Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tony g

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
changing fuel pump sender on lr2 2012 sd hse

Hi All

I have an hse sd lr2 2012 model 61 reg

Has anyone changed their fuel sender /pump units on their lr2 sd hse without taking the tank out. I was thinking it may be possible from the area under the rear ns seat in the floor if the panel was made bigger. I was thinking of cutting the floor out a bit and making a new panel to replace it with that would bolt back in place once the work was done. I don't know if this would compromise the floor integrity or not but it struck me that it would save a lot of work in getting the tank out.

I anyone has done such a thing or has any ideas if it could be done I would welcome your assitance.

Many thanks as ever and happy Christmas

Tony

Post #383278 26th Dec 2019 6:04 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

two things come to mind.
1) I remember a block of plastic between the tank and the seat base that made access difficult, If you have the right tool to undo the ring holding the sensor down this might not be an issue, but I used a hammer and screwdriver which needs a good bit of work room.
2) I was worried about sealing the hole back up again, but I do have a love of wading, so this might be less of an issue for you. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #383290 26th Dec 2019 11:06 pm
tony g

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
changing fuel pump sender on lr2 2012 sd hse

Hi Andy131

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the access. This is one of the reasons I consided cutting out some more of the floor. I guess it relies on the cutting of the floor not causing an issue with the structural integrity of the car after doing so.

I did look at getting a removal tool for the ring on the tank and on this site someone sugested the mercedes tool as it was half the price of the LR one.

Am I right in assuming that you did actually change the sender without removing the tank?

regards

Tony

Post #383339 28th Dec 2019 10:28 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I hit the tank hard off-road, so it never lined up with the access hole.
No I dropped the tank twice, once to see what parts were needed, then a couple of weeks later to replace both senders and fuel transfer pump.

Much later I fitted a tank guard. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #383379 28th Dec 2019 8:10 pm
Claire0208

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Help, my Ruby has broken her fuel pump Big Cry is there an easier way to change it than having to drop the exhaust, prop and tank to access it ? if not how long am i looking at to do this job ?? Thanks in advance

Post #387367 1st Mar 2020 5:45 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

look under the rear drivers side seat, there should be a large rubber bung. remove the bung and have a look.
You never know it might line up and you might be able to get the fuel pump out.

If not it takes a day to drop the prop, and tank Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #387375 1st Mar 2020 7:38 pm
Badger51

Australia 

[quote="Claire0208"]Help, my Ruby has broken her fuel pump Big Cry is there an easier way to change it than having to drop the exhaust, prop and tank to access it ? if not how long am i looking at to do this job ?? Thanks in advance[/quote

I think the tank has to be dropped. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #387382 1st Mar 2020 9:15 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

As pointed out, there is a fuel pump in the tank but .....
The tank is a saddle design, so when you fill up the fuel reaches a ridge and then flows into the other side of the tank, this fuel is pumped when required bank to the primary side of the tank.
At no point does the in-tank pump, pump fuel out of the tank. The fuel is sucked out of the tank using the mechanical pump on the engine.

The car will start and run without the electric fuel pump - you will only be able to use the fuel in the primary side, but and it's a big but, if you have air in the system you will NEVER be able to start the engine. If changing the fuel filter and you don't either fill the filter with fuel first, or you don't have a means of priming the fuel system you are going to flatten the battery trying to start the car. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #387394 2nd Mar 2020 7:37 am
Claire0208

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

ok now im even more confused - when I broke down, the RAC man hit the tank and the engine started again hence why he told me it was the fuel pump, if this is wrong then I fear I may have wasted several hundred pounds buying a new pump plus I have now taken it to a garage for them to do !

Post #387430 2nd Mar 2020 3:47 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The top of the tank has a connector, this is for the TWO fuel gauges (saddle tank remember) and the fuel pump.
Loosing the fuel pump just means you will only loose half the tank. Loosing either fuel gauge and the ECU cannot determine the fuel level and so shuts down the engine - to prevent you running out of fuel and requiring a great deal of effort bleeding the system.

Hitting the tank will if you are lucky temporarily disturb a loose connection and get you running again.
Many years ago there was a rash of loose connectors inside the fuel tanks and a lot of us ended up changing the fuel senders for "fun". Censored Censored Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #387433 2nd Mar 2020 4:32 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Claire0208 wrote:
ok now im even more confused - when I broke down, the RAC man hit the tank and the engine started again hence why he told me it was the fuel pump, if this is wrong then I fear I may have wasted several hundred pounds buying a new pump plus I have now taken it to a garage for them to do !

Bill the RAC for the pump! (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #387441 2nd Mar 2020 9:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1