« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > New 'Old' Clutch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
KevinB2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
New 'Old' Clutch

I am looking for some advice on an issue I am having.

I recent asked my mechanic to install a new clutch, and to replace the Turbocharger. The charger was replaced ... I know this because the old one had stopped completely ... So I know that he either changed it .... or repaired it .... I'm not worried aboutthat.

The reason I requested achange in Clutch was eacause it held ALL the traditional symptoms of a clutch which is on the verge on being worn out.
1. High biting point
2. Crunchy gear changes
3. Sometimes slipping Clutch ... When revs are high staarting uphill.

He tells me he has changed the clutch .... but .... none of the symptoms have changed, except for now
4. Increased fuel comsuption.

I asked him about the high biting point ... He told me that the clutch system 'finds it's own bitying point'
I asked him about the crunching gears,.. He tolsd me that gear selector cable might bestretched !!
Hev told me on both occasions that a clutch might only last 6 month if not treated correctly ..... I do, I have been driving for thirty years, I am careful of gear changes, aware of the synchromesh etc, and I pride myself on changing smoothly. I am not a mechanic, but I have a good understandingof mechanics.

I haven't mentioned the slipping, or the fuel consumption ...

Anyway ... my question is ...
1. is there such a thing as a gearstick cable ??? I cannot see how a cable could do a gear change?
2. I know the clutch is hydraulic, but .... can it 'choose' it's own biting point ... or, does the biting point happen earlier in the travel of the clutch pedal on a new clutch??

Am I correct in my suspicions, in the forum's OPINION.

Basically, I am not in a position to believe that he changed the clutch at all !! Would the forum reply with an opinion, andpossibly advise me how to progress this .... Is there any way I can see the 'new' clutch' to verify it's birthday ?? I suspect that the original clutch is still in there....

If so (Clutch not changed ) ... Anybody got any advice on how to deal with the machanic ??

Post #380425 28th Oct 2019 7:07 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

It's a bit late now but on jobs like this I always ask if I can have the old components with an excuse like "as I am interested to see how they have worn" . However did you also ask for the pressure plate to be replaced too? Also in the case of the FL2 there is the DMF and whilst you are in there the slave cylinder. So what did you ask for and what were you billed for? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #380426 28th Oct 2019 7:17 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: New 'Old' Clutch

KevinB2 wrote:

Anyway ... my question is ...
1. is there such a thing as a gearstick cable ??? I cannot see how a cable could do a gear change?

On a transverse mounted engine the gearbox is nowhere near the gear lever. So a cable system is the usual method of connecting the gearlever to an actuating mechanism on top of the gearbox. Old cars like minis (proper ones not the German copy) had rod linkages.
Depending on the vehicle the cable/s needs setting up to give accurate gear changes. But Ive only ever needed to do it on a Octavia VRS that I was modding at the time. Would need to research about the FL2

2. I know the clutch is hydraulic, but .... can it 'choose' it's own biting point ... or, does the biting point happen earlier in the travel of the clutch pedal on a new clutch??

On a hydraulic system the resting position of the pedal wont change but a high bite point might occur if something is wrong with clutch itself. Has the bite point changed since the the "clutch replacement" ?
 Jules

Post #380443 28th Oct 2019 9:05 pm
jules

The clutch should have been perfect after the work was done. If the clutch was still slipping afterwards then he hasnt done it or done it incorrectly.
Assuming you've only done a few miles since picking it up then take it back. Demand to see the clutch - it should look pretty new with little dust on it.

Worn DMF usually causes horrible rattles at idle and clonks during gear changes. Often wear out about 60-70K miles in my experience of VAG cars. Jules

Post #380446 28th Oct 2019 9:13 pm
KevinB2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the input guys ...

Car has done 106.6 k miles. Was changed at approx 105k.

Don"t drive much these days ...

The cabling might be the issue then !! But certainly something wrong.

One other question tho'. I forgot to ask ... I got clutch and turbo done at the same time .... How long should that take ?? I think it all happened too quickly ... Less than a day !! About 5 hours. That's also suspicious ??

Post #380462 28th Oct 2019 11:01 pm
jules

The cabling would only cause an issue with gear selection not clutch slipping or odd clutch bite.

Not sure how long a skilled mechanic with help and all the tools would take to do the jobs (other peeps on this forum will know Im sure ) but it would take me days ! Steve D could tell you for sure - PM him Jules

Post #380463 28th Oct 2019 11:11 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I doubt VERY much that both those jobs could be done in 5 hours. If the clutch was changed as he says, then after 1,600 miles it should be repaired under warranty. As already asked, what exactly were you billed for? Did you get a receipt detailing the work carried out? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #380465 28th Oct 2019 11:14 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

get another mechanic to look at the gear box and related bolts to see if its been out.

Post #380467 28th Oct 2019 11:44 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

It's a 6hr job to do the clutch alone. I suspect its not been replaced... Neutral

Post #380474 29th Oct 2019 7:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I would ask him where he bought the clutch.
ask him what make of clutch he fitted

The problem nowdays is that many clutches are remanufactured, also their are some companies out their that have bought boxing rights and put any parts in a well known branded box !
There are also many Chinesse recon clucthes now supplied to the UK very cheaply and some are in branded boxes.

A genuine clutch will have the letterss of the company embedded in the rivits on the clutch centre plate and the clucth cover should have the manufactures name embedded on the cover.
Many kits out their have these details ground out and they missmatch Covers with plates ( whatever is cheapest ) the problem with that is each manufacture make their linnings a different thickness and a cover to match.

I would of scourced a kit from landrover only.
If your clutch is slipping take it back! unlikley to of fitted it and fixed the turbo in 5 hrs. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #380482 29th Oct 2019 11:44 am
riverblanche

England 

Hi,
how long ago did you get the job done Question

you mention about 1500 miles but dont drive much, and as said does not sound good for both jobs been done
what is on the receipt
a ball park for a clutch replacement inc dmf must be around £1k

if they have billed you for it and no change I would be going back to them for a couple of "not happy please correct it"
recording all contact details and what is said in case you need the details for future action Confused .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #380510 29th Oct 2019 9:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1