« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > A spooky experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
A spooky experience

Interesting one today. I'm somewhat sceptical about paranormal activity but there's some interesting scientific suggestions about people's energy being retained in buildings for years. Anyway...

Me and SWMBO walked through headstone tunnel on monsal trail and nobody else was there. We stopped because I heard faint voices and singing.

We could then hear Rudolph the red nosed reindeer being sung. Clearly being sung by men and real hearty singing like you see on tv shows based on old times.

My initial thoughts were that even if the tunnel is supposedly haunted etc, the song is not old enough. However, I checked online and the song was released in 1949 and the railway didn't close until 1968.

Further research throws up some suggestions of paranormal activity in the tunnel. Interesting nonetheless. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #378670 22nd Sep 2019 9:48 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Very interesting, firm believer in this Thumbs Up

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #378674 23rd Sep 2019 6:10 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

those tunnels are quite spooky at the best of times, particularly when its getting to dusk.

Post #378683 23rd Sep 2019 9:19 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I had a similar experience in a place that was supposedly haunted and known for strange human like sounds and bit like someone in torment huffing and puffing and grunting and groaning but as I progressed through the place I discovered the source of the sounds - there was a semi hidden alcove and in it was a young couple up to something that definately wasn't paranormal activity!

J

Post #378695 23rd Sep 2019 10:22 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Also a firm believer.

Many years ago went to Clearwell caves near Tintern when the Foot and mouth Outbreak had occurred ( 2001 ) I think.
Its relevant because when we arrived we were the only family in the cave network. About 20 mins in I felt and saw a presence walk past me and my Daughter. My daughter asked me who it was as they had brushed past her without apologizing ( Bless ) all I remember was seeing the outline of a Mack and Hat.

When we returned to the entrance we were asked if we had seen the resident ghost ! and they went on to explain that in the 60s a film crew were filming in the caves and their cables were not long enough and a figure appeared and pointed to route the cables through another way, a route that even the cavers were not aware of and problem sorted. Whether its true who knows but it was certainly spooky. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #378696 23rd Sep 2019 10:33 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Many years ago, not long after my Grandma (Fathers mother) died my Aunt went to see a clairvoyant.

This person relayed a message from my Gran to my Aunt that astounded us. It was an apology for some damage she had caused to the kitchen whilst staying over to baby sit. There is no way this person could have had prior knowledge of this minor incident and where and how it happened. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #378703 23rd Sep 2019 12:52 pm
Northcroft

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

I recall as a lad being in a cemetery with my aunt, we both saw a young boy sitting at a distant grave, he was dressed like something out of Dickens days, we carried on walking and chatting and as we got closer to that grave to look at him again, he was gone, the layout of the cemetery was such that the paths were all straight and we could not see anyone anywhere heading for an exit, its like he just disappeared. We for years thought we had maybe seen a ghost

Another family story was about my grandad who worked as an engineer on a ship 1900 - 1930 ish, he was allocated a job on a new vessel and in the engine room he became increasingly annoyed at seeing a man sitting doing nothing each day, after a few days of this he managed to have a word with the captain, he described the man to the captain who then produced a photo and said is this the man, my grandad said yes that's the lazy Censored . . . . captain said he jumped overboard and drowned the month before. . . 2017 SEAT Ateca 4drive 2.0 xcellence (May 2022 -
2007 HSE with HST bodykit in Zermatt Silver 169,700 miles (dec 2016 - May 2022 )
2007 Honda Civic Type S GT (2012-2017)
2002 Mini Cooper S (2008-2012)
1992 Honda Legend 3.2i (2003-2008)
1990 Honda Concerto (1999-2003)
1985 Honda Accord (1997-1999)
1983 Honda Accord (1993-1997)
1983 Mini Mayfair (1988-1993)
1974 Mini 1000 (1979-1986)

Post #378709 23rd Sep 2019 3:06 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I worked alone as a security guard for a couple of months back in early 1999. I was guarding an MOD disposal site at a former WW2 airfield. It was scary enough at the best of times, but some nights there were blood curdling screams and noises that put the fear of god in you - that turned out to be a local pig farm where they were slaughtering the animals..........
Anyway, one night as I was on patrol, I saw what looked like 2 torches in the distance as if 2 people were on site looking to rob the place (mostly Land Rovers outside in a stockade).The lights looked to very close together which seemed odd. If they were torches , I would have expected them to be moving in different directions while the potential thieves were looking for something to steal. So I drove my patrol vehicle towards the lights for a good few hundred yards, but they seemed to remain the same distance away from me. The site itself was split into two parts, the old airfield, hangars and stockade and on the other side, the rest of the airfield was being turned in to industrial warehouses and was a massive building site and as I had chased the lights close to this site before they disappeared,I decided to let this sites security guards know there were potential thieves around as they had JCB's and other expensive equipment where they were. While I was explaining what I had just seen,one of the other guards pointed out that the lights were back over in my area. This couldn't be right, anyone who was on foot couldn't have covered the distance so quickly. So I drove back towards the lights. As I got closer, they seemed to be lifting off the ground until I estimated they were around 50 yards away, but now seemed to be about 20 - 30 ft off the ground. I was getting really scared by now,so I stopped the vehicle and the lights disappeared.That was it, the rest of the night was uneventful.
The next evening, just before starting work, I spoke to one of the mechanics on site.
"Oh, you've been lucky enough to see the ghost plane" he said.He then told me that several colleagues had also seen strange lights when it got dark early in winter. I thought he was pulling my leg until he called another colleague over, who couldn't have heard our conversation. "Tell the security guard about the ghost plane" he said. The other guy said the story went that during the war, a Wellington bomber crashed on the airfield at night killing all aboard. Ever since, there had been reports by RAF personnel and civilians of landing lights over the airfield right up to modern times despite the airfield not being used for decades
for aircraft.
Shocked

