« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > FWD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey
FWD

Was reading the Bell engineering site as I have a slight noise from the rear of my vehicle. I am considering as a start the oil and fliter change in the Haldex, version 3, also believe the pump has a filter also. As an aside one bit of the Bell site states "if the car is suffereing from front wheel drive only....."
How does one know that it is only driving the front wheels?

Post #377959 7th Sep 2019 5:45 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Easy
pull up to junction, left or right lock and boot it - really boot it.

Normally the FL2 sets off in 4WD then unlocks the Haldex and stays in 2WD until needed.
With only 2WD and 180BHP on tap one of the front wheels will spin if provoked ie when setting off and turning a corner all the power wants to go to one of the front wheels rather than both rears and one front. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #378052 9th Sep 2019 12:56 pm
DarrenW

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I was told by Bell that if you put the vehicle in 1st gear when parked with the engine off you shouldn’t be able to turn the prop shaft (autos in drive) if you can then the transfer box spline has stripped. That’s exactly what my old on had. Any wet day with a heavy foot it wheel spun. MY06 FL1 TD4 2 door red (gone)
MY07 FL2 SE TD4 black (gone)
MY13 FL2 GS TD4 Santorini black

Post #378081 9th Sep 2019 10:29 pm
Bogart

Will give that a go when it stops raining.

Post #378198 11th Sep 2019 12:25 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

if its raining then that might be the best time to try out the wheel spin test in a safe area.

as has been said ....1st gear, wheels turned, floor it... if you get wheel spin then chances are your in FWD only and either your haldex isnt working at all or the splines are stripped off the PTU to the gearbox.

if its is the splines then best to get it sorted asap as it can also result in you needing a new gearbox as well as PTU.

Post #378200 11th Sep 2019 12:35 pm
Bogart

All this mention of 1st gear, it's an auto.

Post #378269 13th Sep 2019 12:32 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Use then manual setting to lock it into 1st gear. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #378270 13th Sep 2019 12:46 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Interesting, I was under the impression that the wheels would spin then haldex would kick in?

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #378272 13th Sep 2019 1:06 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

It can kick in all it likes - if the front transfer box has failed the propshaft receives no power. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #378276 13th Sep 2019 2:05 pm
JulesK

Andy, I tried what you said yesterday and wheel spun then seemed to grab, just wondering as I have new haldex fitted under warranty Confused

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #378279 13th Sep 2019 5:02 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I have always been confused by how well my FL2 pulls out of muddy lanes onto a main road, and gathers speed, with virtually no wheel spin. All four wheels seem to grip and propel me away.
The book seems to say that although the haldex is pre-engaged from standstill up to about 19mph, any steering lock should release the haldex, and become FWD. (Although it does say acute steering angles)

I am always amazed by how much grip such a heavy powerful car such as my FL2 can generate.

I agree with Jules K description of how it should react, with the minimum of scrabble, then just acceleration, with no steering feedback. No need to lock it into 1st, as the auto (torque converter) has more than enough power to upset the steering/grip if 4 wheel drive is not working.

The active on-demand coupling provides the following functions:
Electronic management of torque transfer.
Rapid engagement in response to traction demands.
Rapid disengagement to ensure its operation cannot corrupt wheel speed signals and compromise stability control system operation; this is especially important on very low friction surfaces.
Pre-engagement from rest to minimize the risk of wheel-spin.
No opposing forces when maneuvring or parking the vehicle.

When negotiating very low friction surfaces such as wet grass, snow or ice; initial wheel-spin can cut into the surface and reduce grip. With a re-active on-demand coupling, almost 60 degrees of wheel rotation would occur before torque could be transmitted through the coupling.

On Generation 3 couplings, to counteract this Land Rover developed a unique high-pressure pre-charge facility which energizes the hydraulic circuit as soon as the engine is started. Essentially an electrically operated hydraulic pump was designed to maintain a potential of 500 Nm (369 lb ft) of torque pressure within the coupling. (This pre-charge torque capacity has been increased to 1500Nm (1106 lb ft) for the Generation 4 coupling.)

Vehicles fitted with Terrain Response also add further benefits by varying the level of pre-charge to deliver optimum traction over a range of different terrain surfaces. The level of pre-charge is varied depending on the particular terrain response mode, for example:

Terrain response in 'Special Programs Off' mode as common with vehicles without terrain response, the coupling is programmed to transmit 500 Nm 369 lb ft of torque on Generation 3 couplings and 1500 Nm (1106 lb ft) of torque on Generation 4 couplings to the rear axle when the vehicle moves from rest in a straight line. This strategy minimizes traction loss from a standing-start regardless of the terrain. When the vehicle accelerates the pressure in the coupling is decreased to improve fuel economy.

The ability to sense the steering angle allows the coupling to be programmed to provide no torque transfer through the coupling. This prevents the coupling locking when the vehicle is maneuvring at low speeds and acute steering angles.

In 'Grass / Gravel / Snow' mode the coupling is programmed to maintain its pre-charge state until much higher speeds are obtained. The same applies even if the vehicle is traveling at low speeds and acute steering angles, as traction takes precedence over coupling lock-up on low-friction surfaces.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #378282 13th Sep 2019 5:42 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

JulesK wrote:
Andy, I tried what you said yesterday and wheel spun then seemed to grab, just wondering as I have new haldex fitted under warranty

The traction control will kick in and try to grab the spinning wheel, sending drive to the stationary front wheel, this should keep you moving - it's how front wheel drive cars with traction control work.

I no longer have the FL2, but in all the time I had her the front wheels never spun until the front transfer box failed. Yes they did squeal when I set off hard when turning (often) but they never spun like the wife's euro-tin-box. That little sewing machine will spin tyres for several seconds before I remember to back off the loud pedal - no traction control.

Yes the DS will squeal a tyre but again never spin (just like the FL2), even with my foot down hard and a caravan on the back turning out of a junction. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #378283 13th Sep 2019 6:01 pm
JulesK

Think we're all talking about the same thing but in different amounts, I just remember back to my LR experience day and they said about keeping my foot down when starting to slip on a gradient. Thumbs Up If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #378286 13th Sep 2019 7:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1