Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > 2 new tyres on front or back
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

My two cents Canadian on this.........two diffs and the Haldex system, I definitely rotate front to back or visa versa (no choice with my winters, they are directional). I think it is most important to have the opposite side tire pressures the same for front and back. I run the fronts 4-5 pounds higher than the rears since the majority of the weight is in the front and ideally you want to keep the rolling circumference of each wheel as close to the same as possible. Then again, my logic may just be illogical. I find the 10-15% less tire pressure in the rear makes it easier to minimize understeer regardless.

As for changing tires, all four at the same time unless one is worn vs the rest which means you have another issue that needed to be address much earlier. Now if you are towing, that's a different thing all together.......

Post #383128 24th Dec 2019 2:11 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

If you have TPMS you will be surprised just how much pressure changes due to tyres heating up when driving.

The difference from a cold day to a hot day.

If carrying heavy loads the rear tyre pressure will increase a bit extra.

Interestingly if driving for longer periods with the sun on one side of the car those tyres will be 4 or 5psi higher pressure than the tyres on the shadow side. Should paint them white! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383129 24th Dec 2019 3:21 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Clearly there is quite a lot variation in advice from tyre manufacturers, JLR, and individual drivers.

I suppose when all said and done , the most sensible advice one can offer is:

Dont't buy cheapo tyres with poor ratings
Buy tyres suitable for your use and weather conditions
Drive within the tyre's capabilities ie dont expect mud-pluggers to corner at speed and stop in the wet as well as road bias tyres.
Check tyre pressures
Check for wear
Replace when damaged or below 3mm tread Jules

Post #383135 24th Dec 2019 10:55 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

My Pirelli Scorpion AT plus tyres are made in China! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383142 24th Dec 2019 12:39 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

To be pedantic; there's a big difference in "swapping" front to back where the tyres are therefore kept in the same direction
-to--"rotating" such that a front left would become a backfacing front right, etc.

Post #383145 24th Dec 2019 1:09 pm
rsash

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

I had an issue with swapping front to back when one front tyre was wedged, i.e. worn across the tyre width. On the back it caused a droning noise.

Post #383150 24th Dec 2019 3:16 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Paul4751 wrote:
To be pedantic; there's a big difference in "swapping" front to back where the tyres are therefore kept in the same direction
-to--"rotating" such that a front left would become a backfacing front right, etc.

Laughing - ok some tyres can be swapped or rotated. others (directional tyres) can only be swapped. And if you have a car with wider tyres on the back then you may be able to do neither. Jules

Post #383172 24th Dec 2019 7:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12