Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Can Hive work with a oil fired S plan heating system?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Can Hive work with a oil fired S plan heating system?

Any central heating experts on here ?

Ive fitted a hive system to my daughter's home gas fired CH/HW system - it was easy to fit and is really useful.

I now wonder if it is possible to add a "Hive-like" thermostat to our old oil-fired S plan CH system.

We have an Alpha cooker with twin pressure jet burners. One burner for the cooker, the other for an S plan CH/HW system. The whole lot is controlled via a programmable 3 channel Horstman 37XL controller. (One channel being ON/OFF for the cooker, one for HW and one for CH).
There is one Honeywell thermostat switching the CH.

Does anyone make a system that can replace my thermostat with a wifi thermostat/hub system that can be controlled via the internet ? Im not bothered about controlling the HW.

I would envisage leaving the Horstman controller in place (as it switches the cooker on & off) with the CH channel set to full on and over-ridden by a programmable wifi thermostat/hub.

I asked at the local Plumb Center and was told Hive systems and similar are designed only for gas combi boilers where the switching is done within the boiler via the thermostat hub and not actually within the thermostat like my system. The chap there didnt know whether an S plan system could be adapted as I suggested.

Any advice gratefully received. Jules

Post #382346 6th Dec 2019 11:32 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I don’t know the answer but have been looking at the same question! My system is an oil-fired Rayburn, so two separate pressure-jet burners, cooker and CH/HW, controlled by a two-channel programmer. HW is simply controlled by tank thermostat and motorised valve and dependant on CH settings on programmer. CH is only controlled by timer and return feed temperature, with thermostatic rad valves throughout the house, so no over-riding thermostat. There is a separate motorised valve to isolate the radiators to provide for HW-only, in summer.

Looking at all the options, I reckoned that it might be possible to simply add a Hive thermostatic switch to the heatng system or even just wire in a Hive plug to the 5amp-fused feed to the whole stove. But at the back of my mind is a notion to do the whole thing on a DIY basis with a Raspberry Pi based approach... 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #382349 7th Dec 2019 6:00 am
Denboy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi yes it can be done use a salus it500 unit much cheaper than a hive has a seperate thermostat an its plug a play internet no opening ports so simple to install

Post #382350 7th Dec 2019 6:52 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I have had an oil fired Rayburn 480K dual pressure jet for nearly 18 years and apart from changing from GMT to BST twice a year I have never touched the programming since I set it up in 2002. What exactly is the problem we are trying to solve?

Oh and I don't need something to tell me that it's fired up, I can hear it in the kitchen. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #382363 7th Dec 2019 9:39 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Not necessarily sorting a problem, so much as adding a belt to the braces! My 480k is about a year older than yours and has the Nuway burner. It has occasional issues with going to lock-out rather than firing up properly and if this was to happen during a cold spell and I was away from home for a week or so, I would want to a) know about it and b) be able to do something about it - like remotely switching the cooker to come on to warm the kitchen and the pipe runs above it. An added bonus would be to leave an electric heater switched on, but controlled by a Hive-type plug, so that if all else failed I could warm the kitchen remotely. I appreciate that all this might seem like paranoia when viewed from balmy Dorset! Smile

During the “beast from the east”. My brother was out of the country when the condensate drain for his gas boiler froze up and the boiler went to lock-out. He knew about it because his remote app showed that the house temperature had dropped. I was able to go round and thaw the outlet and reset the boiler. But we also left an electric heater on the remotely operated plug just in case of a recurrence. What would have been even better would have been for the boiler itself to be on a Hive plug, then he could have rebooted it himself remotely by powering it down then back up again.

Oh, and I’m on my third programmer for the Rayburn and having updated from the Honeywell ST6400C to the ST9400C, it now automatically does the hour change! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #382376 7th Dec 2019 4:21 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I have had an oil fired Rayburn 480K dual pressure jet for nearly 18 years and apart from changing from GMT to BST twice a year I have never touched the programming since I set it up in 2002. What exactly is the problem we are trying to solve?

Oh and I don't need something to tell me that it's fired up, I can hear it in the kitchen.

Our Alpha has run without a problem for 24 years. But I want to be able to control the CH via the internet when we are not there and monitor the house temperature.

We have a holiday let in North Yorkshire. I was able to detect a problem with the CH boiler via the HIVE system simply because the house temperature didnt response to changing the CH settings. We are away a lot now were retired and I want to keep an eye on the house when we're away. Jules

Post #382386 7th Dec 2019 7:18 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I would second the Salus IT 500 system and about £100, they also have other models that can control zone CH systems. The sensor is battery powered and can be placed in any room thus allowing the chosen room to achieve your desired temperature, it also has the option to be powered from a permanent source via 3v power supply. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #382396 8th Dec 2019 7:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1