« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Headlights stuck on main beam and now flashing on/off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Beanymash

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Headlights stuck on main beam and now flashing on/off

Hi, I've scoured the forum but cannot see a similar issue so hopefully this isn't serious. I love my big lump of a car, FL2 2008 HSE but it came with all the usual problems which I have mostly repaired. However this one is more difficult as I don't fully understand vehicle electrics.

Diagnoses:
When turning on the ignition the headlights are on main beam, if I turn the headlight switch to any setting (off/on/auto) it makes no difference, they stay on main beam. Then randomly they will go off and come back on, this is dangerous as when out driving the other day someone pulled out on me as they thought I flashed them to pull out of a side road on the main.

So i need to get is sorted before I can get back on the road again. I believe this may have started the other day when I put the car into reverse and weirdly the LED lights on the gear selector stick stopped working and now just stay on permanently regardless of which gear I am in. I have also noticed the alarm going off a lot more than usual. I recently changed the battery a few months back so I don't think its that. Any advice on where to start?

Post #393930 8th Jul 2020 9:15 am
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

I would guess the lighting stalk switch is faulty.

Also check for water damage in the fuse boxes.

Has your car been modified to use LED lights anywhere, as these can cause havoc with CANBUS electrical systems.

Just some ideas for you.

Post #393933 8th Jul 2020 9:29 am
devondave

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Have you tried a Hard Reset?

Post #393934 8th Jul 2020 9:36 am
Beanymash

Thanks for the replies

So far I checked all fuses are ok and looked for signs of water, none. I checked wiring for any signs of rust or corrosion but nothing obvious. One thing I did notice is that with the ignition on I can hear the headlamp alignment motors whirring on occasion, then the main beam lights come on including rear lights etc then all goes off and randomly flicks on and off. No other electrical systems are affected, indicators work fine, hazards, locks, stereo etc.

I will try a hard reset as suggested (will google it as never done one) and to answer the replies, no modifications of any sort have been added.

Is there another fusebox relating to the lighting rig as I cannot see any fuses to disable the lights. Just for daytime driving to at least get me to a garage? I checked the box next to the battery in the engine bay and the one in the boot but they all just seem to be related to lamp washers and wipers rather than the lights themselves?

Post #393988 8th Jul 2020 11:26 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Here is a clip about the fuse boxes, I think you will find the lighting ones below the glovebox.

Good luck with it. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #393989 9th Jul 2020 4:35 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hard reset is simply disconnecting the battery for a few minutes windows need to be reset after.

Post #393990 9th Jul 2020 4:59 am
Beanymash

Many thanks for the video of the fuses, very helpful! I removed the fuse for the main beam but bizarrely it remained on, still flashing randomly and the motors for the headlight adjustment whirring away still. Removed the fuse for those and they stopped but the odd behaviour with the headlights continues. Is there a relay switch I should check next? just to confirm as well, the light switch on the dash doesn't work, the indicator stalk does work but I cannot engage full beam whilst this odd flashing and turning on and off of the headlights is going on. I also realised it is turning in the rear lights too as would normally happen when you engage main beam.

Post #394061 10th Jul 2020 9:57 am
3landertwo

Take out the headlamps and check the connectors to the bulbs. these sometimes can melt, i am told. It could be causing a short.

Post #394065 10th Jul 2020 10:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1