Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Change manual gearbox & front diff oil 2013 TD4 for £14
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
riverblanche

England 
Change manual gearbox & front diff oil 2013 TD4 for £14

Hi,
did a bit of preventative maintenance on our FL2 its a 2013 with 113000 miles.
Time for a change of the oil in the combined Manual gearbox and front diff

In the cars manual it shows as Castrol BOT 350 M3 = MTF97309 = GL4 75W80 and has a capacity of 2 litres

You can choice which oil your happy with Question
I went for Mannol 8109 Unigear,
was also looking at Mannol MTF-4 getriebeoel but it was only in 4l and it will be a while before it wants changing again Laughing

So bought 2x1L with a discount code for £11.50 delivered, also bought 2xcopper washers for £2.25
these are 24mmO/D 18mmI/D and 2mm thick crush washers
(istr 24mm x 18mm x 1.3mm flat washers mentioned in another thread)

Here is the rest of the tools I used, (+a 13mm socket!) it is a very straight forward job, my little hand pump worked really well for topping back up, as not much room for a funnel, an oil tub with an extended flexy neck should also work.

First remove the metal under tray (13mm socket) leave one of the front bolts in till last as the back edge rests on the cross member.
As our drive slopes I drove up onto some blocks so the car was then level and I had more room underneath it Smile

Then either remove the N/S/F wheel or use full right lock to get to the fill plug its 24mm, I used a single hex 15/16ths socket
(make sure you can fill it back up before removing the drain plug Whistle )
The plug is behind the drive shaft and above the steering rack.

Now back underneath to remove that drain plug this is looking from the front of the car, you have to use a 24mm spanner as you can not get the socket on.

When you remove the plug, dont just take it straight away or the oil will come out at a fair rate and go all over the place
(mine was very warm as had to wait for it to cool down from driving back home)
Use the plug to control it flowing out, its only 10-20 seconds before slowing and you get it all in the catcher tub then
( I did have some paper down just in case but all good)
Drain plug back in with the new copper washer

Fill with the fresh oil, (2L) it is a Level plug, (just a dribble coming back out) again new copper washer and plug back in, have a wipe around, road test and back to check for leaks, all good the undertray goes back on and its all done.

This is the fresh oil, did not take one of the old but it was a fair bit darker, no shiny particles which was good so just a straight forward oil change.

Hope that helps anyone thinking about doing their own oil change

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #397036 15th Sep 2020 1:47 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Hi River
I followed this thread from you posting on my gearbox oil change, great post by the way, same as i did it, more or less but as you know i used 75w/90 fully synthetic oil, drove ok but since then done some more reading and found 75w/80 should be better.

Ok so not being 100% on the 75w/90 i have used in the gearbox i purchased this last night it should be here Wednesday 75w/80.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Synthetic-75...2749.l2649

So will be changed that day if the weather is kind, the 75w/90 will now act as a flush oil until then.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36043.html

Post #398242 13th Oct 2020 9:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1