Home > United Kingdom > Freelander 2 TD4 non start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mrpurple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Freelander 2 TD4 non start

Hi,

New to the forum but have a problem with a friends freeloader 2 TD4 2007 and hopefully someone may be able to help me.

It was running fine and got parked up in his field and switched off, coming back to the car 10 minutes later and it refuses to start. He then got me to go have a look at it as I am a mechanic, my base is anything VAG group though so i'm a bit out of kilter with a freelander. It cranks fine, I can look in live data and see crank speed, rail pressure seems good when cranking at 35mPa, MAF signal seems fine on live data, almost as though there is no signal to the injectors (sadly my live data will not display injector timings). Checked egr is not wide open by blanking off the intake on the throttle intake, throttle flap is wide open as it should be. Only fault code flagging up is a turbo control pressure fault which I would not expect to cause any problems with starting.

We have tried a battery reset by disconnecting and reconnecting, tried locking and unlocking several time to see if that solves anything to no avail. The only thing that I can find little information on is the immobiliser/alarm status led in the bottom left of the dash, the fault is almost as though the immo is preventing starting, I know with VWs they will always throw a code but some other marques I know don't. The led flashes once every second, this does not change when the key is inserted and I wonder if this could possibly be a cause?

Is there anyway to resync with an ekc as can be done with the older generation lr or is that not possible with the newer stuff.

Any advice suggestions gratefully welcomed as we would like to get it running and out of the middle of his field.

Thanks
Bob

Post #381026 10th Nov 2019 11:53 am
alex_pescaru

The immo led will be on for 1 second after the ignition on stage and then extinguishes.
But don't worry about it, if it is immo problem, the engine will not crank at all or it will crank and fire and then shutdown after 2-3 seconds, but it will fire.
So it seem it's an engine system problem.
Try to replace the crankshaft sensor. Not always stores and error.

Post #381033 10th Nov 2019 2:24 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Non starter.

Hi Bob is there a burning smell ,we had this a few years ago with my 2007 .it turned out to be one of the plastic flaps had dropped into the chamber.bent valves hope I,m wrong .
Bob

Post #381046 10th Nov 2019 7:29 pm
mrpurple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

No, no burning smell, cranks over fine, no apparent loss of compression, i'd expect it to run on 3 anyway and hear a hiccup when cranking if there was a loss of compression on one cylinder. Can see crank signal of around 300rpm (that's a fairly average cranking speed) in live data when cranking so presuming crank sensor is all good. If timing was out i'd expect to see a timing correlation fault code (or at least a cam sensor out of range or similar code).

Post #381052 10th Nov 2019 9:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1