Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Severe problems getting parts for bodywork repair. Advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
islander

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Severe problems getting parts for bodywork repair. Advice?

Baby has now been in the body shop for a month Censored . My fault entirely for crashing her, but the garage claims that they simply cannot get Land Rover to supply a rear door seal and that the repair is therefore on indefinite hold! Are they telling the truth or am I being fobbed off? I cannot credit that Land Rover can possibly have run out of a simple part like a rubber door seal for one of their biggest selling vehicles.

To be honest, coming on top of being left stranded by a dead battery twice in the first year, living through winter without a proper cabin heater (the cause of the dead battery) and a series recall for the cabin heater (still not here) and the sun-roof (still not done), I am becoming pretty tired of the sight of the Land Rover garage and pretty cheesed off with going to work by bicycle.

At this point, I am thinking of trading her in for something Japanese or German once she is back on the road.

Which would break my heart.... I love the car but I don't love the after-sales service.

Does anyone else have any observations about Land Rover's ability to supply parts for routine repairs? Is this an isolated incident or are Land Rover generally pretty poor in this area?

Post #35559 26th Jan 2009 10:06 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

If you speak to your dealer they maybe able to pull the required part off the production line. or look up a landrover breakers, to see if you could get a second hand part to tide you over till the new one arrives

My old car was off the road for something 5 months waiting for a part to be made available, speaking to the insurance company they said they had a chap with an american car which required a airbag and they have been waiting 13months for it.

Thats where the problem lays, LR tell your garage that the parts not available they just say fine, we are getting paid for storage, so longer it takes, more we make. My insurers at the time, were quite happy to pay for aloan car for 5 months (£5000) but would NOT pay for the dashboard to be flown over from Korea at a cost of £250 Shocked

If you would like to check the seals availiblity, speak to Nick Lee the parts manager at Yeovil Landrover, he is a forum sponsor for Disco3, if he can get you one he will Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #35560 26th Jan 2009 10:25 am
Lukey Luke

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Can't help I am afraid islander. Just wondering which dealer you are using? HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #35564 26th Jan 2009 12:28 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I would insist that the dealer 'borrowed' to part from one of his stock of used fl2's, then fitted the new one for you when it arrived. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #35627 26th Jan 2009 11:40 pm
islander

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Guys, these are all very helpful suggestions. My problem is that the repair is being done under my insurance, therefore the insurance company has contracted the work to an independent garage. I am not the "customer" here or you can be sure that I would have had the Censored problem fixed by now.

The garage claims that LR cannot supply the part, a rubber door seal, which was ordered on the 29th of December and of which there is still no sign over a month later. Apparently a replacement Land Rover badge is still awaited also Shocked

Even by the usual standards of British service, this is just taking the Censored . My car has now been off the road for six weeks Big Cry

I hate to join the Never Again crowd, but in case car manufacturers haven't noticed, customers shopping for luxury cars care more about their time being wasted than they do about costs, in the long run......

Anyone want to buy a year old FL2 HSE, low mileage (especially lately), just been serviced?

Post #35907 31st Jan 2009 8:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I would still find the cost of the part from Yeovil and if he can get one, get the company to reimburse you Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #35919 31st Jan 2009 9:25 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
I would still find the cost of the part from Yeovil and if he can get one, get the company to reimburse you

Could you even have a word with the garage fixing it, and see if they'll buy the part off you, if you can get one?

I hope they've supplied a hire car while they muck you about.

Rich

Post #35927 31st Jan 2009 10:35 pm
Grumpy

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Izmir Blue

Just a note - I had a wind noise issue - diagnosed as a front door seal (not sure which actual one) but no delay at all on the parts. I have had excellent service from Taggarts of Glasgow though their parts prices are not cheap - I asked about the door rubbing strips and they were just shy of £180.00 which for 4 strips of plastic is extreme to say the least - my doors are still naked as they say.

I think I'd be threatening the insurers by now

Banging Head

Grumpy Grumpy

Post #37319 18th Feb 2009 2:48 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I've had no alarm for 3 1/2 months, waiting for parts Shocked Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #37324 18th Feb 2009 5:25 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

islander wrote:
Guys, these are all very helpful suggestions. My problem is that the repair is being done under my insurance, therefore the insurance company has contracted the work to an independent garage. I am not the "customer" here or you can be sure that I would have had the Censored problem fixed by now.

The garage claims that LR cannot supply the part, a rubber door seal, which was ordered on the 29th of December and of which there is still no sign over a month later. Apparently a replacement Land Rover badge is still awaited also Shocked

Even by the usual standards of British service, this is just taking the Censored . My car has now been off the road for six weeks Big Cry

I hate to join the Never Again crowd, but in case car manufacturers haven't noticed, customers shopping for luxury cars care more about their time being wasted than they do about costs, in the long run......

Anyone want to buy a year old FL2 HSE, low mileage (especially lately), just been serviced?

You do realise that as you are the policy holder you have the "right" to choose which garage your car goes to for the work to be carried out. Insurance company's can no longer dictate where your car gets fixed.

Post #37328 18th Feb 2009 7:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

avtur wrote:
I've had no alarm for 3 1/2 months, waiting for parts Shocked

Its really a joke that you have had to wait 3 1/2 months

I presume they are unwilling to pull the required part of the production line, unless all new FL2's are without alarm too

I was sorting through my office draw and found paperwork relating to my old car been off the road for 3 months, and found a lovely letter sent to the MD of KIA UK, the part didn't take long after that to arrive Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #37335 18th Feb 2009 8:34 pm
techauthorbob

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Narvik Black
Insurers repairers

I had a Disco repaired a few years ago, the insurance company wanted to use their repairer but I insisted on a Land Rover main dealer because of concerns about the warranty and they agreed OK. Farnells had it fixed within a week so that I could go on holiday n- super level of service Thumbs Up

On a similar not I had to get a replacement Macintosh computer for a damaged one and the insurer also wanted their preferred supplier but I insisted on my normal business suplier - they were both quicker AND cheaper than the preferred one. Not only that but I had my normal contact at the shop to help things along.

Post #37542 22nd Feb 2009 12:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1