Home > General > Freelander 2 vs. Saloon car - refinment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gorjant

Macedonia 
Freelander 2 vs. Saloon car - refinment

Hi,

I just cannot decide between buying an SUV or a mid szie saloon. If it is SUV it will be the Freelander 2, otherwise it will be the new Mercedes C-Class...I prefer the freelander as more tough and almost "go anywhere" car (not that I will do any major off-roading..) but even in a city it is better with it's height for better visibility when parking or going across broken streets that are not rare in our city. I will feel more confident going on a distant beach wih the freelander, not caring that sand might get into doors and the windows start squeekng when opened/closed....also for safety I suppose it's height will protect better than in a car (even if the car is a new Mercedes) (altough this is not true for all SUV's as most of the smaller ones get only 4 star ratings on EuroNCAP, while even newer small familiy cars get 5).

The downside of the Freelander 2 is my fear that it is not as refined as a C-Class, Audi A4 or BMW 3 series, I haven't test driven an Freelander 2 to check it...how it with wind and, road and engine noise for example on speeds like 150 km/h...
How is the ride in city driving?
Also the material quality is not as good in the freelander 2
Another thins is the fuel consumption..

I hopse I will decide soon Smile

Thanx!

Post #3876 18th Jun 2007 1:08 pm
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Gorjant
I see you havent tried the freelander2, when you do then you will decide, the Freelander2 is a wonderful car on motorways, around town ond off road, also consider the safety & the higher driving position. Which car will hold its price when selling? I compared with a volvo 4by4, no competion to me, for looks or kerpside appeal it has to be the Freelander2. A friend of mine is trading his volvo 4by4 for the freelander2 after seeing and trying mine. Milage with mine is 30-31 around town and mixed with motorway is 36 but bear in mind my car is a diesel and needs loosening up and I can see an increase in milage
I love the car, my advise is try one!!!
Good Luck
David David

Post #3877 18th Jun 2007 1:56 pm
G4LAND

Mexico 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

Let me tell you a short history:
I really love VW AUDI group, I was driving two different A4 Quattro for many years; lovely car! Thumbs Up When I try my first Freelander in 2002, the history was written! Milestone
Simply, the best of two worlds! Bow down
If that happened with an FL1 you can imagine with a FL2... Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN, EA1HCZ

13 LR2 (FL2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

08 LR2 (FL2) SE
Tambora/Black
(Mexico GONE)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
Tangiers Orange/Black
(Spain)

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey / Ebony (Black)
(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
Java Black/Black
(Spain GONE)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(Spain GONE)

09 VOLVO XC70 OCEAN RACE EDITION D5
Ocean Race Blue
(Spain)

Post #3878 18th Jun 2007 2:14 pm
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

gorjant
i came to the new freelander from the same angle as you. my previous two cars were audi and BMW. the audi A3 i swapped for a BMW 3-series touring because of bad service and need for space. the BMW in turn became a little too small when my family grew larger. i was also looking for refinement, but now that had to be coupled with space and practicality. not a simple task... the BMW X3 was the main candidate first, but i didn't like its looks. then came the first pictures of the new freelander and i thought this was the car, but i was concerned over land rover reliability. the announcement that the car would be built in halewood gave reason for optimism. my final decision came after one of my friends (who was one of the drivers at the marocco press event) gave a good review for the car. i ordered it without seeing it. when i first saw it at a car show i was disappointed over the interior refinement, but a test drive showed that the freelander was one of the quietest cars on the market (including the super-premium cars). by then i was sold and now i think it is the nicest car i have ever owned... try it and you will fall in love with it! 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #3901 19th Jun 2007 7:43 am
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Gorjant

I too was a dedicated saloon car driver - my previous 2 cars were an Audi A4 saloon and a SAAB 93 Sports Saloon (both diesels). When I last changed, nothing in the saloon car category (within my budget) really grabbed me, so I decided to have a change and try a 4x4. My biggest worry was motorway cruising, especially as my dealer wouldn't let me go on the motorway on my test drive.

I've now done about 2000 miles on a range of roads and am still really impressed every time I get behind the wheel. The handling is great, the driving position is really comfortable and I think the finish is to a high standard.

As everyone else has said, have a test drive - you won't be disappointed at all.

BG

Post #3904 19th Jun 2007 8:57 am
gorjant

Macedonia 

QUERCUS wrote:

i was disappointed over the interior refinement, but a test drive showed that the freelander was one of the quietest cars on the market (including the super-premium cars). by then i was sold and now i think it is the nicest car i have ever owned... try it and you will fall in love with it!

