« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Drivers side Footwell Light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Scudmonkey

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Drivers side Footwell Light

The Foot well Light unit seems positioned wrong as it illuminates the inside of the dashboard very nicely but doesn't illuminate the foot well at all. I can see it through the gap to the right side of the steering column and the light is pointing toward the side of the car. How do you access the unit? And how is it fixed as i want to try to reposition it where it should be. But I can't see how to get access to it.

Post #393249 27th Jun 2020 1:33 am
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

If I recall correctly it’s just a bulb holder that clips into the trim under your dashboard. Slide the seat backwards as far as it will go then lie on your back. You’ll see it. Just reverse it.

Post #393263 27th Jun 2020 8:51 am
Scudmonkey

Thats what I thought, but can't see how to reach it. There is a Vent pipe there (Presumably part of the air vent system) which stops me getting my hand near the unit. And looking up from under the Dash I can't actually see the holder, just the light that comes from it. Only way i can actually see the holder is if i look through the gap under the steering column

Post #393273 27th Jun 2020 10:45 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The fitting is just above centre in this photo (globe removed from mine for other reasons), the vent is above it. Push the driver's seat back, get on your back & look up. Be careful you don't put your back out.

Click image to enlarge

The red outline is different topic (additional sound proofing) Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #393279 27th Jun 2020 12:33 pm
Scudmonkey

Many thanks for the picture. I've just been out and tried again and have discovered the issue. There is no means of fixing on the light (I'm guessing a previous owner broke it), just the squareish shape of the unit with a bulb in and 2 wiring plugs connected, so they had just shoved the light over the top of the vent so it sat on the inside of the dash which is why i couldn't reach it and why it wasn't illuminating the footwell. I took the Instrument panel surround out and was able to reach down the side of the steering column and soon as i touched the light it moved, was able to pick it up and examine it (Looked through the access panel on the end of the Dash).

Post #393284 27th Jun 2020 1:16 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The light fitting is simply stapled onto the vent. Staple is a bit heavier than staples for paper. A bit of wire threaded through some pin holes & twisted will do the trick. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #393285 27th Jun 2020 1:26 pm
Scudmonkey

Just discovered that, again thanks for the Photo it provided invaluable help. From your Pic I was able to see where exactly the light should be, so after some swearing and cursing i managed to get it back to it's correct position (not easy maneuvering it with 2 Fingers from inside the dash),finally got it out from behind the dash which is when i spotted the staples. Some more swearing and cursing then ensued in trying to drill a small hole and fit the unit back into place on the vent using a small self tapping screw (Hard to do one handed as the amount of room under there meant i couldn't get both hands in to hold everything and get the screw started). However have finally managed to get it fixed back into position.

The joys of buying a used car, that's the second nasty job I've had. 1st one was sorting the Handbrake. Replacing the shoes should have been an easy job BUT someone in the past had done the Hub retaining bolt up mega tight on the drivers side(I sheared a Torx bit trying to undo it). Fortunately I have a friend who manages a Garage and he got one of his Mechanics to undo the bolt, even he struggled but luckily it started to undo just as he was about to give up after 40 minutes of trying. I wont say just how bad the shoes were but simply say that the lower shoe disintegrated and fell on the ground when i took the hub off. Mechanism and adjuster were both locked solid. Now all working as it should. On the plus side the Brake pads and caliper were good, and so far I haven't found any other issues

Post #393288 27th Jun 2020 2:31 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1