Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > tyre wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

He made the front tyres harder with the higher pressure so the sidewalls wont collapse as much during cornering - less roll Jules

Post #372055 14th May 2019 1:51 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

I don’t know if anyone has put a extra load rated tyres on, but that might help to even out the excessive wear on the F/N/S outer edge problem as an extra load tyre has a far stiffer carcass.

Post #372058 14th May 2019 2:01 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

The factory fitted Conti Cross Contacts that mine came with were XL 108V rated. Presumably extra load? MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #372066 14th May 2019 3:55 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My understanding is exactly that, the standard tyres are XL rated because of the job they could be called upon to do, rather than just the school run Wink Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372070 14th May 2019 4:27 pm
Kage

About 5 or 6 weeks back, after a bit of a blast down the motorway being late for an appointment, a quite loud droning/whining noise from the rear started a day or two later. Ah! The diff problems' back, so a call to Bell Engineering and it was booked in for today and also to have the Haldex serviced.
Before beginning work, Austen road tested it to make certain the diff was the problem. He wasn't convinced. Up on the ramp he couldn't feel anything or hear anything untoward. 2012 diff and Haldex fitted. Nothing wrong with wheel bearings either.
Then his colleague noticed some odd tyre wear on front near side. Looks as though some of the tread blocks are starting to tear. Could it be down to sprinted cornering? Embarassed They are Pirelli Verde All Season still with plenty of tread on.
He was pretty convinced that this was more likely to be the problem and just went ahead and serviced the Haldex rather than replace the diff without being sure that was the cause of the noise.
So I returned home £680 better off, Very Happy still with some noise Sad but assured it's not diff, wheel bearing or anything else transmission related Very Happy
Just going to source 2 new Pirellis, but definitely won't be going to National Tyre and Auto Service s again.

Last edited by Kage on 3rd Sep 2019 7:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #377777 3rd Sep 2019 12:59 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Result there,I can see how the tyres could do that actually,when you’ve got your new rubber keep on top of the pressures and maybe a bit slower round corners.

Post #377779 3rd Sep 2019 2:07 pm
Kage

Thumbs Up

Post #377792 3rd Sep 2019 5:23 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Kage wrote:
but definitely won't be going to National Tyre and Auto Service s again.

Not that I would neccessarily go there, but why wouldn't you? Did they do something wrong? Did you have 4 wheel tracking done after tyres fitted?

Just curious. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #377794 3rd Sep 2019 6:22 pm
Kage

Okay. You asked. So sorry for lengthy reply.
I'd got Pirelli Scorpions all round except for the spare which was a Continental. I'd noticed some damage to the wall of the front offside tyre. A few on here would have said it was okay, but I didn't feel comfortable with it. And I fancied a Pirelli on the spare just in case it was needed not wanting to mix brands on the same axle.
I decided to have two new Pirellis. It was National Tyres who were offering the cheapest deal and they are only 10 minutes away.
The chap on 'reception' came out onto the car park and looked at the damaged tyre and agreed it needed replacing ('course he would), and I explained how I wanted the two new tyres on the back ( as almost everybody recommends), and the existing rears to go on the front. The good NSF was to go on the spare in place of the Conti, so that I had Pirellis all round. He agreed and wrote it all down. I drove into the fitting bay and took a seat in reception.
After a couple of minutes it became apparent that one of the young fitters was a bit upset about something or other because the stream of invectives he came out with could have been heard half a mile away turned the air a very deep shade of blue. I'm no prude and can 'eff and jeff' along with the best, but this was something else. And this guy was fitting my new tyres, assisted by the depot manager, who poked his head round the door and said, "New tyres on the back, yeah?" Yes I told him. It's all on the notes.
About 20 minutes later, motormouth pops his head round the door and says, "All done." As I walked towards the car I could
see that the original damaged tyre was still on the front. Pointing this out, the fitter threw his wrench across the depot and said, "Don't start changing your f*****g mind now they're on!"
The manager came over asking what the problem was and reminded me that he'd asked if the new tyres were to go on the back, which of course they were, but as I explained it was all noted down on the job sheet which they admitted they hadn't looked at.
So now I'm left with a still damaged front tyre and a Continental on the spare.
They had punctured the side wall of on of the tyres they took off but one was still okay so that was fitted in place of the damaged front - under duress. I think they wanted me to buy another pair.
While this was being done the manager came back into reception, apologised and offered me a half price service! Needless to say I declined.
And no, I didn't have all four wheels aligned. Perhaps I will though after the new rubber is on. But it won't be National Tyres that fit them.

Post #377798 3rd Sep 2019 8:22 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ah, well no wonder you were p**ed off, I would be to.

Now we are all forewarned. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #377836 4th Sep 2019 5:40 pm
tolley

United Kingdom 

[quote="AJ918"]trolley, How many miles have your front tyres done?[/quote

2nd set now , had every alignment you can think of done .

Post #381370 17th Nov 2019 11:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12