« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 2014 propshaft bearing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
euan

Scotland 2013 LR2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red
2014 propshaft bearing

can any tell me if the propshaft centre bearing can be changed on a 2014 freelander2 4wd.
Robert.

Post #385215 25th Jan 2020 11:19 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

For what it's worth, back in early 2017 when I had a suspected bearing whine in that area I was told that it was not possible, and that an entirely new propshaft would be required if that were the case. (Fortunately it was the front IRD instead)

Post #385217 25th Jan 2020 11:32 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Well, they sell 'em so they are changeable. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/233421414587?chn=...A8QAvD_BwE
I’ve changed a few centre bearings in my time (not on Freelys though). Very easy, only 20 minutes work once the prop is off. Remove prop, remove centre nut and separate two halves (Mark it though as the prop may be out of balance afterwards), knock off old bearing with a chisel/drift, knock on new bearing (scaffold tube or deep socket on inner race normally does the trick), put two halves back together and refit prop. You’ll probably find plenty of how-to's on YouTube, they’re all the same method once the prop is off. Thumbs Up

Edit: This is a Freely 1 but changing the bit you needs starts at 7:45

Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #385219 26th Jan 2020 12:32 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Interesting video but also interesting that the hardy-spicer joints are retained by circlips rather than staked in after balancing. I thought that circlips went out years ago on prop shafts. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #385229 26th Jan 2020 11:01 am
Largered

No, I had cerclips on my 1966 Vauxhall Viva. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Shouldn't need balancing, providing, as Steve said, you mark both ends of the prop with their respective far ends. and mark the middle joint also.

I once built a custom car in the 70's, the original prop was too small. I went to the breakers and measured and measured until I found one the right size. re-made the 'tails' and bolted it on, no 'whipping' at all.

Post #385233 26th Jan 2020 12:45 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I knew a motorway policeman years ago who stopped to retrieve a metal tube off the carriageway. It turned out to be a propshaft. About a mile down the road was a car with four guys in it and the driver was complaining that he had a bit of vibration but ignored it then the vibration had stopped and the car had coasted to a halt. He was convinced that his clutch must have gone as no matter what gear he put it in and how much he revved the engine it wouldn't go. Evidently it looked like the rear joint had failed and dropped and the rest of the shaft then slid off the gearbox splines. Rolling with laughter 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #385246 26th Jan 2020 6:48 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Slightly off topic - but:

When the then new Routemaster buses first came into service they were able to get up a steep hill on a route near where I lived that the old Regent buses they were replacing could not climb when fully loaded. Half way up and the prop shaft fell off and the bus started to roll backwards down the hill. The driver managed to stop the bus with the help of a church wall so there must have been a bit of a bump. An old lady passenger's umbrella got broken so she got off the bus, went round to the drivers' cab and wacked him with the broken umbrella for breaking it. As far as I know the driver and the umbrella were the only casualties.

My school did a weekly swimming lesson at the local swimming pool and we were taken there and back by bus and the route included the steep hill. So what us little darlings did on the return journey when the bus got to the steepest part of the hill we would all go to the back of the bus and jump up and down and this caused the bus to stall. Sometimes the driver could restart the bus but not always. If he couldn't restart then we would all have to get off and walk up to the top of the hill and wait for the bus to get to the top so we could get back on and go back to school.

J

Post #385278 27th Jan 2020 11:55 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

^^^^^LOL, bus driver must have been a bit miffed! Thumbs Up

Post #385291 27th Jan 2020 2:38 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Back in the middle 70's I was driving out of Portsmouth north west of Hilsea roundabout with a 15 ton truck coming in the opposite direction, there was a bang and something shot across my bonnet, there was a graunching noise and the rear of the truck rose off the road, the truck bunny hopped to a halt with the forward end of the propshaft digging into the road. Rather fortunate for me as I was in a sports car with the top and windows down, another 6ft and it could have been my head that met with the object, probably a bolt. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #385297 27th Jan 2020 4:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1