Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BSR67

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black
Clutch failure!

Hi

My wife's FL2 has developed a clutch fault

At 77,000 it had a new clutch and slave cylinder (gearbox was changed so made sense to do it at the same time).

Its now two years later and the car has done just shy of 88,000 (12,000 miles in two years).

This time last year it also had a brand new master cylinder (genuine LR).

Now, the clutch pedal has lost all pressure, it won't engage gear and therefore drive.

I've had a look under the bonnet and the hydraulic pipe the runs over the top of the gearbox (towards the front of the car) runs into some form of banjo mounted on the front of the gearbox. It is wet with fluid, it's all down the front of the gearbox case and has collected in the bash plate under the 'box.

Looks like the banjo (or whatever it is) has failed. It's also 'loose' on the front of the box - it can be rotated in the housing slightly clockwise and anti-clockwise. Is that normal?

Is the banjo a serviceable part that can be changed?

It's the stop/start model. I've attached a photograph

Clearly, I'm fearing the slave cylinder is U.S. - and frankly am worried whether the garage actually fitted a new clutch (had massive issues with them at the time of purchase - they had to replace the gearbox due to a broken diff - they car had been in a light accident and was repaired - they missed the fact the drive train was faulty as a result of the accident it had sustained).

Thanks

Post #384230 10th Jan 2020 2:20 pm
OLOSTEVE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

What a catalogue of disasters, next time buy an Automatic.

Post #384314 11th Jan 2020 11:05 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Last January my 2007 clutch crapped out @ about 163,000 miles. The clutch pedal disappeared out of sight.
Had a local garage do a replacement.
They said the DMF had disintegrated and put too much stress on the clutch which took out the master or slave and Censored out all the clutch fluid.

Drives like new now.... very happy! 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #384521 14th Jan 2020 10:44 pm
BSR67

Interesting, thanks.

As explained, the car allegedly had a new clutch, DMF and slave only 12,000 miles ago. The gearbox had to be replaced under a 30 day warranty from the garage I bought the car from because it had been a Cat N with offside wing and front wheel damage. It turned out that the impact on the wheel had broken the diff in the gearbox and it was only driving one front wheel, which of course was then being rejected and it sent all the power to the back wheels with various nasty clanking noises.

It took the garage ages to find the problem. They swopped out the Haldex, rear diff, front drive shafts until it became clear the gearbox/diff was at fault. As an independent, they had to buy a replacement box and could only source one stop start 'box from a salvage yard. They fitted it, and then had to cure a drive shaft leak. That's when I paid them to replace the clutch/DMF/Slave because it made absolute sense to.

As of today, two years and 12,000 miles on, my mechanic cannot find and external leak anywhere. He bleed the system, came back into the workshop this morning, and there is no clutch pedal again. So, the gearbox has to come off, as he suspects the slave has failed.

The cynic in me wonders whether the garage off set their gearbox liability by pocketing the clutch payment, and leaving the old one in there. There will be legal action if that proves to be the case.

Post #384570 15th Jan 2020 7:26 pm
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi,

There is a pipe/valve assembly between the slave cylinder and the outside of the gearbox. I guess this is the one which have failed on yours. It has part no LR011836. Its probably seldom replaced during the clutch change, but for the cost of £20 it may be a smart thing to do. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LR011836

Post #385256 26th Jan 2020 9:36 pm
BSR67

Thanks

The car is now repaired. The slave and feed pipe from
Outside the gearbox into the slave was replaced.

System was still getting air into it ....

Hydraulic line from master to slave was replaced - there is a connector in it between bulkhead and engine bay that potentially lets air in rather than actually leaking.

Clutch fine now - £560 later.

Post #385334 28th Jan 2020 9:58 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1