« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Vibration when pulling away
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
seadog

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Vibration when pulling away

Recently I've noticed a sort of vibration when pulling away from a standstill if the front wheels are turned slightly.

For example, if I was doing a three-point turn, pulling away on the third point of the turn with the front wheels angled one way or the other, I can feel a sort of vibration, maybe a bit like traction control or something coming into play, although I wouldn't have though it should on level dry roads.

The vibration is only there for a couple of seconds as the car first moves forward, as soon as the car is doing four or five mph and/or the steering wheel is centred, the vibration stops. Only noticed it when going forwards as well, not in reverse.

Car is a 2014 Metropolis automatic (ex Scott group.... yes I know) with only 13000 miles on the clock, seems to run ok and this vibration has only appeared, or I've only just noticed it, in the last couple of months, I've had the car about 18 months and the manufacturers warranty finished later this year.

Any ideas anyone please or is it nothing to worry about?

Post #320891 6th Apr 2017 8:39 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Suggests your Haldex is not disengaging (should when steering is turned on pull away). Possibly a software issue. Sorry, Dealer visit needed....

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #320897 6th Apr 2017 11:13 pm
seadog

Thank you, as the car is still under manufacturers warranty it shouldn't be a problem

Post #320899 7th Apr 2017 12:28 am
Volrider

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

Did the software update fix this?
I only ask as I have noticed on my 14 plate 15k miles has the same effect when I pull off with the wheels turned to left or right, normally only does it once when I first pull off the drive which is slightly down hill and I have the wheel turned to the left. I have ignored it as I get no warnings just the odd sensation of traction cutting in, I put it down to being a 4X4 and never had one before. 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #377309 23rd Aug 2019 4:34 pm
seadog

This issue was eventually traced to a yaw sensor, the garage (approved independent) had the car for several days and went to Land Rover for advice on the problem, it was Land Rover that 'diagnosed' the problem as a yaw sensor.

However, that was back in 2017, the car started doing it again in early 2018 so back it went and this time the Haldex was flushed out - they found some 'debris', possibly caused by the faulty yaw sensor, and problem solved ……. I was told that if the problem returned I would need a new Haldex!

Guess what? The vibration returned again a few months later with the result that a new Haldex had to be fitted early this year. Fortunately I had taken out an extended warranty because the total bill was over £1800...……(warranty cost £790 including Land Rover Assistance)

My car had covered less that 19000 miles when it needed a new Haldex, but I wonder if the initial vibration wasn't the Haldex on it's way out at 13000 miles......

Post #377316 23rd Aug 2019 7:35 pm
Volrider

Umm so it could be expensive!! Well if it is Haldex and as its only doing it very rarely I will leave it alone and not worry about it until I have to Smile 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #377330 24th Aug 2019 6:37 am
seadog

You might find it is normal, it could be the traction control kicking in.

Easy way to check is to park on the flat, then pull away turning left or right, do it several times at different speeds, if it does it then, you may have a problem with the Haldex.

In the end, with mine, the vibration was easily noticeable and if I turned to the right and pulled away, the right hand rear wheel would 'skip' - I don't know if it was the same turning left as I didn't check it, but if you suspect this, get a mate to watch it while you drive.

Best of luck!

I'm into the second year of extended warranty on mine, you could maybe ask about one for your car (mines also a 64 plate and they cover them up to ten years old/100000 miles "at time of purchase" - Google it) There's two levels, one for £64 per month and one for £79 per month, ten payments per year, the latter includes Land Rover Assistance. So I'm covered for just about everything for two years and have already got more than my money back for the Haldex repair...……..

Post #377332 24th Aug 2019 7:36 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Can you not pull the fuse for the haldex? You’ll obviously have a warning light on the dash but you can at least see whether the problem disappears which will confirm it’s the haldex. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #377334 24th Aug 2019 7:54 am
Volrider

Skipping is a very good description. Very Happy Thanks for the advice and I will check that out when the car returns Monday, Daughter using it for the Cheshire show this weekend with her Otterhound, I watched her pull away this morning and all looked ok. Like I say never had a 4X4 before so it may well be normal as it only does it once when its first used off the drive when cold.
I may speak to Bell Engineering who are not far away from me, about an hour if the problem gets worse.
I bought the car 12 months ago with my daughter for taking her large hound to country fairs etc and general use, I have done about 1000 miles in a year so not much use. I bought it from a Nissan garage they serviced it (have receipts) and a local mechanic who works on MG's and other classics did a service just after the MOT again I have receipts for the service record but neither service logged with Land Rover so I reckon an extended warranty would be an issue.

**** Just re read your post, I think mine is a front wheel skip not rear wheel, seems to feel from the front Near Side wheel when I turn left off drive? I will do a more extensive test next week. I drive a 2010 FL2 at work at weekends and it has 150k miles on it and that does it as well so it may well be nothing just my nerves in the wallet area panicking Laughing 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #377335 24th Aug 2019 8:21 am
seadog

OK, well post back here if you find anything out, it's all interesting stuff.

Post #377344 24th Aug 2019 12:42 pm
Volrider

Ok an update, my trusted mechanic had a test drive in it today as I think its getting worse and needs looking at, he found that at slow speeds on turning the noise and vibration was travelling from back to front and vice versa, he thought the tyre wear on the nearside front and rear was a little scuffed compared to the other two and thought possible wheel alignment issue but also to try taking out the Haldex fuse to see if its that causing the issue. I will try that tomorrow, FB6 is that in the boot? 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #386940 22nd Feb 2020 4:48 pm
seadog

Cheers for the update, the vibration on mine also seemed to travel from back to front - along the driveline I guess, really more of a sort of 'gentle juddering' would be one way to describe it.

A few weeks ago the control module for my Haldex failed!!! Nearly six hundred beer tokens to replace, I'm glad I took out that warranty! So whether this was the root cause that initially upset the Haldex or the other way round, either way I was a tad disappointed with the failure, ok, I didn't have to pay anything but really, the car has now only done 21000 miles so shouldn't have had problems like that at such a low mileage.

Let's know when you've sorted it - oh, yes, I believe FB6 is in the boot fuse box.

My front tyres are worn on the outside edges, one a bit more than the other, but the garage say this is normal for my driving, mainly short round town journeys with lots of use of the power steering as opposed to straight line motorway driving.

Post #386944 22nd Feb 2020 6:10 pm
Volrider

Yes that describes it perfectly Smile My mileage is 16,000 I've not used it much probably less than 2k in a year and half, sadly no warranty and as I have not had it serviced the last twice with JLR I doubt a warranty would touch it anyway. I am sort of convincing myself that this is going to cost me a grand to get it fixed I just hope thats the end of it and I dont get future issues, the mad thing is at work I drive occasionally a 2010 FL2 that has got 160k miles on it and I doubt looked after that much and it drives perfectly Shocked
I will chat with Bell next week and see what they say but reading yours and other posts I doubt a Haldex service will cure this as that low mileage points to it being still ok oil wise.
It drives fine just the symptoms happening on turning the wheel when pulling away, just worried if it is left if it will cause more expensive damage....

Like I said I will pull the fuse tomorrow that will give me the definitive answer I guess 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #386946 22nd Feb 2020 6:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1