Home > Technical > HSE 07 auto leveling headlight failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Algebal

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Indus Silver
HSE 07 auto leveling headlight failure

Hi all,

I have searched the web and can't find any information on the warning light I have flashing up. It is to do with the auto leveling /headlight adjuster the freelancer 2 HSE has on it.

I can see the light moves from one side of the light to the other like it is scanning.. then Just moved back to start position and the warning light constantly flashes.

Does anyone know a fixf or this!? My MOT is coming up so want to get this sorted.....

The warning light looks like a little tea cup flashing orange
Any help would be gladly received....

Post #374895 11th Jul 2019 10:18 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

From your description your car appears to have AFS (or adaptive headlights) fitted. Quite rare! It means that when driving with the lights on the headlight beam follows the input from the steering wheel and will move a little to the left and right as you drive. You are also correct in that they should auto level. If the auto levelling is not working then this is an MOT fail. There is quite a lot to the AFS as it includes sensors on the front and rear suspension ,steering wheel input sensor, an ecu and the motorised headlight units.
Other than a visual inspection for loose wiring or damage to the suspension sensor arms it would really need to go to a dealer to have the fault code read which should identify the problem. It seems at least the headlights are ok as they should do that little alignment dance left ,right ,up, down but other than that there is little that you can do for a DIY fix without getting the fault codes.
Not sure if any generic code reader can do the reader or if it would need to be a landrover specific one. You will probably faint once you have a quote to fit the fault (or even the price just to have the codes read) but once you know what the fault is you might be able to fit it yourself! Good luck! Thumbs Up

Post #374897 12th Jul 2019 7:34 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Most likely problem will be a stepper motor in the headlights units.
On Ignition the lighting ecu puts the stepper motor into a limit test so either one or more of the motors is failing this test and logging a dtc in the headlight control module and the AFS system warning light is registering. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #374912 12th Jul 2019 10:50 am
Algebal

[quote=
Other than a visual inspection for loose wiring or damage to the suspension sensor arms i[/quote]

Thank you so much!!! I have looked this up and found alot more info so thank you!!! It's easy when you know what it's actually called haha....

Just need to try and work out where all the sensors are located so I can do a check of them all Smile hopefully get it done this weekend!!! I will have the wheel off to change the crank shaft sensor so maybe I will be lucky and hit two bird with one stone

Thanks again all!!!

Post #374938 12th Jul 2019 9:42 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

There are Diagnostic Codes in the Repair Manual, have you read them with an OBDC Reader?
The manual does say about resetting codes and disconnecting one lamp at a time to check for fault source.

Handy quote on warning lamp--
Adaptive Front Lighting System Indicator
The Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) indicator is controlled by the AFS module. The AFS module is hardwired to the CJB, which relays signals to the instrument cluster over the medium speed CAN bus. When the vehicle enters power mode 6, the AFS indicator is illuminated in an amber color for a 3 second bulb check. If during AFS operation a fault is detected, the AFS indicator will flash at a frequency of 2 Hz.

Description
ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM (AFS)

The system operates by the AFS control module receiving inputs from the engine control module for engine running signal, the ABS module for steering angle and vehicle speed and a reverse gear input from the transmission.

The AFS control module processes these signals and provides an output to the headlamp leveling motors to adjust the headlamp horizontal aim according to vehicle speed and steering angle.

• NOTE: In markets with Daytime Running Lamps (DRL), the AFS system will not operate when the DRL are active.

The AFS control module is connected on the high speed CAN bus to receive information from other vehicle systems. The control module is connected to the AFS power module on a dedicated Local Interconnect Network (LIN) bus. The AFS control module calculates, using input data from other systems, the required position of the horizontal adjustment of the projector modules. The position information is then output on the LIN bus to the AFS power module located on each headlamp assembly. This module then outputs the appropriate signals to power the AFS stepper motors in the headlamp to the appropriate position.

The horizontal position of the projector modules is dependant on a number of input variables. The position is determined by vehicle speed and steering angle. When reverse gear is elected, the projector modules are moved to the straight ahead position to avoid glare to other road users.

The angles of each projector module differ to give the correct spread of light, for example, when turning left, the left hand projector module will have a greater swivelling angle than the right hand projector module.

In the event of a failure of the AFS system, a warning indicator in the instrument cluster flashes to warn the driver. The AFS warning indicator illuminates when the ignition switch is in power mode 6 and will flash continuously until the fault is rectified.

