« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Exhaust camshaft breakdown
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Print this entire topic · 
JNF

United Kingdom 
L359 Diesel Camshaft breakage at HPP

Note that the engine is a PSA unit also used by Ford. Any history with them...if so what year manufacture?

If I remember in this event, the oil ways need to be thoroughly cleaned and flushed through, sump cleaned and fit new camshaft and while you are about it opportune to fit new timing belt, though in this type of fracture it would not have been stressed.

One would hope the oil filter would also capture any swarf but I would need to check the oil flow chart...

Somewhere there maybe an OK VIN Cut off....but don't hold your breath

Post #385510 30th Jan 2020 5:34 pm
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

A few comments after completing a pre emptive exhaust camshaft replacement on a 2007 model.

The current camshaft looks like a hybrid. Steel shaft, steel 'cup' to drive the fuel pump and chill cast lobes. The original was all chill cast. The slot ground in that chill cast to drive the pump showed that the grinding had elevated the temperature to blue / yellow at the edges ..
Chill cast camshafts are still in the aftermarket..........

I can only conclude early model camshaft failure was frequent enough to move to a more expensive hybrid camshaft.

If I were to do the job again, then take the secondary bulkhead (and battery box) out 1st , the extra room makes things so much easier.

I was surprised how quickly the HP side auto bled , no more than 10 seconds cranking, all new injector feed lines so they will have been empty.

Oh, and on that year model, the spec of refitting the camshaft position sensor with 7.5mm drill as a spacer must be off. I couldn't refit the sensor at that spacing , fortunately the original position was still plain to see.

The 2007 model doesn't have a fuel pump gasket , just an O ring. The depth from the bottom of the camshaft drive slot to the mounting surface is identical between shafts so the gasket wasn't introduced as a spacer.

Post #392868 19th Jun 2020 6:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678