Post #378710 23rd Sep 2019 3:31 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

several years ago I was having a meal out, the restaurant was fairly quiet that evening
and half way through the meal my chair gave a very sharp lurch, as if someone had barged into it,
on looking over my shoulder and found no one near me, now the chair was a very heavy wooden one and the floor was sound, being fairly new.
I asked my wife if she had seen anyone behind me, she hadn't,
so on paying my bill I asked if the pub had any ghosts......their answer was
a young lad used to be seen running from the stables to the pub, (he died in the stables) but since they had built
the new restaurant across the yard he hadn't be seen since!! Neutral
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #378721 23rd Sep 2019 5:01 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

In the mid 80's I lived in small terraced house in the village of Saltaire, just outside Bradford. The terrace was an old mill workers house, and was about 100 years old.

When new the house had been built with an outside privy which had long since been converted into a garden shed. The house had been restructed upstairs to include toilet and bathroom at some time. This work meant that the bedroom walls had been moved.

Often during the night, I would be woken up by the sound of a human voice sighing loudly next to the bed, and I would see a flickering candle flame move across the room and pass thorugh the bedroom wall where the orginal door way had been.

It was spooky, but strangly, it never scared me. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #378745 24th Sep 2019 7:08 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The following is an article I wrote for a local rag:

Your article (IN & AROUND NN3 April/May 2014) and the previous one about the old Northampton Gaol built in the early 1800's prompted me to put finger to keyboard about the strange goings on there. I used to work in the old gaol block, as it was known in those days.

My office was the old Gaol Governors’ office on the first floor which looks out onto Angel Street and it was reputed that condemned prisoners would be taken there to see the governor on the day of their execution. The prisoner would be manacled hand and foot and as could be expected, in a distressed state and although being restrained by wardens may possibly be struggling. This, on the wooden floor would make a lot of noise, however, in all the years I worked in that office I never heard anything like that – but others had! My service was a 24/7 service so often I would be working late long after others had gone home. Directly below this office was the coffee lounge of the staff restaurant and the County Hall music club used to meet there once a month after work and I could hear the music (all classic thankfully, not modern pop mucus). On one occasion the music stopped abruptly (it was a fairly loud piece (Sibelius’s Finlandia) and after a minute or two several people from the club came into my office saying that they had heard loud banging noises and a general commotion coming from my office which was so loud that they could not continue with the music. They told me that this happened quite often, although not every month. However, all I could hear, apart from the music was the only noise coming from the office and that was my pen writing on paper! They were sensible people, not at all people you would think would imagine ghostly sounds, indeed one of them the head caretaker was a very practical and down to earth chap. With that investigation over and nothing found they went back to the club and continued with no further disturbances that evening.

On another occasion I was working late, this time it was winter and it was dark and again I was alone in the office. I heard some footsteps coming along the corridor – my office was at the end of the corridor – and I thought it would be the caretaker coming to see why the office lights were still on. The footsteps got nearer and they stopped just outside the door but nobody came in and as I was concentrating on the work, thought that the caretaker must have realised it was me and went away without disturbing me. Later, I had almost finished the work, and I heard the footsteps again and as they got to just outside the door I went to the door and opened it – but there was nobody there! There was nowhere anyone who was outside of the door could have gone or hidden! I swear I heard footsteps coming and stopping by the door. It did not take me long to lock up and get home that night!

At the other end of the corridor was a small office that was reputed to be the Head Wardens’ office. Apparently he would wear a top hat and frock coat as his uniform. A number of people, some visitors to the building, have reported seeing him standing there outside of his office and when the turned to take another look he had vanished. I never saw him but independent descriptions of the sighting were very similar.

On the floor below was the old Gaol sick room and mortuary. At one time the mortuary, complete with slab, was used by the Archaeology Department and several people refused to work in this room citing strange “things going on”. Sometimes I would take visitors who had never been to the building before through this part of the building and along part of the way condemned prisoners would be taken to the gallows. I would not mention the history of that part of the building but occasionally a visitor would mention strange feelings, or vibes, or feeling a “presence” when in that area. There were lots of tales about “sightings” and “presences”, some of course were probably just imagination but others were quite independent and remarkably similar with many from people, cleaners etc. working outside of normal office hours.

It is an interesting old building full of all sorts of interesting things and stories – but I am convinced that many of stories are very much more than that and are based on honest beliefs and actual “experiences”.

J

Post #378820 25th Sep 2019 1:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1