TOYOTA ATF Type T
TOYOTA ATF Type T-II
TOYOTA ATF Type T-III
TOYOTA ATF Type T-IV
TOYOTA ATF WS
TOYOTA ATF JWS 3324
NISSAN MATIC D
NISSAN MATIC J

Plus many many more but Land Rover not specifically named although it does say " and many others "

Not recommended for CVT and DCT systems!

Many thanks in advance

Clive If it ain't ***ked don't fix it

Last edited by mgwanderer on 14th Aug 2018 11:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #354961 14th Aug 2018 10:08 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

The autobox is made by Aisin Warner in Japan (its used by many car manufacturers)

Check your user manual specifications.

Its either JWS 3309 or on later models JWS 3324 (not sure when the change over occurred) Jules

Post #354963 14th Aug 2018 11:05 am
mgwanderer

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

Thanks Jules but as you can see it meets both JWS 3309 and JWS 3324 thats according to the sales bumff

Post #354968 14th Aug 2018 11:33 am
alex_pescaru

They norms are compatible and miscible. 3309 is mineral and thicker, 3324 is synthetic and thinner.

Post #354975 14th Aug 2018 2:02 pm
mgwanderer

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

Alex,
thank you very much for the quick answer, it is quite complicated and I wondered how it is possible to comply to both specifications with one oil which this one does claim, or is the higher specification good in both applications ????

Many Thanks

Post #354982 14th Aug 2018 4:08 pm
alex_pescaru

Each specification is requesting that the oil to comply with a set of requirements. A certain viscosity, a certain friction coefficient, a certain antifoaming resistance, a certain antioxidizing capability, a certain lubrication capability, a certain pressure resistance, a certain temperature resistance, etc. It's a transmission "fluid", not just an oil.

If a manufacturer, by utilizing certain additives, manages to find the right balance between all these, you can say that he has produced an universal oil that complies with all (targeted) specifications.
But he never knows all components (and from which materials they are built) in all gearboxes and therefore some of the additives in that "universal" oil may react to certain component materials inside the gearbox and slowly damage those components in time.

When a gearbox manufacturer is designing a new gearbox and he has a certain oil in mind, he will make sure that will be using the right alloys that will be neutral to the additives in that oil specification.

When Aisin has designed the gearbox, he had in mind the Toyota T-IV (3309) and later the Toyota WS (3324) oil specifications.

I, for one, will try to use these specific oils or any other oils that will be as restricted as possible to only these specifications. Not an universal oil. In this way, I will minimize the chance of an additional additive (put there for another specification) to interact with the gearbox internals.
I don't say here that, maybe, a certain oil will not work. It could work OK, who knows, maybe better, but I don't have the time and money to experiment which will be the long time effects of using other oils...

So, each for his own... Just my 2 cents. Thumbs Up

LE:
From what I am remember, there was at some point a massive recall for a certain VW DSG gearbox, where VW has used a synthetic oil in that DSG gearbox and a certain additive in that oil has interacted with some rubber components inside the box, slowly render it unusable. They've recalled a lot of cars to switch back to a mineral oil that is OK with the those rubber components.

Post #354983 14th Aug 2018 5:02 pm
jules

jules wrote:
The autobox is made by Aisin Warner in Japan (its used by many car manufacturers)

Check your user manual specifications.

Its either JWS 3309 or on later models JWS 3324 (not sure when the change over occurred)

Oops - didnt see JWS 3324 under Toyota (sneeky Wink )

Never seen Fanfaro advertised in the UK Jules

Post #354989 14th Aug 2018 6:38 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

alex_pescaru wrote:
Each specification is requesting that the oil to comply with a set of requirements. A certain viscosity, a certain friction coefficient, a certain antifoaming resistance, a certain antioxidizing capability, a certain lubrication capability, a certain pressure resistance, a certain temperature resistance, etc. It's a transmission "fluid", not just an oil.

If a manufacturer, by utilizing certain additives, manages to find the right balance between all these, you can say that he has produced an universal oil that complies with all (targeted) specifications.
But he never knows all components (and from which materials they are built) in all gearboxes and therefore some of the additives in that "universal" oil may react to certain component materials inside the gearbox and slowly damage those components in time.

When a gearbox manufacturer is designing a new gearbox and he has a certain oil in mind, he will make sure that will be using the right alloys that will be neutral to the additives in that oil specification.

