« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Number plates from Amazon or eBay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red
Number plates from Amazon or eBay

Has anyone bought plates from the above sites? Halfords are looking for £32 for a set of plates but these 2 places are about £13 for a set . The places on eBay seem to want you to pay before you give them the reg details, I was just wondering if anyone has done this before? Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #378076 9th Sep 2019 9:09 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

have used eBay twice
great service and genuine "looking" plates - they are classed as show plates, so don't necessarily have a BS number or the phone number / post code of the supplier, which is required in the UK. Not that many MOT testers are that keen.

Mine were/are fitted to the caravan, so no MOT issues. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #378077 9th Sep 2019 9:23 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I did it years ago for a reg plate for my scooter. I think you have to pay first and then you enter your reg number in 'message to seller’. Can’t see any other way to do it. It’s not like you are choosing a size or colour of an item first. You normally have to do that for any personalised item. Won’t be a problem - if you pay by PayPal and it’s not in line with your order, you get a full refund. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Last edited by Steve D on 9th Sep 2019 9:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #378078 9th Sep 2019 9:24 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

I have bought a few sets from Ebay without any issues. I use sellers that do not ask for any owner details (V5 etc) as they sell "show" plates but the plates are fully legal with bs number and seller postcode. Usually received in a couple of days.

Post #378079 9th Sep 2019 9:25 pm
Purplemadboy

Thanks guys , I use eBay tomorrow. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #378080 9th Sep 2019 9:26 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have always used “plates for cars” and although they do show plates and custom plates you can specify the BS symbol if required, they do a good service and can be chatted to if you have any special queries.

Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #378118 10th Sep 2019 11:10 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I’ve never had a problem in over 25 years with getting an MOT on , let’s say “ Mild “ show plates . That’s legal size and font on the car , but with quite frankly illegal spacing on our two plates which are 5 characters without a gap . I’ve never wanted a suppliers name or BS on them . Even when I had the bikes , on scaled down sub legal ( but not silly size ) plates , the only comment I had from a real traffic policeman when we were stopped as part of a “ crackdown “ check on roadworthiness was that he could understand why I didn’t want a tea tray on the back of an immaculate Italian sports bike , and he’d not put pen to paper .

The one thing I did find out is that main dealers won’t deviate from legal when supplying a car , but don’t mind affixing your supplied “ show plates “ and leaving theirs in the boot , on the understanding that “ you did it in the car park , before leaving their premises . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #378152 10th Sep 2019 7:24 pm
Purplemadboy

I ordered a set of plates from eBay then I read what I should have read at the start, the company want me to send I’d etc via recorded delivery. 30 minutes after placing the order I tried to cancel, sent 4 emails via eBay & no response from the seller. Big Cry
I drove into Glasgow & got a set made up for £20 Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #378156 10th Sep 2019 7:38 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Don't rule out main dealers for plates, the local Citroen dealer used to charge £4.44 per plate.

They did eventually go bust . . .

Post #378165 10th Sep 2019 9:52 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Purplemadboy wrote:
I ordered a set of plates from eBay then I read what I should have read at the start, the company want me to send I’d etc via recorded delivery. 30 minutes after placing the order I tried to cancel, sent 4 emails via eBay & no response from the seller. Big Cry
I drove into Glasgow & got a set made up for £20

ive seen that on ebay and amazon too., ive had plates from Ebay before with just a photo of my V5 required as proof of ownership but when i tried to get some for my D4 they all wanted original documents in the post before they would despatch.

i got the square rear one i need made up at a local car spares shop, and he said he regularly gets visits from DVLA/VOSA people checking up to make sure he is complying with the law. So ebay sellers are now no different to going to Halfords etc other than the price is cheaper.

i would rather not send my V5 etc to an unknown ebayer though so ill stick with local places instead.

Post #378176 11th Sep 2019 7:02 am
ronp

Scotland 

I always use Demon Plates for mine.
http://www.demonplates.com/platebuilder.php?plateStyle=standard
Not the cheapest, but with their great 'plate builder' you get to spec your own individual plates.
When ordered you then just scan a couple of docs and email them. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #378194 11th Sep 2019 10:33 am
Purplemadboy

The eBay seller eventually got back to me late last night and refunded my £12. Thumbs Up . I was going to go to my local Halfords but they wanted £32 a set.
Anyone who knows Glasgow will know the area I went too, it was in the barrows on the gallowgate, it’s been years since I’ve been there.
First local I saw had a big razor slash & bouncing on his toes , as high as a kite . Standing outside the shop while the plates were getting made up another junkie asked me for a couple of quid for the bus Rolling Eyes what happened to 10p for a cup of tea? Boy was I happy to be heading home to my own midden in Hamilton. Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #378207 11th Sep 2019 2:00 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Autoparts in Hillhouse would have done you a set for £20!

Post #378208 11th Sep 2019 2:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1