a car since my first FL1 15 years ago and I have absolutely no itch to change it yet. Its an astonishing car to own and im glad I did before diesel and big engines are killed off forever.

yes its a bit more expensive to run than a FL2 auto, but I get around 30mpg mixed driving compared to 34mpg in a FL2.
yes ive spent a lot of money in a year on it but most of that is just a bit of future proofing and the rest general maintenance on car with 112k on the clock. The remap was a little treat and its such a smooth drive now.

Choose wisely, maintain properly and fix things like bushes etc at the earliest opportunity and you will never stop smiling. Just put the crank failure to the back of your mind and/or get a decent warranty that covers it (in UK Warranty direct cover the crank, LR warranty tend not to cover it)

Post #397435 25th Sep 2020 11:28 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I own both...

I prefer my D3 over the FL2. Wife is the opposite, she likes the FL more

I like the extra space, the extra comfort, the higher driving position.
I dislike the higher running costs...

Post #397465 25th Sep 2020 7:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Mikey, you also own a garage with all the kit and you posess all the skills to repair it yourself Laughing if I had all the above Id be comfortable owning a D3 too Very Happy Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #397466 25th Sep 2020 8:37 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

jules wrote:
Im told if you want an older Discovery go for the D4 as its better in all respects than the D3 inc reliability

The crankshafts break for a past time on the D4. It's becoming a serious problem, worse than the D3 issues. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.

Post #397467 25th Sep 2020 8:47 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

crikey - thats very poor Jules

Post #397474 25th Sep 2020 11:07 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

In outback Australia 19 inch rims are one of the biggest complaints for the Discovery. Both being able to get a tyre & also too lower profile for our corrugated roads. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #397475 25th Sep 2020 11:55 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

davyboy wrote:
I’ve also heard about the crankshaft issues yikes, but also most common is the oil pump shearing, taking out the cambelt and what does the cambelt do? Drives the cams, just imagine all that damage.

Also some have electrical issues which are common, just depends on previous owner having Main dealer servicing and genuine parts too, Suspension issues with air leaks.

Wouldn’t entertain one truthfully but if I knew the previous owner and if he had it from new, well possibly a gamble. But NO really

Buy a low mileage well looked after freelander 2 and you will sleep better at night.

During 11 happy years with a Td5 Disco 2 Id long debated what I was going to change to. D3 or 4 was the obvious choice but the reliability issues, big bills and the potential to self destruct an engine at will switched me off that idea. I still lust after late model D4s they look amazing, beautiful to drive and such a capable all rounder but while my heart tells me to just go for it, my head tells me Ive made the right decision with the Freelander 2 (for now).
Only downside (apart from not having 7 seats) is the load space. The van like luggage area of the disco I do miss. Currently in process of moving house and transferring boxed items prior to the physical "big move" the lack of load space is obvious, Having said that Ive currently got a twin axle ifor Williams type trailer on the back of the freelander, which it tows effortlessly Thumbs Up

Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #397484 26th Sep 2020 9:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>