« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > oil filter access
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

william john wrote:
has any one used Smith and Alllen for their engines. Works out at about £30.00 for 6 litres including vat and delivery which seems good compared to branded oil.

Yes. Jules

Post #384055 7th Jan 2020 5:46 pm
william john

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Job completed today. Raised car and put sleeper blocks under front wheels. Drained oil and removed filter from below with 27mm ratchet combo spanner. Glad I bought this as it made the job of filter removal so easy. Used my local motor factor Monmore Auto Spare Wolverhampton for the oil, filter and new sump plug and copper washer which came as a kit. Oil is UltratecGtec2. 5w30 fully synthetic approved by Arnold Clark motor group.
£40.00 for the lot. Half an hour to do the change, 1hour to do all the prep work lifting and removing the bottom engine pan and the top engine cover. Recently done the air and pollen filters so will defo be doing oil and filters next time.

Post #384284 11th Jan 2020 3:27 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Does that oil have 'C1' in it's desciption which is the specification required for the SD4? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #384292 11th Jan 2020 6:01 pm
william john

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes I believe so. The chap at the factors assured me it was what I needed for my 2012 td4.

Post #384391 13th Jan 2020 3:02 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

I hope that knew what he was talking about.....these engines cost a lot to replace when they go bang Laughing

Post #384410 13th Jan 2020 5:59 pm
SeanD

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Hi there,
I managed to get access to the Oil Filter by removing the fan housing. You need to unclip some cables, but it just lifts out. It is a wee bit tricky to get past the hoses. You need to unclip then lift from the left up to about 45 degrees then lift out. This lets the "lugs" at the bottom right clear this big coolant hose. Re-fitting is right side down first then lower to the left. Doing this gives you full access to the filter housing for a 27mm socket. I could even get a torque wrench down when tightening up. Reason I did it this way was that I could not get hold of a 27mm flexible head ratchet spanner. I think next time I would use this from underneath as you need to get the undertray off anyway to drain the oil from the sump plug. Amazon is selling a Silverline for about £13. Will buy it for next time.
Cheers,
Very Happy

Post #386656 17th Feb 2020 6:05 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Bobupndown wrote:
Does that oil have 'C1' in it's desciption which is the specification required for the SD4?

Hopefully it was this type
https://www.smithandallan.com/products/pas...otor-oil-/ Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #386666 17th Feb 2020 7:44 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

SeanD wrote:
I think next time I would use this from underneath as you need to get the undertray off anyway to drain the oil from the sump plug.

...or pump it out with an electric oil transfer pump and a suitable gauge of tube down the dip stick hole. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #386690 18th Feb 2020 6:34 am
Milltime

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

SeanD wrote:
Hi there,
I managed to get access to the Oil Filter by removing the fan housing. You need to unclip some cables, but it just lifts out. It is a wee bit tricky to get past the hoses. You need to unclip then lift from the left up to about 45 degrees then lift out. This lets the "lugs" at the bottom right clear this big coolant hose. Re-fitting is right side down first then lower to the left. Doing this gives you full access to the filter housing for a 27mm socket. I could even get a torque wrench down when tightening up. Reason I did it this way was that I could not get hold of a 27mm flexible head ratchet spanner. I think next time I would use this from underneath as you need to get the undertray off anyway to drain the oil from the sump plug. Amazon is selling a Silverline for about £13. Will buy it for next time.
Cheers,
Very Happy

I’ve just taken the fan assembly off ours as I wanted more access to get the manifold off. Didn’t find it that easy to be honest. It came out exactly the way you describe (left side up looking in to engine compartment from the front) but getting it past some of the smaller pipes (power steering?) was a pig. The auto gearbox heat exchanger doesn’t help much either! This will be the first time the oil filter comes out the top as I’m carrying out the 10 year service too. Always been the bottom before.

Post #386873 20th Feb 2020 11:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12