« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Dangers of keyless igniton
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Dangers of keyless igniton

I had an interesting experience last week with my wife's Suzuki Swift which is apparently increasingly relevant to modern cars. We drove to meet my brother and parked in a garden centre car park. As we were going to continue our journey afterwards to a new location I pressed the start button to get the ignition going again (but without foot on brake so engine didn't start) and set the new destination in the sat nav. OK so far and off we go to meet brother in cafe. After 4 hours we emerge and the car is totally dead. Eventually we call the AA and guy arrives takes one look and says "bet you have a flat battery" he connects his jump leads and everything springs into life. Tested charging etc and no problem. He then asked exactly what we had done and had I really turned the ignition off when we finished setting the sat nav. I couldn't actually remember but said that surely it powers down after a period of inactivity? He then told us that with the latest keyless ignitions they don't seem to power down and also that manufacturers are now fitting smaller batteries. He said that they are seeing a lot of new cars with keyless ignition in exactly this situation.
I am pretty sure that the keyless FL2 power down after a time if just left on but haven't actually tested it. Of course in the old days you just took the key out of the ignition and no problem. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #375495 20th Jul 2019 8:26 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A couple of minutes for the Freelander for most of the car. Then after some weeks my understanding is that it goes into hibernation.

The car is a bit irritating when camping, we try not to close the doors fully untill we have finished for the day as long as we are near it. I have taken out the footwell globes & the boot globe as they come on everytime you open a door or close it fully. The car thinks you want to drive off! Also I turn off he ceiling lights as well. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #375534 21st Jul 2019 9:29 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I would have thought if you locked the car after leaving it the ign would turn off regardless, are you absolutely sure the car was locked?

If it was locked and the ign can be left on when locked then it is a carp design and Suzuki should be ashamed of themselves. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #375540 21st Jul 2019 10:00 am
dorsetfreelander

Not absolutely sure it was locked as when we got back we opened the driver's door as usual but the other doors wouldn't open (which points to the lack of power to unlock them) so perhaps it wouldn't lock with the ignition on but we just walked away assuming that it was OK. The interesting comment out of all this is that the AA are seeing a lot of these situations on a lot of different cars with keyless (clueless?) ignition. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #375547 21st Jul 2019 10:28 am
Boxbrownie

Or possibly just a cynical AA man? Laughing Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #375550 21st Jul 2019 11:18 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Had a look to see what my DS did in a similar situation. With ignition on but engine not started a warning bong sounds when you get out the car with the smart key and the dash display shows an ignition on warning message. If you close the drivers door with the ignition still on then the ignition goes off after a second or so but the mileage/date/Land Rover logo on the dash stays on for a couple of minutes or so then powers down. If the ignition is on with engine not running and you close and lock the door then every thing shuts down right away. You cannot accidentally leave the ignition on unless you walk away without closing the drivers door. Seems to be a more sophisticated system than the Suzuki one! Thumbs Up
Edit to above! You cannot leave the ignition on accidentally by leaving a door open as after a few minutes with the warning bong the ignition turns off and the car shuts down as normal! Definitely more sophisticated than the Suzuki! Thumbs Up

Last edited by dondiddy on 23rd Jul 2019 8:05 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #375625 22nd Jul 2019 9:25 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

The FL2 Battery Management System gradually shuts down all circuits except (after about 28 days) the perimeter alarm.

This includes door locking circuits.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32790.ht...eter+alarm FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #375627 22nd Jul 2019 10:26 pm
dorsetfreelander

Reminds me of the old days on an ICL 2900 series mainframe computer where there was an car ignition key next to the system reload switch to stop anyone accidentally pressing the system reload switch when you had 100+ users online. Fujitsu took us over and Japanese engineers asked "why do you need the key if you are not supposed to press the switch?". They couldn't understand why anyone would do such a thing if they were told not to. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #375646 23rd Jul 2019 9:44 am
Boxbrownie

Yep, every time I worked there I just loved the Japanese work ethic Rolling with laughter

Early days there I was given a lift into the middle of Tokyo by a mate I was staying with, we parked the car in a multi story and as I was winding the window up he turn off the ign so it stayed half open, I said “hang on I didn’t shut the window completely” to which he pointed out that no one would pinch the car as if they did and got caught (a very high probability in Japan) they would shame their family.

Same recently, walking through the streets you often come across groups of angry looking youths (dressed in some very odd styles including skin heads and rockers) in this country you’d avoid at all costs over there if the group is walking towards you they just part politely and pass by, try that in the UK Shocked Regards

David

Post #375692 24th Jul 2019 7:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1