« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Three piece propshaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

United Kingdom 
Three piece propshaft

Hi folks, be gentle as I've popped over from the Def 2 Forum. A good friend has an 09 Freelander 2 and she has been saying that the car has been clunking and juddering on hard turns at low speeds, ie when parking or driving off her drive onto the street.
She had the big yellow taxi home about 6 weeks ago when she was around 70 miles from home, straight to a reputable LR Independent who couldn't find much wrong but recommended a replacement IRD and a new sleeve. He checked the oil level on the Haldex unit and passed it as fairly good.
Last night she asked if I would have a look and it can act like it's locking up the drivetrain on hard lock at low speeds and my initial thoughts were that a CV joint was falling apart at the front but after jacking it up the fronts feel good. What I have found though is the reat CV joint where the prop joins the Haldex Unit is very notchy and can bind when compressed or stretched. I've taken the whole prop off and the car drives as it should allbeit in 2WD.
What pointed me to this conclusion was that when fixed to the car there was a little weep pf one shot type grease at the joint and when taken off it is visibly very loose and is not smooth when flexing the joint unlike the one at the IRD end.
I've had a search on the Forum and haven't come across anything too similar, a perusal of the Russian "microcat" site says that the prop comes as a complete unit, the CV's are not available seperately so I was wondering if anybody had come across a way of replacing just the dodgy CV or am I destined to have yet another ornament in my shed and a complete replacement prop on her car?

Post #375511 21st Jul 2019 2:47 am
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Yes, searching this site will reveal that the FL2 prop is a one-piece unit.

You are very close to Austen at Bell Engineering (Bewdley) who is very knowledgeable, helpful and capable where FL2 transmissions are concerned. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #375675 23rd Jul 2019 7:14 pm
JWL

United Kingdom 

When I did my search on here I couldn't find what I was asking hence my post, just wondered if anyone had made an attempt at a propshaft repair

Post #375676 23rd Jul 2019 7:29 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I believe that a few people have tried it or ended up with purchasing a car where it has been done. The problem is that IIRC it involves more than simple parts replacement and so, even if you can do it, you then have a potential balancing issue. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #375678 23rd Jul 2019 8:34 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

The Haldex friction plates are common for sticking together, causing a judder from the back end on lock

Never had to replace a propshaft as yet Thumbs Up

Post #375679 23rd Jul 2019 8:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

JWL wrote:
When I did my search on here I couldn't find what I was asking hence my post, just wondered if anyone had made an attempt at a propshaft repair

Yes, the rear propshaft joint got damaged, long story due to some thieving clowns trying to nick my rear diff. The rest of the propshaft was totally ok but that rear joint was fubared. My indy searched long and hard to try and fix it, tried manufacturers of joints, at one point thought the part off a Volvo XC90 might fit, it was close but no go. In the end after being without the vehicle for weeks we gave up and bought a full propshaft, £550. This was 2014 iirc.

Post #375958 30th Jul 2019 12:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1