« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Written off Jag
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Written off Jag

I thought readers might be interested in this, 2015 Jaguar XJ 3.0 my daughter's boyfriend's car had what doesn't look like a major bump but it's been written off. Apparently a lot of suspension and steering damage and about £15k quote to repair. Certainty doesn't look that bad on the surface. Luckily no one hurt.

3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377174 21st Aug 2019 8:43 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Insurance companies are very quick to write off cars these days if they are the ones paying out to repair. There is a thread on here somewhere about the at fault insurer paying to repair a FL2 when the owners insurance company was going to write it off for minor damage to the door and rear wing.

if your daughters BF wasnt at fault and is claiming off the other drivers insurance they normally dont write off in all but the worst cases.

guess it will depend on the value of the car versus the cost of the repairs

glad nobody was hurt Thumbs Up

Post #377176 21st Aug 2019 9:04 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As mentioned above, all depends upon the value of the car......that could be quite an old vehicle (without knowing the MD). Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #377179 21st Aug 2019 9:27 am
dorsetfreelander

Its a 2015 Jaguar XJ 3 litre auto and you can get a similar aged approved used from a dealer for about £25k. I remember seeing somewhere that if the cost of repair is more than about 60% of a replacement then it's a write off. I hope that a Land Rover would fare better in a bump like this but it's probably best to get it written off as who knows what other damage might have been done. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #377181 21st Aug 2019 9:40 am
RogB

superficially that looks like new bumper and bits, bonnet, headlight, grill etc and possibly a new wing and wheel.

i can pretty much guarantee that someone will buy that and put it safely back on the road,

i would assume that the insurer as always is going off the trade value of the car and as im guessing its a prefacelift XF they can be bought quite cheap now relatively speaking.

Post #377182 21st Aug 2019 9:47 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

The purpose of insurance is to facilitate putting things back as they were, so if the bump is not your fault then you can insist on the car being repaired (assuming repair is possible). However the insurance company will often want to write off the car as repairs may cost more than the market value of the car. This way the insurance company saves money, and that is before they sell off the car for spares. If you were not at fault then stick out for repairs and the cost of hring a replacement car - that is what we buy insurance over and above the legal requirements for. It is a myth that if the insurance company offers or declares the car a write then that decision is final - it is not.

Anyway, that bump will T Cut out Rolling Eyes

J

Post #377183 21st Aug 2019 10:20 am
Boxbrownie

If at an AUD sale it would be approx 25K then you can rest assured the insurance valuation will be 15-18K.......if the repair quote is 15K I am not surprised it got WO.

You can argue and present evidence of equivalent pre owned for sale models but they will not take a main dealer price, just a good secondhand if your lucky.

PITA for sure, looked a nice car. Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #377185 21st Aug 2019 11:37 am
Boxbrownie

Regardless of all that as Jimbo says......stick it out for a result, keep on at them and hope for the best Thumbs Up Regards

David

Post #377186 21st Aug 2019 11:40 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Does your insurer know if you had taken out gap insurance at the time of purchase?
I ask because my BMW got caught in the middle of a 3 car shunt.
It required the following replacement:
Bonnet
lights
grill
front bumper
windscreen
airbags
dash board
seat belt tensioners
head restraints
rear bumper & valance
battery box
exhaust pipe inc DPF & catalyst
partial respray
repair to tailgate

Total bill was £23K
I had paid £28K a year before when it was a year old (it was 44K when new)
I cant help thinking that it would have been written off if I didnt have the gap insurance. Jules

Post #377266 23rd Aug 2019 12:27 am
dorsetfreelander

It wasn't my car. As I said at the top of this thread it's my daughter's boyfriend's car. I don't know the details of his insurance or whose fault it was but they have made a couple of visits to the Jaguar dealer this week so I suspect he is using it as an excuse for an upgrade. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #377279 23rd Aug 2019 8:29 am
dorsetfreelander

One final part to this story. Daughter's boyfriend has now got an 18 reg jaguar XJ and wanted the calipers painted red just like the factory fitted red ones on his written off XF He happened to mention it to his insurance company and they have refused to insure him if he gets them painted red. Go figure. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #379093 30th Sep 2019 7:24 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Better not wear red undies in the car, that will probably be an issue as well! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #379100 30th Sep 2019 9:18 pm
Boxbrownie

dorsetfreelander wrote:
One final part to this story. Daughter's boyfriend has now got an 18 reg jaguar XJ and wanted the calipers painted red just like the factory fitted red ones on his written off XF He happened to mention it to his insurance company and they have refused to insure him if he gets them painted red. Go figure.

Most likely the issue being either his age and ANY modifications would be a red flag or they see the red callipers as a modification the XF-R has and makes the vehicle more desirable to scumbags at first glance. Regards

David

Post #379107 1st Oct 2019 9:39 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

My Daughter Bought a new Toyota yaris Icon,
she wanted the next model up but it was fitted with LED day running lights and super dooper radio. They wouldn't insure her !
So she bought the Icon model without LED day running lights and that was fine. Only about £330 quid fully comp
Her Icon still has day running lights but just not LED , some of these insurance companies weird or what ! even the guy on the phone to her couldn't figure it out and went away to sort but couldn't override so it had to be the ICON.
Both same engine 1.5VVTi Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #379532 8th Oct 2019 1:50 pm
RogB

my son was insuring his Audi A6 last year, stated as parking on the drive. It was a bit pricey so he said ok change it to garaged (i think i must have the worlds largest garage!! Laughing )........ the quote went up!!!!

apparently due to a lot of thefts from garages in my postcode area (its a massive area) they bump the premiums up no matter what it was that was being stolen, which was probably power tools etc

weird insurance companies definitely

Post #379533 8th Oct 2019 2:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>