« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > North America > Rear Differential - LR2 - Toronto Canada
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
to-LR2

Canada 2010 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Lago Grey
Rear Differential - LR2 - Toronto Canada

Hello, I am new to the Land Rover community and have found a lot of useful information on this site.

My recently bought 2010 LR2 had the classic rear diff issue that seems to be well known and I had to explore options for getting it fixed. I live in Toronto, Canada and the various postings didn't really have a simple (economical) way to get it fixed.

Based on my reading, a TSB I came across seemed to be the issue I was experiencing:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2010/SB-10106024-9340.pdf
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11383/LTB00342.pdf

The quotes I was getting for the repairs were as follows: (CDN $)

Local Well Known Tranmission Shop (Chain) Quote: $1500 labour +685 parts + tax
Land Rover Dealership – approx. 4-5k +tax , new differential. They would not fix it and only provided this quote verbally. They wanted to 'diagnose' the problem and I wasn't willing to pay.
Local (Toronto) LR Independent- Quoted verbally after I described the issue -- around $2000+tax for rebuild.
Local Independent -- Art's Garage- 260 Midwest Road, Toronto -- see details below.

I went to my local repair shop where I've serviced my cars for many years and the owner suggested I get the parts in the TSB and then let him take a look. They took the rear diff apart and suggested replacement of a few of the other surrounding bearings (the TSB only had one in the list of parts). We were not able to get the other three bearings from JLR who said they only solution was to get a new diff. He sourced the other 3 bearings (TIMKIN) -- which is said makes good bearings -- and got everything fixed and running in one day.

With the parts I bought, the extra bearings he sourced, some Volvo AOC (for Haldex) fluid and JLR Rear Diff fluid, my total cost was $1200 CDN which was about 1/2 of the next closest quote. He says he can do this for $1200 for others now that he know which bearings are needed for the job.

I hope this is helpful for any LR2 owners who might come across this issue.

Now that everything is quiet again, I'm onto the list of maintenance items off of P_Gills list. Smile

Some pictures from the process:

Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited by to-LR2 on 1st Jan 2020 11:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #383593 1st Jan 2020 8:51 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Good local info! Timken makes a darn good bearing.

Post #383599 1st Jan 2020 11:54 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Good local info! Timken makes a darn good bearing.

Just as long as you buy genuine ones! Smile (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #383608 2nd Jan 2020 7:12 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

^^^Indeed. Thumbs Up

Post #383648 2nd Jan 2020 2:21 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Your 5th picture paints a picture of the woes experienced by many FL2 owners in failed diff bearings - MADE IN INDIA.

Cheapskate LR sourced inferior quality products to fit into a superior motor. Research would probably show that TATA's owner has a relatiive making bearings in India. Evil or Very Mad MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #383654 2nd Jan 2020 3:23 pm
to-LR2

Canada 2010 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Lago Grey

I think you are correct. They may have saved some money and used some inferior bearings. I just hope the new bearings last longer!

There was a different thread that showed a rebuild on the rear diff. It showed the load ratings for the TIMKIN bearings were higher.

Fingers crossed, I hope I never have to do it again because there's apparently a pretty long list of maintenance items I need to catch up on... Smile

Post #383672 2nd Jan 2020 7:59 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Rear Differential - LR2 - Toronto Canada

Very good of you to share. Thank you!

to-LR2 wrote:
Hello, I am new to the Land Rover community and have found a lot of useful information on this site.

My recently bought 2010 LR2 had the classic rear diff issue that seems to be well known and I had to explore options for getting it fixed. I live in Toronto, Canada and the various postings didn't really have a simple (economical) way to get it fixed.

Based on my reading, a TSB I came across seemed to be the issue I was experiencing:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2010/SB-10106024-9340.pdf
https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11383/LTB00342.pdf

The quotes I was getting for the repairs were as follows: (CDN $)

Local Well Known Tranmission Shop (Chain) Quote: $1500 labour +685 parts + tax
Land Rover Dealership – approx. 4-5k +tax , new differential. They would not fix it and only provided this quote verbally. They wanted to 'diagnose' the problem and I wasn't willing to pay.
Local (Toronto) LR Independent- Quoted verbally after I described the issue -- around $2000+tax for rebuild.
Local Independent -- Art's Garage- 260 Midwest Road, Toronto -- see details below.

I went to my local repair shop where I've serviced my cars for many years and the owner suggested I get the parts in the TSB and then let him take a look. They took the rear diff apart and suggested replacement of a few of the other surrounding bearings (the TSB only had one in the list of parts). We were not able to get the other three bearings from JLR who said they only solution was to get a new diff. He sourced the other 3 bearings (TIMKIN) -- which is said makes good bearings -- and got everything fixed and running in one day.

With the parts I bought, the extra bearings he sourced, some Volvo AOC (for Haldex) fluid and JLR Rear Diff fluid, my total cost was $1200 CDN which was about 1/2 of the next closest quote. He says he can do this for $1200 for others now that he know which bearings are needed for the job.

I hope this is helpful for any LR2 owners who might come across this issue.

Now that everything is quiet again, I'm onto the list of maintenance items off of P_Gills list. Smile!
 Guy Pensa
Cars with Personalities
Getting itchy. What's next?
2014 Land Rover HSE Lux (blend of practicality and aggressiveness)
2007 XKR (Jaguar Racing Green) (woo hoo!)
2004 XJR (Jaguar Racing Green) (deceased)
2002 S-Type R (British Racing Green, of course)
1951 Riley RMD (Black, time for that restoration)

Post #384231 10th Jan 2020 1:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1