Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Spamerio

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Zermatt Silver
Haldex issue/query

Hi all

After a bit of guidance.

Last week my 2010 TD4 developed a juddering fault turning at slow speeds. "Get in line" I hear you say!

So after a bit of trawling around I began to suspect the haldex. Have removed FB6 fuse and voila - no judder.

Freely is booked in for its annual (9 year) service in 10 days so when my indy garage opens on Monday will ask if they can service the haldex at the same time to see if that makes any difference.

Question becomes what to do until then? Is driving with the dodgy haldex engaged damaging the transmission? If so, can I keep FB6 removed (and just put up with the dash warnings)? Or can I unplug the haldex (and is that difficult to do with little mechanical knowledge)?

Of course I should just keep it parked on the driveway but that causes all sorts of headaches.

Help from you knowledgeable lot appreciated.

Sarah

Post #378310 14th Sep 2019 4:01 pm
Volrider

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

Sorry to bump this thread but as I have a similar problem I was wondering if its safe to drive or will it cause damage to other parts? 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #386969 23rd Feb 2020 2:57 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

AFAIK removing the fuse just switches the haldex unit off so the driveline cannot then connect with rear diff, rendering the car FWD only . I doubt any further damage will be done to the haldex unit but you will get alert messages IIRC and front wheelspin on hard acceleration from standstill on wet surfaces. Jules

Post #386999 24th Feb 2020 6:43 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Its not unknown for unscrupulous dealers to remove the propshaft completely to hide a defective haldex. The unsuspecting buyer drives off with a FWD only FL2 but with no alerts showing because the haldex remains electrically connected. Jules

Post #387001 24th Feb 2020 6:46 am
Volrider

Thanks for the reply, if I leave things as they are for now with the issue just on low speed turning, mainly pulling away, will that cause issues for other components or is it a "get it fixed now" issue?? 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #387002 24th Feb 2020 7:41 am
Badger51

Australia 

You're not far from these guys, give them a call & get it sorted asap.

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk

Cheers,

Nick (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #387003 24th Feb 2020 7:56 am
Volrider

Ok removed fuse FB1 and despite all the warnings that the end of the world is nigh I drove it and it was perfect around corners pulling away etc, popped FB1 back in and the issues returned so I am happy (or unhappy) that the issue is with the Haldex side of things, I have emailed Bell Engineering and hopefully they can give me advice and a repair, will keep you posted 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #387071 25th Feb 2020 2:48 pm
arcturus28

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I've had the exact same problem recently. Pulled the fuse and the problem disappeared, so of course I suspected the Haldex.

However, I had my brake discs/pads replaced all round last week and now the judder is nearly gone! I couldn't believe it; I drove around for a good half hour just trying to replicate the problem. I have to strain to hear it now, whereas before it was very loud indeed, and it shook the car. I'm still getting it serviced soon- I'm not going to tempt fate with this.

Long story short, get your brakes checked first (incl handbrake). I thought mine were fine but they were getting very long in the tooth and the new set has made a great difference to braking performance. So, better braking and the (supposed) Haldex issue is nearly gone!

I don't quite understand how this has (nearly) fixed the problem, but it certainly has. My guess is the rear brakes were sticking and the Haldex was fighting them, and caused a judder. Pure guesswork, but my experience seems to suggest something along those lines.

Post #387099 26th Feb 2020 1:39 pm
Volrider

I have contacted Bell and the car is booked in 31st March for probable Haldex replacement.
Re the brakes, the car has done only 16k miles and I doubt that would be the issue if you remove the fuse it cuts out the 4X4 system so if the noise goes thats not brakes, it may be you had a brake issue as well? I hope it stays good for you though Smile 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #387113 26th Feb 2020 9:42 pm
CT1

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

I'm interested in this thread also as I have the same symptoms on n/s rear, cars done about 50k miles pads look ok but could be handbrake snatching, it doesn't happen every time just occasionally when you pull away.

Post #388744 22nd Mar 2020 1:18 pm
ianmac21

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Ipanema Sand

Hi, I had this problem, I changed rear discs and pads and now everything is fine. Cool

Post #390923 8th May 2020 11:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1