« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Outback Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey
Outback Trip

Vesko and I did a quick trip from Sydney -> White Cliffs -> Cameron Corner -> Lake Eyre -> Alice Springs Area -> Chambers Pillar -> Lamberts Centre back in the beginning of October. Approximately 7000kms in 8 days, we weren't mucking around. Originally we were going to do a Simpson Desert crossing but we were rained out while the rest of the country is in a drought. Go figure. We had to turn away from the desert and head back down towards the Oodnadatta Track where we visited Lake Eyre. A very nice campsite at Halligan Bay, with the rare opportunity to actually see water in the lake. Normally it is just a massive salt flat that is 10 metres below sea level. I have no pictures, Vesko has a camera full, perhaps he'll load them up?
We couldn't continue up the Oodnadatta Track after William Creek as it was closed due to rain. Believe me, you cannot drive the roads out there after any rain, you just sink to the floor pan spinning your wheels. We cut across to Coober Pedy and up the centre tar road towards Alice Springs. At the Uluru turn off, we temporarily split up, Vesko went to Kings Canyon and I went to explore areas west of Alice Springs I hadn't been to before.
First was Owen Springs Nature Reserve and Lawrence Gorge. Quite a nice drive along a dry rocky river bed

An interesting feature out there are the mobile hotspots. You are way out of mobile phone range, but they have little dishes that you rest your phone in that pick up very weak signals and amplify them to the phone cradle

Next, I made my way to Palm Valley. This is a very nice place with a nice scenic 4wd track, I recommend it to anyone out there. The photos do not do it justice, you had to be there....very impressed.

No pictures of the actual palms, good on me. Smile

Next I had to race and meet up with Vesko at Chambers Pillar. We were a bit late getting there, the sun was going down and we couldn't see anything driving right at the sun with dust everywhere. A nice campsite and impressive stone pillar.
Next morning it was along the Old Ghan Railway track towards Finke, home of the Fink Desert Race, look it up. Just out of Finke is Lamberts Centre, the geographic centre of Australia....there's a flag there....Vesko has pictures. If he's there I put my phone away.

Anway, I came back with 20kgs of mud stuck to every part of the car, lost all 4wd, now front wheel drive only, and ripped off parts of the under carriage of the car (fuel line protection) $$$$$ Big Cry . Other than that it was a really excellent trip.

Pictures please Vesko!!!! Smile

Post #334950 12th Nov 2017 8:44 am
Largered

WELL DONE !!!!!!!

another owner who uses him vehicle for what it was built for !!!

from the photos I notice you have the same problem as mine, when fully loaded the rear suspension sags ....... have you got a photo of spare wheel mount ?

Post #334967 12th Nov 2017 10:18 am
mikehzz

I just strapped a spare tyre to a bicycle rack I had that attaches to the towbar. I used it because I had my roof tent on so couldn't put the spare up top. I was pretty loaded up inside with diesel jerries and water, fridge, second battery, recovery gear, kitchen sink, bathtub......Smile

Post #334969 12th Nov 2017 10:29 am
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Great pics , it looks fun .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #334983 12th Nov 2017 2:46 pm
kris-p

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

Very nice! I can't wait to go for another off road trip myself. Is that a roof top tent in the pictures? It looks quite small for a tent?

Post #375783 26th Jul 2019 11:19 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Largered wrote:
WELL DONE !!!!!!!

from the photos I notice you have the same problem as mine, when fully loaded the rear suspension sags ....... have you got a photo of spare wheel mount ?

unfortunately we can't all galivant around for months at a time due to lack of money and time spent earning money Sad Common sense isn't very common.

Post #375786 26th Jul 2019 1:30 pm
Benzol

Australia 

Awesome, Well done Mike.

Post #375790 26th Jul 2019 3:06 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

axle wrote:
Largered wrote:
WELL DONE !!!!!!!

unfortunately we can't all galivant around for months at a time due to lack of money and time spent earning money Sad

And......not all of us want to Wink Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #375795 26th Jul 2019 5:28 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

People don't realise just how much fuel, water beer & recovery equipment you need to carry in the remote outback.

Just don't ask what their payload is as they will do anything if they can loose some weight off the back!

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #375850 28th Jul 2019 6:52 am
mikehzz

kris-p wrote:
Very nice! I can't wait to go for another off road trip myself. Is that a roof top tent in the pictures? It looks quite small for a tent?

It's an Oasis 5.2 hammock style tent. Only weighs 17kgs and is quite good for solo camping.

Post #377972 8th Sep 2019 12:00 am
mikehzz

axle wrote:
Largered wrote:
WELL DONE !!!!!!!

unfortunately we can't all galivant around for months at a time due to lack of money and time spent earning money Sad

That's why we did 7000kms in 8 days....

Post #377973 8th Sep 2019 12:02 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

"another owner who uses him vehicle for what it was built for !!!"

And there was me thinking that modern LandRovers were built for the school run. Laughing 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377988 8th Sep 2019 9:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1