Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Advice needed! Should I go down the rabbit hole?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
OliverS

Yugoslavia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue
Advice needed! Should I go down the rabbit hole?

Hi all,

New to this forum and was hoping I could get some advice from you Freelander 2 veterans!

I have the possibility to buy a used 2007 Freelander 2 in HSE spec with 136.000 km. Beautiful thing, dark blue with beige leather interior. I’m very keen on pulling the trigger, even more so now that I’ve found this thriving community, but am still hesitant after having done some extensive research that has shown all the possible faults as well as having read the fair share of horror stories.

According to the service history, the car has had its share of (minor) issues. Intercooler hose replaced, two window mechanisms, three locking mechanisms, rear shockabsorbers etc. While its reassuring she’s been looked after, I’m wondering if that’s a sign of things to come as she ages. I wouldn’t necessarily have expected that amount of issues at such a relatively low mileage.

If I buy it, I’ll have to look into a bit of a vibration in idle, rear tailgate lock (only opens w the remote) a bit of a strange noise when taking my foot of the accelerator, the front-right driveshaft bearing and what seems to be a bit of an oil leak. This all brought the price down (€6000), so well worth doing but I am a bit nervous of potential things to come after.

Is there any advice you could give me? Should I steer clear due to the abovementioned as evidence of one of the more lemony Freelander 2’s, or is it all relatively normal wear and tear?

Keen to hear your thoughts!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Post #395300 10th Aug 2020 2:10 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Hi and welcome
Looking at it from being UK. based, there is no way I’d be paying equivalent of €6K for a 2007 Model with the listed faults and a no doubt few unknown . I know second hand cars are priced much higher in Europe , so you have to say is it worth it oram I better to take a chance instead of purchasing from a dealer. Good luck .

Post #395303 10th Aug 2020 3:05 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Go for £4500 there are others at that mileage and year at that price. The door loocks and window winders are common to many cars well the mechanism is the back plates are peleculiar to make, but Chinese or Indian components, the motors are model electric train or Scalextric basic and have about a 6 -7 year life. It all depends on useage, family continually opening doors will be higher failure rate than a couple. Shockers at 36k is normal for any car make some ablut 50k.
There is no other method of opening the tailgate other than the remote, if you mean it doesn't open on the first push that isstandard but some models allow different function on the fob from drivers only to all doors
The rest is up to you but basically they are reliable, I've only lost the turbo elbow and a rear door lock in 7 years and 55k the most reliable car I've ever had, including the so called Far Eastern reiable models. Actually my Disc 300 was pretty reliable over 9 years never failed to get home had 3 lift pumps all different makes every 20k miles and the odd switch problem that self cured, mind you they were both autos. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #395327 10th Aug 2020 7:10 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I just looked at Australian prices Td4 HSE, a 2009 78000km $14,000, 2008 163000km $8,500, 2008 $13,250 201000km, 2008 210000km $9,500.

Make sure the car has a 5th alloy wheel, battery is not too old, look underneath for rust, how much tread do the tyres have, WWYY of spare tyre (week/year), how much brake pads left, plus all the usual service history & mechanicals.

There is a bit of a recession for the next few years so better cars will come along at an appropriate price. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #395333 10th Aug 2020 9:13 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Advice needed! Should I go down the rabbit hole?

OliverS wrote:
... a bit of a vibration in idle...

Not much detail there but that would concern me and warrant investigation Jules

Post #395334 10th Aug 2020 10:21 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

At that age and mileage for there to be no evidence of a rear diff replacement might be a concern, but not necessarily a deal-breaker. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #395338 11th Aug 2020 6:44 am
Scudmonkey

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Dartman the one wrote:
G
There is no other method of opening the tailgate other than the remote, if you mean it doesn't open on the first push that isstandard but some models allow different function on the fob from drivers only to all doors

my 2007 XS Tailgate can be opened with the Remote, or using the lock & unlock Buttons on the dash together or the old fashioned way by putting my hand on the handle to release the tailgate....

Post #395363 11th Aug 2020 3:12 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Advice needed! Should I go down the rabbit hole?

OliverS wrote:
... rear tailgate lock (only opens w the remote)

Quite a common issue - the microswitch operating the lock fails. Easily replaced - from inside the tailgate IIRC Jules

Post #395379 11th Aug 2020 8:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1