Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Witter detachable towbars - nose weights not what they seem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

If you do for a DS try one with the factory fit deployable unit.
Saves on shin wear.

OK our van is only 1350kg, with a ALKO hitch stabiliser and ALKO trailer control, so I can't give a valued opinion on stability as I would have to be doing something seriously wrong to even notice the van on the back.

But it definitely works well for me. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #383292 27th Dec 2019 12:19 am
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Time to close this one out, at least as far as the detachable swan neck is concerned. I spoke to VCA this morning and the situation is as follows:

When the tow bar bracket and tow ball assembly were tested for Type Approval, the tow ball used had its own Type Approval (E4 00-2164). However, for the purposes of Type Approval, the two items, i.e. tow bar bracket and tow ball, were tested as a single unit and rated at an S value of 150kg with Type Approval number E11 00-6815. Hence the note in the Type Approval documentation that if a tow ball other than the Witter one ZQ2037 were used, it must have an S value of at least 150kg.

Where the system went wrong was that Witter supplied a tow ball with its own Type Approval sticker when it should not have carried any sticker when used with the Land Rover Freelander 2 tow bar bracket as it was tested to the 150kg S value as an assembly.

So the guidance from VCA is that it is perfectly safe and legal to remove the Type Approval sticker from the tow ball and to rely on the 150kg S value of the sticker on the tow bar bracket. Witter will apparently ensure that in future, the Freelander 2 detachable swan neck tow bar assembly will only have one Type Approval sticker with an S value of 150kg.

I'd have to say that I'm not entirely convinced as the tow ball supplied carries a different part number, and Type Approval number, to the one used for the testing of the whole assembly but I'm assured that it is the same item, just with a different part number. Hmmm ....

What isn't clear, however, is how this affects the detachable flange tow ball as it wasn't used in the Type Approval test - it was a detachable swan neck - so the argument of a change in part number doesn't hold good. But I'll leave that to others to follow up on if they feel so inclined.

Post #386837 20th Feb 2020 12:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123