« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Voice control for phone system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Philip16storm

United Kingdom 
Voice control for phone system

I know this has been covered a few times but from what I can see there has been know real answer just lots of off topic diversion!!
Does a 2007 with alpine system have voice control for the phone system?
I note in the hand book it refers to voice tags but have absolutely no idea what a voice tag is!!!!

Post #392660 15th Jun 2020 9:11 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

no there is no voice control in a 2007, that only came in with the 2013 model year facelift.

does the manual state what it means by voice tags ?

Post #392668 16th Jun 2020 7:50 am
Philip16storm

United Kingdom 

Thank you RogB, its the definitive answer i needed.
No there is just a reference to voice tags and how to call them, no explanation what they are, they may be an old redundant feature of phones from years gone by as we all know how technology moves on so quickly.

But last night i got bored and spent ages sat on the drive playing with the system!!!
Sorry this is going to be a long post but hopefully will help others in using the cars full potential.

With the phone connected to the FL you can pull and hold (2 secs) the green answer button on the steering wheel, this then reads "dialling voice tags" on the centre unit, after a second or so my google assist (i have a huawei run by google) on the phone then asks me "what would you like to do" i say call home, the phone (not the car) then calls home but as it is connected to the car all is done through the speakers/handsfree. So in essence you are using hands free google assist on your telephone which is relayed though the cars system. Unlike voice control which is the car doing all the work but it is the same outcome.
GREAT i think basically you do have a rudimentary voice control and worked when i called home perfectly....BUT there are several down sides, as you are talking to your phone it needs to be somewhere near, i.e the cup holder, don't think it would work well if it was in your pocket or glove box etc.
Also i thought i would try to call my office, but because google assist accesses the internet as well as your phone book it can also search for numbers not in your phone book, this ended up in me calling my local post office!!!! Not so good!
The main down side is it is all a bit of a hassle and operating a hands free needs to be done quickly and more importantly safely, so i will most likely be using the controls on the steering wheel from now on to scroll through the numbers etc.
Hope this makes sense and helps any other wondering what the "voice tags" option does

Post #392672 16th Jun 2020 8:27 am
RogB

get a decent dash phone holder for the vents so that way the phone remains hands free and the phone microphone can pick up your voice clearly for google assistant, Like you say that then gives you some form of voice operated hands free dialling.

I use a wireless charging holder in my D4 which obviously has to remain plugged into a USB source but its the best one ive ever had. Cost about £8 off Amazon.

Post #392675 16th Jun 2020 10:18 am
Philip16storm

United Kingdom 

That's not a bad idea! Will look for one now.

Post #392687 16th Jun 2020 6:58 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I've got a really nice mount that sticks to the dash rather than a vent - I've always been concerned that if you're running your heaters on high during the winter you may cook your phone a bit.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T0I54Q8/r...6EbYG9A7ZE

This one is really small and works brilliantly. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #392712 17th Jun 2020 7:44 am
RogB

if the vent is open then yes the phone and holder does get warm/cold very quickly, but I just turn the rotary dial for that vent to shut and its been fine.
But its personal preference Thumbs Up

Post #392729 17th Jun 2020 11:43 am
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have a Brodit Freelander specific mount that sits round the offside heater vent. Never had a problem in winter with heating on, nor in summer driving in heat of southern France. Indeed, the Aircon helps keep phone cool.

https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicles/L...?steer=rhd Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #392735 17th Jun 2020 1:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1