Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Home CCTV system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have, a Netgear Arlo Pro system, the recordings are in 720p HD (they now do 1080p & 4K Versions) and the quality is enough to see whats going on

They are not cheap, but they are better quality than cheap system, they monitor for movement and/or sound and have night vision built in.

The base unit can take up to 5 cameras on the free version and i think 10 or 20 on the paid subscription, the free side of things can save images for 7 days, and these can be downloaded to your laptop/smart phone via the app

The camera are wireless battery operated and last a month or more between charge (more movement, more power used), but I have a additional battery and charger to keep a battery charged and swap over in a couple of minutes

So fair they have picked up
Man Pee in garden
4 balaclava clad scroats coming to steal my Audi
Man Censored in doorway
Me Catching the man Censored in doorway
Late Night Visitors checking the property Security
People checking the cars on driveway out in early Hours
A Sneak Thief Attempt (last week)

To name a few, all these have been seen on the phone, via a notification and this allows you to get up, switch lights on and call the police, whilst they run off (pull trousers up) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #380157 23rd Oct 2019 3:15 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

sorry about that pinky but when you gotta go you gotta go. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #380158 23rd Oct 2019 4:20 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

blueboy wrote:
I read some reviews on Swann systems as I had heard they were pretty good & they were mixed, some said rubbish dont bother but some said they were very good some said buy Hikvision as much better, dont know what to believe mate.

As I have mine has never failed it also has pir built in, when I view on the monitor its very clear and sharp recording

Post #380165 23rd Oct 2019 5:37 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

blueboy wrote:
Is it best to have movement cameras or constant recording ??? I really dont know hence the post. seems to be different types for low light, dark & day but something is needed to cover all applications.

Motion sensor recording will use less HDD space and allow you to record for a much longer period of time..........

Post #380173 23rd Oct 2019 8:19 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:

So fair they have picked up
Man Pee in garden
4 balaclava clad scroats coming to steal my Audi
Man Censored in doorway
Me Catching the man Censored in doorway
Late Night Visitors checking the property Security
People checking the cars on driveway out in early Hours
A Sneak Thief Attempt (last week)

To name a few, all these have been seen on the phone, via a notification and this allows you to get up, switch lights on and call the police, whilst they run off (pull trousers up)

Have you thought of moving? Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #380200 24th Oct 2019 10:29 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I have hikvision turrets with a hikvision nvr and a WD purple drive, works very well, simple to install and no ongoing costs. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #380202 24th Oct 2019 10:56 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I have a Swann CCTV system, with recorder and 4 cameras. (now on 2nd Swann system covering about 15 years)
It is excellent, reliable, and with 1 TB storage I just leave it recording anything that moves all the time.

Coverage is front door, plus front, rear, and side of house taking in as much of the garden as possible.

I do not allow it internet connection, call me old fashioned, but it is about security after all.

Very rarely look at past recordings unless I suspect something unusual or unexplained has happened locally.

It is not a substitute for a proper alarm system. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #380203 24th Oct 2019 10:59 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

I have also installed some very high power LED security lights, I cant remember the brand but got them from Screwfix. They have very good movement detection.
When they come on my Swann cameras adapt in a split second to the change from IR light to blinding floodlights, so they capture any activation as clear as it were daylight. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #380208 24th Oct 2019 12:45 pm
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

A bit unsure about the floodlights as I do live in a modernish semi & I am not sure the people around me would like floods clicking on & off during the night, the guy next door is a postman & is in bed at 8 to be up for 4. I suppose if I point them well down maybe not a problem for him.

Post #380222 24th Oct 2019 5:33 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Im looking advice on an alarm / cctv set up as well.
In the process of having a new bungalow and workshop built.
Its in an isolated rural location with only 1 other property down a lane maybe 1/4 mile long. Naturally I want security and peace of mind.
Just in the blockwork stage at the minute so any hard wiring can be done by the electrician as he does his thing.
Front / rear / side cameras of the house would be ideal as would the workshop covering front and side doors.
Im ondering would it be best to have a system that covers both, or a seperate one for the workshop which is about 25 meters from the house?

Any suggestions greatly received. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #380987 9th Nov 2019 7:00 pm
GAZ9053

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I have Hikvision cameras, these are 4mp no light source except built in infra red.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #380992 9th Nov 2019 8:19 pm
GAZ9053

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Bobupndown wrote:
Its in an isolated rural location with only 1 other property down a lane maybe 1/4 mile long. Naturally I want security and peace of mind.
Just in the blockwork stage at the minute so any hard wiring can be done by the electrician as he does his thing.
Front / rear / side cameras of the house would be ideal as would the workshop covering front and side doors.
Im ondering would it be best to have a system that covers both, or a seperate one for the workshop which is about 25 meters from the house?

Any suggestions greatly received.

personally I would cable for more cameras than i need at this stage ( cat 6/cat 5e ) cable is cheap to install, at 25 meters away you are well within cable length to have all cameras on same NVR.

Post #380993 9th Nov 2019 8:24 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Bobupndown wrote:

Any suggestions greatly received.

Just as an add on have an extra fused spur fitted out of sight in the workshop , and have a Master Blaster 240 v siren linked to the alarm panel . Mount the Master Blaster inside the workshop in the eves . You can have all the cameras you want and a £2 balaclava negates them , but if any one gets into the workshop and the Master Blaster goes off they won’t hang around for more than a second or two without brain damage ! . We have the lot , CCTV , alarms , but the best £100 I’ve ever spent on security is that siren , occasionally I’ll trip it accidentally it’s awesome . Rolling with laughter

https://www.cts-direct.net/klaxon-master-b...gIkj_D_BwE 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Last edited by MartynB on 10th Nov 2019 3:38 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #380998 9th Nov 2019 9:09 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

If you are asking what cables to put into your house, then it is hard to see what type of physical media (cables etc) will be used in the future. However physical connections are more reliable, (and importantly) secure, than wireless connections.

I would suggest that you, think about the layout of your house, and run 3 inch drain pipes across/underneath. You will need to include access points in system to allow you to thread cables relevant any electrical/electronic/alarm/camera/wifi systems now or in the future.
Obviously you need to think about providing electric power near these outlets, but it is best not to include mains with signal cables. (Interference)
Also worth thinking about burying pipes (and/or armoured cables) across garden from house to cover alarm/cameras/power to outbuildings, etc.

Automatic LED mini floodlights dotted around garden I think are a great deterrent.

I ran audio, telephone, and alarm wires around the house, years ago, when I had an extension. I now wish that I had run them in pipes so they could be updated. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #381007 9th Nov 2019 11:04 pm
RedMike

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Or if you are looking for a basic free option, use your old mobile phones as cameras and download an app called Alfred to the phones and also your current phone which is used as the viewer. Its got motion detection & notifications all for free. Just make sure that you wipe everything off the old phones and create a google account just for this purpose. LR Freelander 2 2014 metropolis SD4 auto in Loire Blue.
LR Freelander 2 2011 facelift HSE SD4 auto in Firenze Red + Premium pack & cold weather pack (affectionately known as Eve) Sadly written off in an RTA Insurance write off December 2022😢.
Vauxhall Astra 67 plate
Subaru Impreza 2008 (Sold 2016)
Vauxhall Adam 1.4 Glam 2015 (sold 2017) (affectionately known as Adam)

Post #383945 6th Jan 2020 12:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>