Home > In Car Electronics > new stereo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hippo2

United Kingdom 
new stereo

hi all.
has anyone successfully changed there stereo and had everything still work after,
i have a 2010 td4 hse with alpine system in it, subwoofer to, i was wanting to get a kenwood or pioneer apple car play stereo.
read a few old posts on here from the search but nothing has come up that i need to know really,
i need to know exactly what i need and to make sure my steering controls, parking sensors and satnav all still work after,
as i did read that some have changed theres and some of these things have not worked after, went to halfords to look at the stereos and the bloke said i need a wiring kit, face blanking plate and some areal thing, stereo was about £330 £400 with the other bits, but then he said it may need a mesh box to go in or a cradle, cant remember exactly what he called it, sure he said they were about £300, so id like to know for sure what i will need and how much it would cost before proceeding.all i want to do really is be able to play music from my iPhone,
many thanks.

lee

Post #393672 4th Jul 2020 3:38 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

For a bit of Car Play, I wouldn't bother replacing the head unit. You'll need to factor in the cost of the head unit, faceplate, multiple cabling and harnesses, possible loss of subwoofer without buying new amp etc.

The head unit in the FL2 does so much more than just play music. I personally just put a neat little phone mount on my dash and just pop my phone on it. At that point either get a little Bluetooth receiver for a few £ which you can hide away and connect to the aux in, or neatly run a cable up to the phone on the dash.

It's not as pretty, but there are so many little sacrifices Ive seen when replacing the head unit that it's never going to be perfect.

So you won't have steering wheel controls for track skipping, but other than that you get all the same functionality and most apps now, such as Spotify or Google Maps, are designed to run in car modes so are easy to use when in a cradle.

Hope that helps. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #393684 4th Jul 2020 10:01 am
hippo2

United Kingdom 

thanks mate, very helpful, and a lot cheaper solution,
do you mean something like this,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-4-2-R...fbf495741f

thanks.

lee

Post #393697 4th Jul 2020 12:25 pm
Chuckalicious

Something like that, yes. There are 100s of Bluetooth receivers available on eBay and Amazon.

My advice would be that if you go that way, once you connect your phone to it, in the connection options for that Bluetooth device (on your phone), set it to not be used for phone calls. A lot of them double as hands free kits and they are rubbish. You're far better keeping your car Bluetooth connection for the phone so the steering wheel controls still work.

Alternatively, you can use this, which I also have, which gives excellent quality DAB radio plus control over the Bluetooth music.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FL1NRRT/r...aFb7B73BT4

This is what I'm currently using, so I have this on the dash so can lift hand from wheel to skip tracks. Next to it is my phone (if I choose to have it out my pocket) so I could use it for GPS. The audio quality from the Pure is amazing and the difference is incredible if you don't have DAB but enjoy the radio. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #393698 4th Jul 2020 12:30 pm
Chuckalicious

Click image to enlarge
 Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #393699 4th Jul 2020 1:07 pm
hippo2

United Kingdom 

that looks just the job, is that just connected into the fag lighter?
thanks.

lee

Post #393717 4th Jul 2020 4:32 pm
Chuckalicious

You can do, but if you want a more permanent solution, do what I and lots of others here have done and hard wire a 12v cig lighter socket in the glovebox (lots of info via search on that one).

In this instance it's particularly useful because the Pure is in 2 parts, the controller you see in the photo which is battery powered and the antenna which is powered. Site it on the upper passenger side of the windscreen, run the power and audio cables down the pillar, into the glovebox and you're done. Although you'll still need to run the audio cable to the aux in of course. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #393721 4th Jul 2020 5:30 pm
grumsel

Netherlands 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinivo-BTC450-Blu...amp;sr=1-2 hidden under the chair (I don't use the controls on it).

The cable is long enough to reach the aux input. The sound is also very good. I stream music from my phone, even stream radio stations using my phone. The sound of the streamed radio station is a lot better than the sound of the standard FM radio. I power it with the front power socket (which is switched).

Post #393723 4th Jul 2020 5:48 pm
Chuckalicious

Yup, that would also work well 👍 so many options out there if you're happy with the standard head unit. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #393724 4th Jul 2020 5:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1