Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > FL2 2008 2.2 Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jib4100

FL2 2008 2.2 Diesel

Hello, newby here seeking advice for my parents, my mother bought a new FL in 08, its done 12k miles, recently it went in for a recall where they disconnected the PTC.
With all the snow mother mentioned how well the car was in the snow and mud, btu she has recently noticed a whining noise from the car, father checked the engine oil today (engine cold) and there was nothing on the dipstick!!! Father put 4 litres in the engine and it now shows a level on the dipstick. No oil level light dispalyed on the dash either.
Car whines when parked engine running and in N, whining increases to revs, car is booked in with LR next week for them to have a look at it.
Does nayone here have any sugestions as to what the problem could be.
Thanks
jib

Post #37042 12th Feb 2009 6:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shar

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I would not wait for the garage call landrover assistance if there is a problem they will get the vehicle taken straight away to the garage and get you a replacement vehicle .

Post #37046 12th Feb 2009 6:45 pm
jib4100

I suggested the car go to LR asap as the last thing they need is something exploding!!!

jib

Post #37047 12th Feb 2009 6:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

what ever you do DO NOT tell them you don't check the oil every week,

One of the Disco3 member was saying they had thrown a no oil claim out on a D3 blown engine and he had said he hadn't checked the oil for a while cost something like £7000 Shocked

The told me to check my oil every 300-400 miles when new Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #37057 12th Feb 2009 7:43 pm
jib4100

No they didnt mention the oil problem to LR!!

jib

Post #37059 12th Feb 2009 8:35 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

I don't know about the F2, but with RRS there is a sticker inside the flap of the fuel filler that says to check the oil every 300-400miles as well as warning that you should only fuel up with diesel - that's every time you refuel - how do you prove you have complied with it in the event of a claim?

It is possible that if the F2 has a fuel burning heater that is the whining noise you are hearing in cold weather - it starts automatically when the air temperature drops below 5C How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #37073 13th Feb 2009 10:55 am
rover60

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

doesnt matter about mentioning the oil if there is a claim as soon as they strip the engine they would see oil starvation and they can tell if new oil has been added after the event 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #37075 13th Feb 2009 11:33 am
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I don't know about the F2, but with RRS there is a sticker inside the flap of the fuel filler that says to check the oil every 300-400miles as well as warning that you should only fuel up with diesel - that's every time you refuel - how do you prove you have complied with it in the event of a claim?

It is possible that if the F2 has a fuel burning heater that is the whining noise you are hearing in cold weather - it starts automatically when the air temperature drops below 5C

I think it's up to them to prove you didn't

Post #37076 13th Feb 2009 12:13 pm
Glendale

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

My diesel engine seized on the second of jan this year, towed to dealers in oxford, told cam had seized due to oil starvation, even though the oil was at the correct level, end result brand new engine and free service courtesy of landrover. If your parents have been running it around with low oil and have now topped it up, let landrover just look at it and see what they diagnose. Must say from our experience they could not be more helpful, still like my freelander 2, much better than my old x type estate.

Post #37077 13th Feb 2009 1:12 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Glendale wrote:

...... still like my freelander 2, much better than my old x type estate.

Ooooppps. X type estate is one of four cars on my FL2 replacement shortlist. Did you have any specific problems with it? The version I'm looking at is the 2.2 auto estate which I understand has the same auto box as the FL2. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #37078 13th Feb 2009 2:47 pm
Allan

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

We had an X type estate before the FL2 and it was superb. We had the 2.1 petrol auto so it was abit thirsty, but otherwise was faultless for the 30 months we had it. jaguar dealer service is also several notches above LR dealer service. 2009 Grey HSE Auto
Gone;
2006 Black FL2 SE manual
2007 Silver FL2 GS commercial manual.

Post #37079 13th Feb 2009 3:21 pm
Glendale

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

We had two, one a 2.0 litre diesel had nothing but problems with ECU kept going wrong so did a deal for a 2.2 sport premium manual, the thing about the sport premium i disliked the most was the low profile tyres, they were near impossible not to damage the alloys no matter how hard i tried, but apart from that if i had to get another estate i would go for the 2.2 premium, the only thing i miss on my freelander was the bi zennon lights they were fantastic. Hope that makes sense!

Post #37081 13th Feb 2009 3:35 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Allan, Glendale,

Thanks for replies. The car I'm looking at is the 2.2 estate, diesel, auto, S ..... yes its the poverty model!

Having said that it has a good spec for a bottom of the range, the only extra I would want is rear parking sensors (hope they're as good as the FL2). Allan you said 30 months, thats the same as me, so 30 months trouble free would be great!!

Am arranging to have a corporate demonstrator for a long weekend.... watch this space! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #37098 13th Feb 2009 9:04 pm
So Simple

Had a 2.0SE a few cars ago and really enjoyed it. Wished I'd gone for the sport version without chrome but never had any issues in 2 years and 30k miles. The only niggle I had was that the rear doors dont open very wide and the back seats were apparently not that comfy, but it never affected me so no problem!

Bit concerned about the comment regarding servicing as Lancaster Jaguar in Reading were probably the worst garage I've ever had the displeasure to deal with and my FL2 is coming up to its first service...at Lancaster LR (next door!)

Post #37101 13th Feb 2009 9:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1