« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New Severn Bridge Tolls being considered
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
New Severn Bridge Tolls being considered

I read in my local paper that the West of England 'Joint Local Transport Plan' has floated the idea of "Congestion Charges" for the England to Wales bridges.

Interestingly they say that the increasing rail fares have contributed to the traffic volume as "Trains could also become less attractive, as the cost of travelling by private car becomes comparable"

It seems that traffic has increased since the ending of tolls, although my experience is contrary to their report, as I think that traffic flow has got better since the toll booths were removed. Although as is normally the way the traffic congestion has moved further down the road to the next choke-point, the Newport M4 Tunnels.

I expect we can expect more and more of these 'Studies?' as Fuel Tax declines and a new revenue source is sought by both Local and National Governments.

I see this as an extension of the other 'ghost' motoring taxes like the rise of ever more street parking restrictions and the respective increase in parking charges.

As far as the appalling motorway congestion around Bristol (and within Bristol) is concerned, we have missed the boat years ago when we kept reviewing and cancelling road and rail improvements. Apart from shutting down the large Bristol Goods Handling Station at Temple Meads, the Bristol Ring Road was left unfinished, and the proposed Motorway Relief from M4 Bath Junction to M5 Weston super Mare Junction never got off the ground.

I do find it very frustrating when the same, foreseeable, problems are again and again, reviewed, but the solution is never properly implemented.

The BBC also has a shorter version of the story
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-51495980 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #386437 14th Feb 2020 10:31 am
Largered

what will the charge be ..... Severn Pounds Return.

Rolling with laughter
Sheep

Post #386452 14th Feb 2020 1:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1