Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Getting rear lights on with front DRLs 14MY
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue
Getting rear lights on with front DRLs 14MY

I was surprised to find that when my 2014 FL2 has the front LED DRL's on (the round LED spot) it does not have any lights on the rear at all.

If you switch to any other lights setting, the rear lights come on but then it turns off the DRL spots.

Is there a way, perhaps by modifying the CCF, to have the rear lights on with the DRLs volvo-style? They're LED so it's not like you'll be using a lot of bulbs or anything. I just feel safer with some lights on the back.

Post #386094 8th Feb 2020 2:57 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

I don't see why not. My DS has rear DRL's as well as fronts, but I am aware that it's only the HSE/HSE Luxury that has this feature. It also applies to F-Pace to MY19, but not after that for some odd reason...

Last edited by Sperly on 8th Feb 2020 3:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #386095 8th Feb 2020 3:00 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Re: Getting rear lights on with front DRLs 14MY

congoblue wrote:
I was surprised to find that when my 2014 FL2 has the front LED DRL's on (the round LED spot) it does not have any lights on the rear at all.

If you switch to any other lights setting, the rear lights come on but then it turns off the DRL spots.

Is there a way, perhaps by modifying the CCF, to have the rear lights on with the DRLs volvo-style? They're LED so it's not like you'll be using a lot of bulbs or anything. I just feel safer with some lights on the back.

Thought DRL were only ever front only? If you want lights all around during the day, surely it's easy enough to just switch on your sidelights?

Post #386097 8th Feb 2020 3:07 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Your dealer may be able to configure the lights to Scandinavian mode (legal requirement over in Sweden etc to have fronts and rears on at all times - remember all those complaints when Volvo started doing it?). However there have been reports on an Evoque forum of dealers refusing to do this. Allegedly a decree from Land Rover.
Totally agree that it's stupid not to have the rears on as well, but it's not a legal requirement in UK. With JLR it seems to be pot luck whether the rears come on or not. Some models do, some don't. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #386098 8th Feb 2020 3:35 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

congoblue wrote:

Why do you want rear lights in the daytime?

Surely if you put the lights on auto then all lights will come on when needed,
especially when you have auto wipers enabled.

Both my cars have auto light and wipers switch position, and that is what I use as you never have to worry about not having lights on.

There are too many people that think DRL's work at night, and then wonder why everyone is flashing them
due to not having rear lights on.
DRL's are not a substitute for headlights.
They are called Daytime Running Lights for a reason.

Last edited by TooBlue on 8th Feb 2020 3:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #386101 8th Feb 2020 3:54 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sidthecat wrote:
congoblue wrote:

Thought DRL were only ever front only? If you want lights all around during the day, surely it's easy enough to just switch on your sidelights?

It’s only the Nordic countries that the rear lamps illuminate with the DRLs, other world markets the DRLs are for visibility of the car approaching other road users so rear lamps not needed during daylight hours (or until the auto lights switch). Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #386103 8th Feb 2020 3:59 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Aha! That would explain mine having them then Boxbrownie. My DS is an ex JLR Management car, with the obligatory OE registration prefix, however when I looked it up on Topix before buying it, under literature pack it said 'Finnish'. Despite coming with all UK handbooks and Fleet card etc etc.

So that explains why I have rear DRL's and some HSE variants that I come up behind don't.....thanks for clarifying. Thumbs Up

Post #386105 8th Feb 2020 4:13 pm
Largered

so we must ask the question ...

is it DRL or side marker lamps you are looking for on the rear lamp cluster ??

I have a 09Reg GS with side marker lamps on the rear, they glow red.

Click image to enlarge

BUT .... wait for it ...... I had to drill the rear lamp cluster and fit lamp holders myself. They are wired into an ignition live circuit. These are NOT configurable through any CCF or soft/firmware, dealer select option.

read this thread .....
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic29146.html
click on link.

as you can see, I got flack for muddling rear DRL and side marker lamps in the past.

I have to add I do not have the front (amber) side marker lamps ..... as this was an USA option only. and we know they drive on the wrong side of the road to us.

Post #386106 8th Feb 2020 4:20 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sounds correct.... Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #386113 8th Feb 2020 5:47 pm
congoblue

Ok thanks for the replies.

If you switch to side lights, the front DRLs go off and you just have the LED "signature" outline on the headlights, which is not very bright on the Freelander (not like the DS and RR which are a lot brighter).

I know it isn't legally required to have lights at the back, I just prefer having them on, but it doesn't seem to be possible in the standard configuration.

That's an interesting point about the section at the bottom of the rear lights - mine are LED so look slightly different, the main section of that bottom part is the rear fog lights but there should be a marker light at the sides - however mine do not seem to light up there at all in any lighting state. The pic below is from one of PowerfulUK's videos.

Post #386126 8th Feb 2020 9:10 pm
Largered

PowerFul, have their own lamp built, to their spec. It is not the same spec as OEM LR part.

The Side Marker Lamp PowerFul show is not built in by LR for UK market (generally).
As my previous post indicated, you have to drill the cluster and fit them yourself. This is true for the 14MY as it was for my 09Reg.

Post #386138 9th Feb 2020 9:09 am
congoblue

Thanks for this info and link to the previous thread. When it stops being very windy and rainy I will have a look and see what the LR standard rear lights look like inside.

But if, as the previous thread you linked to says, it is just an option in the CCF to have rear lights on, I will have a go at getting that changed.

Post #386283 11th Feb 2020 8:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1