« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Some Good (Car) News
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Some Good (Car) News

At last some positive news, it seems that Nissan are going to invest in Britain.

Nissan: Sunderland plant spends £52m to build new Qashqai.

Nissan's European chairman Gianluca de Ficchy has repeatedly warned that the company's entire European business could be at risk if the UK and the EU don't do a deal that safeguards frictionless, tariff-free trade across the channel. He repeated the point just last week.
His argument is that because around 70% of the cars built in Sunderland are exported to the EU, the introduction of 10% tariffs (under WTO trading terms) could undermine the company's business model in the region.
Despite that, it's clear Nissan is pressing ahead with substantial new investments at the plant and has every intention to build the new Qashqai there. So has the company been crying wolf? Are Mr de Ficchy's public statements just empty threats?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-51771624 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #387769 7th Mar 2020 12:25 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

From an article linked in that story

Quote:
The future of Nissan’s Sunderland factory remains in doubt amid the ongoing trade negotiations between the UK and the European Union, the car-maker’s European chairman said today.

Britain has until the end of the year to reach a free-trade agreement with the EU. If it fails, a 10 per cent tariff would be applied to cars and parts that could spell the end for many auto plants in the UK.

... if the outcome of Brexit negotiations does not suit Nissan, it could make the Qashqai, Juke and electric Leaf models – which are currently made in Sunderland – at its partner Renault’s plants.

If top European car-makers such as Volskwagen faced tariffs when they imported to the UK, Nissan could sell its cars more cheaply to British customers and potentially steal market share.

At the time, however, Nissan Europe denied any such plans exist, stoking uncertainty around the car-producer’s presence in Britain when the Brexit transition period ends in 2021

Article dated 24th Feb 2020...

Seems they want clarification over our Brexit negotiations

Also, this investment was announced quite some time ago. Works have now been completed Thumbs Up

Post #387772 7th Mar 2020 6:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

just because a company plough money on new manufacturing lines in to a factory it means it will stay open, all they would do is strip it out and move it.

Seen it done many times, hope not but we have all seen how these car makers work.

A British made with British parts car is the answer Wink

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #387782 7th Mar 2020 10:37 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A country may make parts & complete cars, but there are so many parts coming from all parts of the world you just can't make everything. I doubt UK has the iron ore & all the alloying elements for steel & aluminium. Also probably not making CPUs either. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #387783 7th Mar 2020 11:04 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Unfortunately Brexit or not the Japanese would be moving out or drastically reducing production in Britain/Europe regardless, for the past few years Japan has been brokering a deal with the EU to get a tariff free import of Japanese built vehicles (the very reason the car plants are here in the first place), they got the agreement late last year. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #387787 7th Mar 2020 12:22 pm
Largered

JulesK wrote:

Tooooooooo expensive on BOTH accounts, labour and bit parts. Britain is no longer a manufacture.

Now India is another matter. Very Happy

Post #387789 7th Mar 2020 1:30 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That’s why they wanted to get out of Britain, Japan is just as pricey to manufacture in BUT the Japanese still value homeland manufacturing and employment hence the deal with the EU regarding JAPAN built vehicles not attracting tariffs, they have been wanting this for years, nay decades. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #387807 7th Mar 2020 8:16 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Think I better explain that was a tounge in cheek comment Rolling Eyes

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #387819 8th Mar 2020 10:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1