« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Insulation engine cover - replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

John,

For some reason the 'quote' option never seems to be available for the last post but my responses are:

10mm sounds like a lot but the cover fitted the engine perfectly without any obvious pressure required. I’ll be taking it off at the end of next week after a trip away in order to fit the pieces to the side channels and that should give me an indication of whether it’s too tight but I don’t think it is.

My old piece of foam was sufficiently intact to use it to mark out a template on a piece of cardboard and I then used that to mark the insulation for cutting. One side of the insulation has paper backing which you remove to expose the sticky surface so it’s quite easy to draw the shape and mark where the holes go. It’s quite easy to cut with a pair of scissors or a Stanley knife or similar.

I’ve not yet driven the car with it fitted but will be doing three or four hundred miles next week so will have a better idea then.

My 2008 FL2 had the second type of insulation.

Post #380708 2nd Nov 2019 5:54 pm
john capri

Italy 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Biscay Blue

Thanks for the clarifications.
I will wait for your further observations on the return of your journey

I think your next experience will certainly be useful at all like that of Grue who has made something similar to yours.

Post #380711 2nd Nov 2019 7:12 pm
john capri

Thanks for the clarifications.
I will wait for your further observations on the return of your journey

I think your experience will certainly be useful at all like that of Grue who has made something similar to yours.

Post #380713 2nd Nov 2019 7:18 pm
john capri

Simon J wrote:
John,

For some reason the 'quote' option never seems to be available for the last post but my responses are:

10mm sounds like a lot but the cover fitted the engine perfectly without any obvious pressure required. I’ll be taking it off at the end of next week after a trip away in order to fit the pieces to the side channels and that should give me an indication of whether it’s too tight but I don’t think it is.

My old piece of foam was sufficiently intact to use it to mark out a template on a piece of cardboard and I then used that to mark the insulation for cutting. One side of the insulation has paper backing which you remove to expose the sticky surface so it’s quite easy to draw the shape and mark where the holes go. It’s quite easy to cut with a pair of scissors or a Stanley knife or similar.

I’ve not yet driven the car with it fitted but will be doing three or four hundred miles next week so will have a better idea then.

My 2008 FL2 had the second type of insulation.

Hi Simon J
Did you have the opportunity to check the insulation conditions after the trip? Do you let us know how it went? Very Happy

Post #380966 9th Nov 2019 1:42 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Well, it definitely seems to be quieter. Certainly the typical diesel clatter on cold start up this morning was much subdued. So I think this type of sound deadening insulation seems to be a good substitute for the original foam which is probably starting to disintegrate, at least on the older vehicles. I haven’t removed the cover yet to see if there’s any evidence of it being compressed or damaged in any way but it does seem to do the trick.

Post #380967 9th Nov 2019 1:47 pm
john capri

I think that in the near future I will carry out the restoration of the acoustic insulation,
In the meantime I will try some well-stocked shops to buy the necessary material Thumbs Up .

However, in the next future, if you have any further reports about it to highlight, let us know.

Post #380972 9th Nov 2019 2:12 pm
john capri

Hello everyone and happy Saturday

Finally I reconstructed the acoustic protection of the engine cover. I bought a soundproofing material from Car Insulation UK. The thickness used is 10 mm. Very Happy

Features:
Product Dimensions:
Size: 6 Large Sheets (50 x 30cm)
Nominal Thickness: 9-10mm
Typical Temperature Stability:
-20 ° C to + 180 ° C (to foil face)

This morning I prepared everything and I started cutting the sheets. Of the 6 sheets available I used only 2.

Equipment used:
Cutter,
Scissors.
Indelible marker
tissue paper
Plastic Ruler
insulation roller
aluminum laminated glasscloth (used to close gaps between the 2 sheets and to finish).

The time taken to complete everything: 2 hours.

Result obtained: more muffled and less annoying noise..
The test I could do it only with a cold engine, then in the next few days I will check it with a warm engine.

I attach the photos

Happy weekend to everyone

Post #382017 30th Nov 2019 1:35 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Thumbs Up

The first nudge onto the slippery slope of soundproofing, following Stuartc and Lightwater's decent into the depths of silence.

Post #382067 1st Dec 2019 7:36 pm
Bumpf

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Indus Silver
Engine cover foam - different for 2013 - models

I previously used Dynaliner 6mm foam (from Dybamate) to insulate the underside of the engine cover of a 2010 Freelander 2. As with previous photos on this thread, I just covered the entire underside of the cover with foam. I agree it reduced the engine sound at cruise speed. I also used the same material in circles under the bonnet (between metal and normal insulation card) but I'm not convinced I gained much attenuation.

However, I recently bought a low KM 2013 TD4 SE and found that there has been a change under the engine cover in that there is now a rubber cover over the rear of the engine and the foam is restricted to the front. See photos. One photo shows engine with foam in place. Other photo shows foam lying on engine cover underside

The foam was disintegrating so I replaced it again using Dynaliner 6mm. I used the same shape and dimensions as the original foam.

Post #426291 28th Oct 2022 8:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12