Home > Technical > Flexible brake hose Beware
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand
Flexible brake hose Beware

Hello all

Well I just thought I would share this with you all, maybe you already know but a search on here did not show up the issue for me.

My motor is now 6 years and I thought if LR suggest replacing the flexible brake hoses then for the cost, why not, so I ordered a pair of Front hoses LR040770 and a pair of Rear hoses LR008149 (the same as my last freely).

On receipt of said parts I waited for the rain to stop and the wind to drop so I could raise the bonnet without it taking off, broke out the tools, jacked it up and took off the rear wheels only to find the rear hoses are not the same as my 2010 model, some sneaky person at LR decided a hose with a banjo at the calliper end would be a good idea.

So after a bit of serious surfing I managed to find out that later Freely models have this LR044896 brake hose for the rear.

So for anyone out there with a pre 2013 model year, I have a couple of LR008149 rear brake hoses going for £12 plus a bit for postage. PM me for details  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #387043 25th Feb 2020 1:33 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

What with the electric rear handbrake and other changes I believe that the post 2013 models have quite few differences as LR started using parts from the Evoque platform.

Your story reminds me of the time a few year back when a colleague was going to do a job on the rear axle of his car. He jacked it up in his garage and took everything apart and then discovered that he couldn't get the half shaft out as the wall of the house was in the way. He had to put it all back together and move the car a few yards out of the garage and start again. Laughing 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #387058 25th Feb 2020 10:26 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

As the Freelander 2 is now pushing eleven years old (Only 63k and has had a load of major failure points replaced ) I decided that it would get a super service, Maltings Did the 10 year and changed the belt and water pump last year ) . Loads of top spec bits from Opie Oils ,: Oil , brake fluid , air filter , fuel filter , oil filter and active carbon cabin filter . Costco was the source for Prestone coolant .

Also just because I might as well I bought from Maltings , a 4 line set of stainless braided , PTFE brake hoses . The whole lot is getting fitted “on the side “ by a mechanic friend , as at 11 years a garage stamp isn’t going to make a whole lot of difference to it’s resale vale

Maltings were great to deal with , the braided hoses are super quality , and a little longer so will accommodate a suspension lift ( if anyone is that way inclined ) , they were selling at £107 on their eBay site , but I ordered via telephone to make sure they would fit , and the chap I was talking to knocked the auction costs off and let me have them for £99 . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #387090 26th Feb 2020 6:38 am
CT1

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

dorsetfreelander wrote:
What with the electric rear handbrake and other changes I believe that the post 2013 models have quite few differences as LR started using parts from the Evoque platform.

Your story reminds me of the time a few year back when a colleague was going to do a job on the rear axle of his car. He jacked it up in his garage and took everything apart and then discovered that he couldn't get the half shaft out as the wall of the house was in the way. He had to put it all back together and move the car a few yards out of the garage and start again. Laughing

Thats funny...

When we were 18 ish my mate had a series 2a Landrover, he drove it like he stole it and broke one of the rear half shafts. 5 hours later AA came to the rescue, after assesing the issue the guy removed the broken shaft put it into 4 wheel drive and said there you go you can drive home in front wheel drive. My mate said I did think of that but thought I'd best wait for your opinion. lol

Post #388077 12th Mar 2020 7:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1