« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Service 87k, timing belt, rear break discs and pads and MOT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

VVS210 wrote:
Can't remember the full detail of what was done but when I had the big 10 year service on our 07 XS it came to about £800 including cambelt & water pump plus a load of other stuff & MoT.

As others have said, it's false economy not to replace the water pump at the same time as the cam belt.

Slightly off topic, you have a 13MY car & talk about stop/start? We have a 13MY HSE & that doesn't have stop/start... Is it possible that it's been turned off on ours before we bought it?

No stop/start on our autos Thumbs Up

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #384349 13th Jan 2020 9:03 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I think the big story in this thread is that a well respected and often promoted (on this forum) service centre ,Team Valley, has let the OP down. I for one would not touch them with a barge pole. Evil or Very Mad MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #384352 13th Jan 2020 10:35 am
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Latest updates:

Team valley phoned me this morning asking if everything is OK etc. I said the car is OK but asked if the manager would give me a call. He called straightaway and I asked what is his opinion regarding replacement of the timing belt without the water pump, he said that is the LR recommendation, just replace the timing belt without the pump. i said I may talk to LR customer services regarding this issue as almost the freelander2 owners in this forum replace their timing belt with water pump at the same time. Why not do it when you're already there?
Anyway I asked hime to give me the quote for the water pump replacement and the rear drop link offside. He called back after looking at the details and said he would do £240 for the pump, I said I was quoted £200 before so eventually we agreed £230 for him to change the water pump, the drop link and swap the battery for me for free.

I said I have been using them since the freelander2 owners from this forum recommended but lately people started to have different opinions and that I would like him to repair the trust. To be fair the time belt and water pump now costs about £500 but the drop link is only £30 with free fitting for the battery. I have had courtesy car almost 3 days last week and a day when I bring the car for the water pump fitting this Friday.

So my auto service and MOT came about £1500 this year which I think is a lot of money, on the other hand it's a joy to drive on a long journey across Europe.

The Varta F21 battery delivered today I am charging it with the MX5 charger, reading the instructions they say to remove the plug for the gas vent to prevent explosion. I looked at the battery and can only see two top vents but there aren't any plug to remove. Phoning Tayna batteries and they said the F21 Varta is sealed so nothing to worry about. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you all your comments in this thread, I certainly appreciate all your contributions and hope the information this thread helps other members about the repair costs for similar circumstances.

Post #384416 13th Jan 2020 7:08 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Rather odd isn't it about LR's advice on the water pump which seems to be common practice to replace when you do a cambelt? Still they don't reckon to service the Haldex either do they?
I replaced the cambelt on my wife's Peugeot in 2015 and ordered the kit from the local Peugeot dealer, the guy in the spares dept mentioned it as standard practise (Oh and isn't the 2.2 diesel in the FL2 a Peugeot design?) .

What amazes me is that such a critical component as the cambelt has to drive the waterpump anyway but that's another story. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #384417 13th Jan 2020 7:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123