Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Shape of FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

I went to view a Defender Wolf last week as I regretted selling my LR Lightweight back in January after a full rebuild. Although I've owned Defenders in the past, the last one I had was around 10 years ago. I couldn't believe how high I was when on the test drive compared to my F2. I must say, this actually put me off buying it. Guess I've got used to the ride height and comfort of my F2. Now, this must be me showing my age , but the F2 is really all I need. I'm 50 next year and the test drive in that Wolf has taught me that I don't need a rickety old uncomfortable and noisy Defender , regardless of how high I sit.
It just begs the question of what to replace the F2 with when the time comes. There's nothing in the current range (assuming I could afford them anyway) that floats my boat. I'm a Land Rover enthusiast (30 + owned) but fear the only thing left to me will be the new Defender, but I can't wait 10 years until they are affordable for me.
The Disco 4 may be my next motor. The current trend of low roof, small window SUV's just don't cut it. It has to be a boxy 4x4, which , sadly, seems to be a thing of the past.

Post #375505 20th Jul 2019 10:54 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I have gone through this quandary many times myself. The only car I'd consider as a replacement would be a D3/D4. They too have the command position and feel even more 4x4. I flippin' love the look of them too.

But. They have far higher running costs, especially some of the D3s and are even more costly to repair than the FL2 as far as I know. That's what's stopped me getting one.

Problem is I think once you've owned an FL2, if it fits you well, you'll struggle to find anything else to match it. Which is why I've decided to just run mine into the ground. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because Iā€™m mental

Post #375609 22nd Jul 2019 2:20 pm
eddiekol

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I regret ever getting rid of my Freelander, but looming retirement and a need to have something more affordable to run, dictated my decision. Although my current Tiguan covers all my needs, it isn't as comfortable, thereby causing me problems with lower back pain and osteoarthritis in my knees whilst driving. I never seemed to get aches and pains in the Freelander.

Post #375613 22nd Jul 2019 6:47 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Same here Eddie, FL2 _____ Tiguan______ FL2.. Thumbs Up If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

šŸ‘
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #375614 22nd Jul 2019 7:43 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

When we were looking for a new car other half wanted a Tiguan..... I won! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #375624 22nd Jul 2019 10:14 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Looking at my original pictures, I can't help noticing that the FL2 has much less overhang behind the rear axle, compared with the Ford and Skoda.

I don't tow anything but surely this must make for more stable towing for those that do.

Also after reading the comments above about who choose the FL2, I am afraid I have to admit that my FL2 was bought because my wife thought the FL2 looked safe and wanted a white one. My input was to choose one that was automatic, and had a sub 10 sec to 60mph performance, to allow easy driving.

I would have gone for another quick-ish large estate car.

That said, I quickly grew to love the driving position and height, also I found it had a go anywhere feeling in bad weather. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #375628 22nd Jul 2019 11:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12