When Aisin has designed the gearbox, he had in mind the Toyota T-IV (3309) and later the Toyota WS (3324) oil specifications.

I, for one, will try to use these specific oils or any other oils that will be as restricted as possible to only these specifications. Not an universal oil. In this way, I will minimize the chance of an additional additive (put there for another specification) to interact with the gearbox internals.
I don't say here that, maybe, a certain oil will not work. It could work OK, who knows, maybe better, but I don't have the time and money to experiment which will be the long time effects of using other oils...

So, each for his own... Just my 2 cents. Thumbs Up

LE:
From what I am remember, there was at some point a massive recall for a certain VW DSG gearbox, where VW has used a synthetic oil in that DSG gearbox and a certain additive in that oil has interacted with some rubber components inside the box, slowly render it unusable. They've recalled a lot of cars to switch back to a mineral oil that is OK with the those rubber components.

Is the Toyota T-IV and the Toyota WS hence interchangeable for my model, 2008 LR2 i6? I am currently running Amsoil synthetic Signature series transmission fluid but I am concerned that the additives and detergents in this fluid might be cleaning the transmission too well. Since I did not own this vehicle from day one I am thinking about going back to the stock Aisin fluid, Type T-IV. Or should I use the Type WS?
I can get either from my parts guy at Toyota pretty cheap.

EDIT: The LR dealership wants $80CDN for 1 litre of LR002748 (likely ravenol?), which should be the same as Aisin Type T-IV..........absolutely NUTZ!!!!

Post #393666 3rd Jul 2020 8:27 pm
jules

I wonder if there are any significant differences between the FL2 Aisin gearbox that uses 3309 and the ones specced for 3324?

Or is it simply that when a better/more modern ATF came along (ie 3324) the spec was changed to use the later ATF and in fact the gearboxes are the same ? Jules

Post #393670 3rd Jul 2020 10:58 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The later gearbox features an improved ability to remain “in gear” at idle when (say) you are waiting at lights. Hence a “thinner” fluid. The earlier box does not like too much waiting in gear at idle.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #393686 4th Jul 2020 10:09 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Not sure but I inadvertently bought 3309 and put it into my later box. Have to say its silky smooth changes and my view is that it's going to be much better than the 65000 miles old oil that it replaced. I will change to the newer 3324 oil next change just for peace ov mind.

I never let mine idle in gear for longer than a few seconds anyway, I'm a great believer in 'mechanical sympathy' so that wont be an issue for me. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #393687 4th Jul 2020 10:16 am
jules

dunkley201 wrote:
The later gearbox features an improved ability to remain “in gear” at idle when (say) you are waiting at lights. Hence a “thinner” fluid. The earlier box does not like too much waiting in gear at idle.

Bob

Are you saying that mechanically the boxes are the same but by using different ATF they can do slightly different things through altered software ? Jules

Post #393716 4th Jul 2020 4:32 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

^^^.....Interesting question!

My problem, I just want to know if the 3309 (conventional) vs 3324(synthetic), if one is superior to the other. My experience with Amsoil lower unit synthetic transmission fluid for outboards, for example, is that it can allowed water intrusion through the say the cooling water pump likely due to the cleaning properties of that fluid. My buddy also noticed this with his lower unit on his bass boat. As soon as we both switched back to the stock non synthetic brand, no more leaks/water intrusion period.

I am personally leaning towards the 3309 as I have used the Amsoil Signature Series synthetic for two changes in the last 45,000 kms. Now, I am sure that the sub -20C cold start properties of the Amsoil is superior but I do park in a garage so that may not be relevant. Since, I also can classically overthink things, maybe it's just for peace of mind..... Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter

Post #393720 4th Jul 2020 5:18 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

[quote="jules"Are you saying that mechanically the boxes are the same but by using different ATF they can do slightly different things through altered software ?[/quote]

I said no such thing. “The later gearboxes feature an improved ability......”

They are “similar” but not the same (I do not have further detail), a later design with different part no’s.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #393736 5th Jul 2020 11:42 am
jules

Thanks Bob . I was interested to know whether the improved ability was a result of mechanical, software or ATF changes - probably all 3 I suppose Jules

Post #393769 5th Jul 2020 9:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>