« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Hole through bulkhead / firewall
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand
Hole through bulkhead / firewall

As I add more gear to the bus I have been scratching my head over running cables through the firewall.

The hole for the bonnet release cable was filled with a big chunky twin cable for the auxiliary battery.

So I bit the bullet and drilled a hole. Behind the battery is a stud that has a nut to secure the insulation in the cabin. I drilled next to this.

The hole exited in an unexpected place, but very convenient. It comes through behind and above the fusebox. Getting the drill into position was a pain, but some black paint and silicon will guard against corrosion and water/gas into the cabin.

A small thing perhaps, but worthwhile if you need to get through.

Cheers.
 MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #396165 26th Aug 2020 8:46 am
3landertwo

" ......... So I bit the bullet and drilled a hole......."

Why didn't you put the bullet ..... in the gun. ??

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #396167 26th Aug 2020 8:55 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Put a proper grommet or clamp around that. Use a cross hole countersink for deburring.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/4-8mm-dia-waterp...2/p/HP0724

Don't use silicone on cars as it is acidic, use acrylic sealer from Sikaflex. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #396173 26th Aug 2020 10:06 am
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Low modulus silicone is ok, don’t use the general purpose types.

Post #396194 26th Aug 2020 6:56 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Just reading through items on the lists and with horror seen this!
If I had done this with a fire appliance well the proverbial sack would be short coming!

Certainly not the best I have seen for a while, But drill the hole larger, paint the bare steel and fit a rubber grommet, hope no heavy current is being through those wires.

Please rectify this as soon as or your insurance for a total burn out may not cover? Insurance companies now involve fire investigators to ascertain why car fires happen, Cables through a small aperture? They have factory build diagrams to work from so be very careful indeed. As copper cables are still visible after a fire. As once years back was once a forensic vehicle inspector for the Police and have seen the aftermath.

If it’s an automatic? There may be a large rubber grommet where the brake pedal would have been through the fire wall!!!
Not a home designed hole rear of the glove box.

Post #396550 3rd Sep 2020 10:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

FFS what a bunch of nancyboys.

The car isn't going to rust out from this. The car isn't going to explode. It isn't going to void my insurance or warranty or registration or citizenship. Maybe membership of this forum though.

It's a photo of part of the process because people keep whining about not having ways of getting wiring through the vehicle.

Now go and play in traffic and be useful. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #396552 4th Sep 2020 12:39 am
3landertwo

When I worked on Royal Navy ships [salute] after drilling the correct size hole we would insert a Glenair Stuffing Tube, which is a bulkhead compression grommet with nuts either side. After inserting the cable, we would fill the Stuffing Tube with Henley Compound, putty like material, and compress the joint tight.

That's da way to do it !!!

Post #396563 4th Sep 2020 7:18 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

put the smallest fuse you can on it and it will be ok. oh and some type of gromet/silicon/plug At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #396566 4th Sep 2020 8:31 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The wire will eventually rub through either the metal or other wires, shorting! I have had it happen on my Peugeot 504, simply old wiring, luckily I was there & put the fire out, it only takes seconds for it to get out of control.

You also haven't grouped the wires, use some Tesa 51036 abrasion resistant tape. I have used it on all the cables I have added for my compressors. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #396567 4th Sep 2020 8:37 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I use rubber hose to run the wires through then poke that in the hole.

Post #396571 4th Sep 2020 3:46 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Sound free advice!

Well, mr ozjeff62 now now, all we are offering is free sound common sense as you first wrote “as I add more stuff to the bus”.

Once a little electrical short to ground events unfold ie electrical and vehicle fires, catastrophic happenings are as I could put it? Prevention is better than cure! Your car battery is only 12volts. But Amps, Well, go and do some research.

Does Australia’s Archtect sometimes design houses with a garage space below living quarters? So how on earth can your replied message to what I wrote be without common sense.

Plainly think of this, If your vehicle spontaneously or mysteriously started to smoulder either parked at home, on the highway, in a tunnel, refuelling, taking the kids and granny to the beach or other. And you know your cabling isn’t really well how can I put it, “catastrophic“ well it’s your Call! Also it’s your property.

One of our members kindly commented his vehicle caught fire and he was able to distinguish quickly, Could YOU?

Please reply!

Post #396589 4th Sep 2020 11:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1