Why was you at first dissappointed? Shocked And is the TD4 close to refinment with the l6 engine..? My concerns come from a review from whatcar.co.uk (http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-full.aspx?RT=897#Road):

"...The Freelander's square body and big tyres mean it's not as refined as the best family hatchbacks..." I thought if familiy hatchbacks are more refined..like what famili hatchbacks..

Anyway there is a lot of love and satisfaction around the new Freelander, and the customer reviews are very good. I can rarely see such entusiasm for a car, there really must be something very good about this car Cool

Post #3907 19th Jun 2007 9:16 am
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

gorjant wrote:
Why was you at first dissappointed? Shocked And is the TD4 close to refinment with the l6 engine..?

the attention to detail just wasn't the same as on the BMW. that said, the freelander is a more utilitarian a car than a BMW. i drove both the manual td4 and the auto i6 with the diesel being clearly inferior in my subjective view. the i6 engine pulls beautifully with the auto gearbox, making the car bordering to sporty. with the gas engine, the cabin is very quiet indeed and the car overall feels rock solid. try both.

tip: try also the range rover sport when you take the freelander for a spin. you will realize that the interior of the freelander feels bigger. in fact the car is 1mm wider than the range rover sport. after the test drives, do take a close look at the price tags for both. i bet you will then think that the freelander is a "best buy."

(i don't know what whatcar refers to with refinement in the sentence you quoted. could it be they confuse the word with agility?) 2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6
stornoway grey
black leather

Post #3910 19th Jun 2007 3:21 pm
companydriver

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Gorjant,

Definately go for a test drive and see for yourself Thumbs Up

My experience was coming from a 2005 Audi A3 Sport 1.9tdi. On the three day test drive I had, I was amazed by the lack of wind and engine noise of the TD4. It was easily twice as quiet as my A3...very impressive when you consider that the A3 cuts a slicker shape through the air.

Give it a go and let us know ur verdict Mr. Green

Post #3916 19th Jun 2007 6:07 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I can only second your words companydriver. Passed 10K miles now, and putting my glitches to one side the car is an absolute dream!!!. Ride & handling for a car of this stile and size is great. I took on a Golf and a Ford Focus around Milton Keynes for a laugh who were racing (sorry - driving enthusiastically Rolling with laughter ) and was amazed not only did I keep up, down the dual carrigeways passed them, much to the surprise on one drivers face who was hunched over the wheel willing his car to go quicker!!!!! Now Milton Keynes ain't much good for wallowing 4x4's due to its roundabouts, but the FL2 cut them like a knife gripped and pulled on the straights far above my expectations. I would never have attempted that in an FL1 but this car is 'sweet' hence why I am having the old one replaced , rather than my money back. They are superb all round motors, not to driven like an 'Essex boy' but quite capable if needed......now where did I put my Burberry cap Question Question Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #3926 19th Jun 2007 10:00 pm
companydriver

Carlfraz, glad to hear you have been having fun in the land of roundabouts!

Another thing that suprised me about the FL2 is that the car is actually F-U-N to drive Shocked

As a case in point I test drove a Volvo C30 T5 Sport a couple of days before. It was fast, very quiet and refined...but damn was it boring to drive. I can only describe it as a car for people who don't want to know they are driving a car! If you hate driving get down to your Volvo dealer.

The FL2 was a complete contrast, I could feel the car working underneath me around corners and enjoyed using the superb manual box to work the smooth engine...all with out endangering my licence.

2 days till collection...and counting Sheep... Sheep.....

Last edited by companydriver on 21st Jun 2007 4:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #3947 20th Jun 2007 11:44 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Can only second what Carlfraz has said. Have given my car some 'enthusiastic' treatment and it responds very well. Stability control is interesting when it cuts in ... Shocked I still find myself making excuses to go out and drive, altohugh having said there's a couple of ocassions when I haven't bothered with the excuses, just said to my I'm off for a drive for the hell of it! Also lining up for a pay-and-play off road session on a quarry course, it's run by a local 4X4 club.

Post #3949 21st Jun 2007 10:21 am
companydriver

Censored

LR dealer phoned; car now not ready for colletion until next Thursday!

7 days and counting... Sheep ... Sheep ... Sheep ... Sheep ... Sheep ... Sheep ... Sheep
Yawn
I can't wait anymore -just give me the car dammit! Big Cry

Post #3957 21st Jun 2007 4:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1