Home > In Car Electronics > Freelander 2 S Stereo Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
iainfoxf

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Freelander 2 S Stereo Replacement

Hi all,

Having recently just purchased my first Freelander 2 S, I am wanting to switch out the original base model stereo and replace it, ideally, with the Land Rover stereo model which has bluetooth.
There are various original stereos on ebay etc which have been removed from the same model year as mine (2007) that have the telephone buttons etc on and some come with the screen and nav.
Would one of these be a simple(ish) straight swap for the existing basic head unit or would it involve adding many additional parts such as the bluetooth module etc?
As you can tell I am new too all of this so any advice or pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Iain

Post #377268 23rd Aug 2019 6:13 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

its quite a big job to upgrade to a standard LR set up, lots of cabling, modules and panel removing.

you will be better off getting an after market head unit (Pioneer, Kenwood etc) and buying an adaptor cable to keep steering wheel controls and parking sensors.

Post #377272 23rd Aug 2019 6:41 am
iainfoxf

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have the most basic of all basic Land rovers so no steering mounted controlls and no reverse sensors to worry about.
All I want is bluetooth (and if the screen and sat nav isnt too hard then that too)!
The stereo I have now doesnt have the buttons for bluetooth etc so wasnt sure if I bought a system that does, whether or not it would be a simple swap out I.e. do the Freelanders come pre wired for bluetooth and if I buy a module and a head unit, if it is an easy fit?

Iain

Post #377274 23rd Aug 2019 6:45 am
RogB

quite a few threads on here regarding upgrading stereo units, have a play with the search function.

however the bottom line is that the basic units like yours are easy to change out for aftermarket units

if you want to upgrade to a LR unit, particularly with the screen, then you are looking at a lot of work and expense and as the basic units run on traditional electrical cabling while the midline and premium units run on fibre optic cabling its not a job for the faint hearted.

my suggestion would be a parrot bluetooth unit like this one that does calls and music streaming

https://www.halfords.com/technology/blueto...ree-kit-v3

and an aftermarket satnav that fits into the cubby box above the stereo.

the parrot kits are available elsewhere for cheaper by the way as £250 fitted is quite a lot.

have a look in my gallery for pictures of the set up i had in my white GS Freelander, that had basically the same head unit as yours.

Post #377276 23rd Aug 2019 7:13 am
Suckfish

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Does your car have the audio in jack? Its located at the rear of the centre consul?
I added a Bluetooth receiver and hard wired it into the car - works perfectly. 1 button to connect to Bluetooth and also can take calls on it.
search on ebay for 2.1A USB 2.0 Bluetooth wireless car adapter kit hands-free music controller.

Post #377277 23rd Aug 2019 7:22 am
RogB

I forgot about those BT adaptors... and only around £5 on Ebay so worth a shot to start off with Thumbs Up

but my experience with them is that the rear charging point needs to work consistently or your always unplugging it to recharge it in another socket and the Aux socket on the FL2 is a bit over 3.5mm so the connection is a bit loose

Post #377287 23rd Aug 2019 9:16 am
iainfoxf

Thanks for the advice; I'll give the adaptor a go and then look at after market units if I dont get on with it!

Post #377296 23rd Aug 2019 10:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1