Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > The futures electric
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
GW8IZR

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black

A huge part of society still depends on 800 quid Aygo/ focus / golf etc to go about their business of life, have a look at the number of builders vans that are 55 plate Fiat/Peugeot boxer vans, again £800-£1500 worth of van. It’s unlikely that this sector of society is suddenly going to be able to buy brand-new vehicles, it’s unlikely that they are going to be able to commit to putting a new vehicle on finance in whatever format it is at that time.

it’s going to be 10 to 15 years before today’s crop of electric vehicles become affordable to replace these vehicles.

Considering that most electric vehicles today are, to be blunt totally impractical- in 15 years if they are still running I don’t see them being practical replacements for the above transport needs.

Ten year old Internal combustion engine cars ( like my FL ) are quite well developed, practical to maintain and pleasant things to drive about in, affordable and sensible to run. Even when electric vehicles make a quantum leap in practicality in the next few years how long is it going to be before “most of us“ can afford to buy and run a similar purchase.

Those of us that live in rural areas currently need private transport that can travel more than a few miles at a time, that is a fact of life that cannot be disputed, no matter how often environmental experts tell us that we must change our lifestyle for the future there are some things that cannot be changed overnight. Where is the money going to come from to subsidise the transition to a practical replacement for our current transport needs. If as I suspect there is no subsidy to fund this transition then the changes by necessity need to be slow.

Of course I could give up my home and my need for private transport by moving to the city, when I lived in Oslo I didn’t use a private car because there was a practical alternative.

So maybe we all need to move to the city where there is a practical transport infrastructure, but wait..... won’t that increase congestion and reduce air quality?

Post #374372 1st Jul 2019 7:34 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Super Fast Electric Charging was on the news this morning. It still takes well over half an hour to charge enough for a couple of hundred miles at best.

Then I thought, yesterday I had to queue to refuel with diesel for nearly 10 mins to get to a pump, and each car spent only about 5 mins at it's pump.

How would we cope if each car was say 45 mins at the charging point, and how many charging points would we need?

It just doesn't seem practical. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #375159 17th Jul 2019 6:41 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That’s only if you need to refuel along your journey, the vast majority of journeys can be made using a full tank and have some (plenty) left over.

I expect during the first years of horseless carriages exactly the same issues where bounded around.......we managed to surmount those issues also Wink

In 20 years time there’ll be EV 4X4 vehicles every bit as practical as a FL2, the fact most of us will be dead is probably a good thing Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #375166 17th Jul 2019 8:14 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Most people will recharge their battery cars at home, which obviously can't be done with petrol or diesel, negating the current requirements for public refuelling places. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #375176 17th Jul 2019 9:40 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Boxbrownie wrote:
In 20 years time there’ll be EV 4X4 vehicles every bit as practical as a FL2, the fact most of us will be dead is probably a good thing Rolling with laughter

Maybe every bit as practical as a 4WD, but as a FL2 that's pushing the envelope! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #375177 17th Jul 2019 10:09 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

We put 3 phase in the garage for an EV in the future, but probably my next vehicle will be an electric wheelchair, at least I will be able to charge it in 10 seconds! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #375178 17th Jul 2019 10:14 am
Boxbrownie

Lightwater wrote:
Boxbrownie wrote:
In 20 years time there’ll be EV 4X4 vehicles every bit as practical as a FL2, the fact most of us will be dead is probably a good thing Rolling with laughter

Maybe every bit as practical as a 4WD, but as a FL2 that's pushing the envelope!

Why not, yes the FL2 is good or even excellent, but lets not kid ourselves...it's not the Messiah Wink Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #375180 17th Jul 2019 11:07 am
Boxbrownie

Lightwater wrote:
We put 3 phase in the garage for an EV in the future, but probably my next vehicle will be an electric wheelchair, at least I will be able to charge it in 10 seconds!

There is 3 phase all over the farm but the charger that was installed for my Daughters iPace was a normal 7Kw jobby, charges overnight with no issue, in the future who knows but they wont be charging a New Holland T7/8 from the mains any time soon Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #375181 17th Jul 2019 11:11 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Totally overlooks the point that the majority don't have a driveway to park all the vehicles on.
Even those lucky enough to have a 2 car driveway will need two 7kW charging points - 60Amp!

I had to park in the next street last night as neighbours had visitors, can't really see on-street charging for everyone any time soon. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #375183 17th Jul 2019 11:53 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Yes, on street charging is going to be a problem. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #375186 17th Jul 2019 12:11 pm
Boxbrownie

Andy131 wrote:
Totally overlooks the point that the majority don't have a driveway to park all the vehicles on.
Even those lucky enough to have a 2 car driveway will need two 7kW charging points - 60Amp!

I had to park in the next street last night as neighbours had visitors, can't really see on-street charging for everyone any time soon.

I thought we were talking about new housing developments.......? Regards

David

Post #375212 17th Jul 2019 4:58 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I believe there is a mismatch between the stories and reality.

When I studied the news item again, it was only promising 40 superfast chargers, in total, throughout the country in the next 18 months.

And, of course, most commentators have ommited to say that virtually no electric cars are capable of taking the full rate anyway.

PS I thought I was future-proofing myself when I had (the maximum domestic) 7 kw charger installed in my garage.
I now fear it will be out of date before I manage to buy an electric car to go with it. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #375214 17th Jul 2019 5:00 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"ianmetro
"Super Fast Electric Charging was on the news this morning. It still takes well over half an hour to charge enough for a couple of hundred miles at best.

Then I thought, yesterday I had to queue to refuel with diesel for nearly 10 mins to get to a pump, and each car spent only about 5 mins at it's pump.

How would we cope if each car was say 45 mins at the charging point, and how many charging points would we need? "

What they don't tell you is most electrics cars cannot be fast charged twice in one day ! they have software to prevent damaging the batteries!

They don't tell you for a lot of electric vehicles and I quote " do not carry heavy objects or liquids in the boots to reduce risk of damage to batteries ! " ( so don't use them for shopping LOL )

They don't tell you some have zero tolerance of wading in water ! and some as much as 20 cms only Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #375301 18th Jul 2019 6:46 pm
Boxbrownie

Unfortunately the usual misinformed facts, it is only a few older generation EVs like the original Leaf that cannot (in actual fact they can but the second/third charge is very slow due to temperature) be charged more than once a day, all others have extremely efficient battery management systems which allow continuous driving and charging.

Batteries are in sealed units (to enable the thermal management as mentioned above) but there may be some electronics in the boot (just like your FL2) which would object to household Bleach being leaked onto them, and as for the wading depth they will wade the same as any other ICE vehicle, to a specified depth.......do you really think the new Hybrid/EV Land Rovers coming will not wade to the same depths as their older breathren?

I tested Fords (ICE) to a standard 20cm to 30cm (at various speeds) depending upon the model, some for RoW markets were developed to greater depths, up to 45cm these depths are pretty standard for normal vehicles, off road vehicles are tested to slightly greater depths, problem is we could never design and develop enough to negate the effects of the big nut holding the steering wheel Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #375331 19th Jul 2019 7:23 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLC3lryWrjQ 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #375336 19th Jul 2019 8:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>