Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Scraping sound from Gen4 Haldex unit.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Garan

Wales 
Scraping sound from Gen4 Haldex unit.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else has/is suffering the same issue with their FL2. Bought a 2012 SD4 with 63k on it at the beginning of the month. Two days later I heard a light scraping noise coming from the rear and also noticed the handbrake was a bit sloppy in feel, however it did hold the car well and I live on quite a steep hill. I’d read about them having issues with the handbreak so I put 2&2 together and thought they would most likely be related. I contacted the dealer as he’d given me a 3 month warranty and as we’re approximately 100 miles/2hrs apart he asked if I could get it looked at and send him a report. The garage did indeed find that the rear breaks had a build up of crud and were also pretty much shot so suggested total replacement. They also said they had noticed that the rear Diff was all shiny and obviously new but couldn’t rule out an issue with it due to the noise the breaks were making. The report and costs were sent to and approved by the dealer and the breaks were duly replaced and although it is quieter there is still a scraping noise. In between all this happening I had decided to get the Haldex serviced, so stuck my head under to identify which generation it is and noticed the stickers on the pump were in very good nick having spent 8 yrs under a car so suspect it’s been swapped also. Yesterday I had to again contact the dealer who is being really good at the moment telling me not to worry as it’s his problem not mine but again asked if I could get some further advice. I rang Bell Engineering and the gentleman I spoke to was really helpful and well aware of such a problem advising that the noise would be coming from the Haldex unit not the diff and went on to inform me that they had stopped supplying the units as of last week due to this exact issue and that at the moment nobody knows why they are making this noise. He also said that new units are available from LR but at a cost of 3K, not sure how the dealer will take that news!. Someone else has obviously been chasing this same problem around previously hence all the new parts. So as I said I was just woundering if anyone else was in the same boat as I really don’t know what to do at the moment, don’t want it going out of warranty and becoming a money pit.

Post #393139 25th Jun 2020 1:30 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I agree the previous owner tried then got rid,good luck Thumbs Up

Post #393142 25th Jun 2020 1:50 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Just a thought, is there a way of identifying where the haldex came from?
If it's from Bell Engineering I am fairly sure that they would honour any warranty - once they find the cause.
If it's from LR, maybe it's covered by a 12 month parts warranty. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #393145 25th Jun 2020 2:10 pm
Garan

Wales 

Possibly, but I have no paperwork covering what’s been done so have no idea who’s carried out the work. As I remember the previous owner details used to be on the log book but seemingly not any more, probably due to GDPR, so I can’t contact them to find out any details either.

Post #393166 25th Jun 2020 6:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1