« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Take Back Control? - Automated Driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

jules wrote:
"I’d have no reservations about fully (tried and tested) autonomous car populated roadways"

I think you are going to be waiting a long time.

You misunderstood me. I said I have no reservations about fully (tried and tested) autonomous car populated roadways, not that I am waiting for them.

Unlikely to be with my lifetime so waiting would be a little pointless.

Post #395881 20th Aug 2020 8:28 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

OK lets say the hardware and software for autonomous driving does get to the stage where it is reliable - I didn't say perfect just reliable - I write controls software, perfect just isn't financially viable, get it close and let the customer report the errors that annoy most.

I will of course be part of the MOT (good luck specifying that one) so you have a perfectly serviceable car that is only ever used for around town work (or the driver prefers the pleasure of driving rather than sleeping at the wheel), and the autonomous error light is on = MOT fail. That could be one expensive unnecessary fix. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #395903 21st Aug 2020 10:24 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have done so little driving since October last year, when I was last in the car I noticed that I was been far more cautious of my surroundings. Probably not for the better, more hesitant & not quite as good with my spacial awareness.

If we have autonomous cars & we have to be able to take over the car we better keep our driving skills in tip top shape or we will have more accidents for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe every 3 months you will need to log X number of hours driving the car yourself. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #395905 21st Aug 2020 12:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12