Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Cigar lighter socket current limited?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
di11on

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black
Cigar lighter socket current limited?

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if it's possible that the ECU can limit the current draw on the lighter socket?

I ask because I am trying to power a raspberry pi + Apple Car Play dongle via this circuit. It works fine until I plug my phone in to the dongle. The setup works fine using a 2A charger but when plugged into the cigar lighter circuit, it's not working correctly when I plug my phone in. This happens with just ignition on and when the engine is running, so it can't be voltage related (or can it?). The precise symptoms are that my phone connects and disconnects several times quite fast.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas about what could be going on.

Edit: assuming a current limit on the cigar socket is the problem, can someone recommend an alternative circuit?

Cheers

Post #377352 24th Aug 2019 3:46 pm
rhys_m

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Only way it can limit the current is via the fuse, so if you have exceeded that current your fuse would blow and wouldn't provide power until it gets replaced.

I suspect the cable is your cause, are you using a decent cable with this? Not all cables are created equal, powering my pi from one cable can be bad enough that it doesn't even boot, then a decent cable will run the pi, touchscreen, and slowly charge my phone with no problem at all.

Post #377369 24th Aug 2019 8:55 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Fuse is 20 amps on each of the outlets. Voltage is around 14.4 when the car is running. I have bought a few USB charging adaptors & some don't work on all things. Very frustrating.

Found one (a no name brand) in Broome Western Australia last year it worked with everything, so I went back in the shop & bought a spare!

These days I generally charge phones, camera batteries & USB Olight torches off my auxiliary batteries. I set it at 13.8 volts when charging from car via DC to DC. Up to 14.2 volts via MPPT solar charger. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #377373 25th Aug 2019 12:17 am
Brit plumber

United Kingdom 

I believe the only limit is placed on the USB connection that runs direct to the FCDIM (according to LR literature for the LR4 and RRS).

Post #377409 26th Aug 2019 3:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1