Illumination of the AFS warning indicator does not necessarily mean that there is a fault with the AFS system. The fault may be caused by a failure of another system such as steering angle sensor or the vehicle speed signal missing, preventing the AFS system operating correctly.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #374939 12th Jul 2019 9:55 pm
Algebal

Thank you for all the help guys... Now I know what it is I have done some more looking into it... It seems the right hand light moves side to side as normal... But the left had light seems to try and get stuck!?

I have opened the light up and can see the hydrolic section of the light that doesn't move is further out (when at rest) than the right hand light....

Do you think that suggests the lights motor!? Or could it be a sensor specifically affecting the left light! :S

Post #374980 14th Jul 2019 1:40 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

As I said they’re a stepper motor and when they do they’re startup sequence that’s when they sense if they can’t reach they’re limits and generate a dtc.
New motor is required probably will have to change out complete headlight unit as motors not available as a spare. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #374982 14th Jul 2019 2:06 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

if it works it may just need recalibrating. Can be done on a diagnostic tool. Its called a re-zero Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #374985 14th Jul 2019 3:31 pm
IanMetro

You really need diagnostic equipment to read code and action reset etc.
Think of trying to diagnose and repair your laptop without any software help.

Repair manual has a few different DTCs (here are two)

DTC
B1D64-01

Description
Left Headlamp Swivelling Motor General Electrical Failure

Possible Cause
Internal Headlamp Motor Fault
Internal Headlamp Circuit Fault

Action
Using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system perform an On Demand Self Test, look for any errors in movement (compare with other headlamp) and visually inspect the lamp for internal damage or dislocation (ball joints out). Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check for circuit fault between the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) Control Module and the Headlamp Swivelling Motor. If no mechanical or circuit faults are evident, suspect headlamp internal fault, replace as required. Refer to the new module/component installation note at the top of the DTC Index

DTC
B1D64-87

Description
Left Headlamp Swivelling Motor Missing message

Possible Cause
Missing message

Action
Using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system perform an On Demand Self Test, look for any errors in movement (compare with other headlamp) and visually inspect the lamp for internal damage or dislocation (ball joints out). Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check for circuit fault between the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) Control Module and the Headlamp Swivelling Motor. If no mechanical or circuit faults are evident, suspect headlamp internal fault, replace as required. Refer to the new module/component installation note at the top of the DTC Index

Post #374990 14th Jul 2019 4:40 pm
IanMetro

These are the notes it refers to in the script.

General Information - Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) IndexDTC: Headlamp Control Module (HCM)
Description and Operation

• NOTE: If a control module or component is suspect and the vehicle remains under manufacturer warranty, refer to the Warranty Policy and Procedures manual (section B1.2), or determine if any prior approval program is in operation, before the replacement of a component.

• NOTE: Generic scan tools may not read the codes listed, or may read only 5-digit codes. Match the 5 digits from the scan tool to the first 5 digits of the 7-digit code listed to identify the fault (the last 2 digits give extra information read by the manufacturer-approved diagnostic system).

• NOTE: When performing voltage or resistance tests, always use a digital multimeter (DMM) accurate to three decimal places, and with an up-to-date calibration certificate. When testing resistance always take the resistance of the DMM leads into account.

• NOTE: Check and rectify basic faults before beginning diagnostic routines involving pinpoint tests. • NOTE: Inspect connectors for signs of water ingress, and pins for damage and/or corrosion.

• NOTE: If DTCs are recorded and, after performing the pinpoint tests, a fault is not present, an intermittent concern may be the cause. Always check for loose connections and corroded terminals.

Post #374991 14th Jul 2019 4:45 pm
dggott

United States 

I did a separate post on this. Maybe I shouldn’t have, but I’m new and I’m sticking with that excuse. My afs don’t dance on startup, but there’s no light telling me there’s a fault- not that warning lights never burn out.

Thanks

Post #377157 20th Aug 2019 11:50 pm
dggott

United States 

That should be doesn’t, not don’t. Autocorrect needs proofed it seems

Post #377158 20th Aug 2019 11:51 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

You should be able to check the warning lights work as they should all light up briefly when the car does it`s start up checks. Have you been able to tell if the headlights are still turning to follow the steering as they should. They will only work when the car is moving so it can be hard to tell! Big Cry

Post #377162 21st Aug 2019 6:28 am
dggott

United States 

Duh! I knew that (but totally forgot it). It is NOT early onset. Lol

The idiot light works, and goes out after the test, so there’s no fault. I think they still work when I corner with low beams, but haven’t checked in a while, so will do and post after.

Thanks

Post #377264 22nd Aug 2019 11:51 pm
dggott

United States 

The warning light works on start up, but has never come on when driving. On start up, they don’t dance, but the afs works when driving. Suggestions?

Post #377803 4th Sep 2019 1:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>