Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > From the horses mouth...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue
From the horses mouth...

I got talking to a guy at the weekend while away in the tintent and he started asking me about how I liked the Freelander as a tow car, and in general.

He then told me that he works for a large JLR dealership, and is a trained LR technician.

He is just about to buy a very late model Freelander as he wouldn't touch a Discovery Sport with a barge pole, and reckons that if well looked after most Freelanders will outlive a Disco Sport.

I think this sentiment has been expressed more than once on this forum.... Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #373014 3rd Jun 2019 12:24 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The Freelander has up to 350 kg towball weight in Australia.

The DS, 5 seater up to 175 kg, 7 seater up to 125 kg. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #373016 3rd Jun 2019 1:13 pm
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Yep, all reasons and more why I had no trouble deciding to replace the engine in my 2009 Freelander 2 and extend its service rather than break it up or sell it with dead engine to go DS sport... I did 475 miles this past weekend on the one tank of fuel and in perfect comfort.

On paper I'm up financially as well through not buying a newer vehicle and keeping this one, especially as it does at least 30K miles a year... the figures for depreciation (or, hiked PCP cost) for a 90K 3-year MY2018 DS were somewhat eye-watering and also helped the decision... Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #373023 3rd Jun 2019 3:55 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Didn’t the early DS use the same engine though, the 2.2 diesel? Surely that model would be OK?

Might not be the “image” so much of a traditional LR as the FL2 of course but most of the running gear cannot be so different, can it?

Must admit my DiL had (I think) three DS and had loads of issues with the first one, although that was a very early build before general release, the others were pretty good if you discount the numerous issues with the ICE/Nav/LR Connected electronics! No issues mechanically though. They now have a D5 and it’s night and day difference. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #373030 3rd Jun 2019 5:42 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

OK stop rubbing it in.

30k a year in a DS, and it will be worthless long before I have paid for it.
That and I still prefer the driving position of the FL2 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #373031 3rd Jun 2019 5:43 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

She doesn’t buy them.....luckily.......just has to work for JLR Laughing Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #373035 3rd Jun 2019 6:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1