« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Hot Starting Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huw

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black
Hot Starting Failure

I have a 2007 TD4 SE FL2. I've identified a very annoying problem which I'm hoping somebody can help resolve.
Cold starting is fine but if for example I stop the engine after driving several miles and then try to re_start, I see the HDC error message displayed, the starting cycle isn't initiated and I'm stuck! Two things appear to resolve the issue - the first is to allow the engine to cool down for approximately 10 minutes and the second is to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes and then re-connect, normal service is then resumed. Any ideas anybody??

Post #370651 22nd Apr 2019 9:05 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sounds odd but, how are your tyres? When I first bought the FL2 we drove it home 300+ miles all the way home at high speed 60-70 mph it had an awful droning/grumbling from the rear (I thought it was the diff) next morning it wouldn’t start and had all sorts of error messages including HDC, I finally managed to get it started by deleting all the error codes including the main ECU error and HDC.
Took it to the local garage and they checked out the diff, wheel bearings etc but did mention it had different tyres front to rear and the rears were worn unevenly, I changed for full new set of Michelin’s and it’s like driving a different car, no errors, no rumbling, starts fine.

I just wonder if the journey home because of the odd tyres threw up errors in the wheel sensors and made the vehicle think there was a major failure and it stopped the system starting.

Just a thought. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #370659 22nd Apr 2019 11:25 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I think you need to get your error codes read. They should tell you what the car thinks is wrong. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #370660 22nd Apr 2019 11:45 am
Boxbrownie

Error codes on mine made no difference what so ever, some really odd ones which made no sense as to my non starting issue (main issue I believe was the HDC fault indicated).

After resetting them all with an proper reader/programmer (not just a £10 OBD reader) and the new tyres the car has been perfect, let’s hope that last statement doesn’t come back and bit me in the proverbial!

But do agree that your first step is to get any error codes read and understood, at least it gives you a direction.....hopefully. Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #370662 22nd Apr 2019 2:14 pm
Huw

De ja vous!
So - the full sequence of events has been as follows:-
Bought the car at auction with full dealer service history, apparently all fine but no record of cam belt change which is scheduled for 120k miles or 120 months whichever is sooner.
Whilst driving home I picked up on the dreaded rear rumbling noise and immediately thought - rear diff issue.
I took the car to my local, very reliable independent garage for a check over and cam belt change. I asked them to check out the potential diff issue.
Following day I picked up the car. Cam belt changed and wondrously they'd swapped the front and rear wheels and the rumbling was now coming from the front. They'd examined the tyres and identified that the two which were now on the front were misshapen.
I had two new tyres fitted and the noise was gone.
Next morning tried to start the engine and found I had a flat battery. Fitted a new Bosch unit and all was fine.
Drove to the petrol garage, filled up with diesel and ..........the engine wouldn't try to start - HDC error code etc. I tried locking and unlocking the car several times and running through the starting cycle .....nothing!
Called the AA - First attempt, the engine started normally??
I took the car straight back to the garage and they plugged in their analyser. Apparently there were numerous error codes present which they managed to clear. Away I went thanking my lucky stars at my good fortune.
Yesterday, on the way to Brighton to visit our son, fuel guage showed half a tank with a range of 196 miles. Next, audible warning, low fuel, warning light came on, guage dropped to empty and range dropped to 18 miles. Despite the fact that I didn't believe this, I stopped at the next garage and filled up. Unsurprisingly, I only managed to put around 20L in the tank.
Tried to start the engine..... No luck.....HDC fault etc.
Opened the bonnet and waited 10 minutes to allow the engine to cool down. Engine started and off we went to Brighton without any further issues.
Picked up our son, went out to a pub for lunch. Went for a walk on the downs. Started the engine no problem. Drove back to Brighton, dropped off our son, tried to start the engine, same old problem!!!!
Waited 10 minutes, engine started to turn over but before starting, stopped cranking......same old HDC error code etc.
Eventually, disconnected the battery, waited a couple of minutes, re-connected the battery, engine started and we drove home to Canterbury without another hitch - blizzare ???????????

Post #370663 22nd Apr 2019 2:26 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The HDC fault is just a symptom of low voltage generally. When you press the start button the abs and Haldex pumps both run to put pressure in the relevant systems. Not enough voltage means insufficient pressure when the start up checks are made and HDC fault on the dash. Have you tried not pressing the clutch when first pressing the start button, waiting a while to allow the checks to be made, then clutch and start button as normal?
I’ve found the battery discharged on a number of occasions over the 9 years I’ve owned my car and the starter has been unable to turn over the engine and HDC fault shown up. A charge or jump start from the wife’s car normally works. New battery fitted, second earth strap fitted. No real difference to how often this occurs. I now carry a compact Li-ion battery pack but haven’t had to use it, yet!

Post #370665 22nd Apr 2019 3:14 pm
Boxbrownie

OK that is a bit spooky.....

One thing you could try before anything else is the earth lead from the battery, there is a mod to add another/better earth connection but first I’d disconnect the earth lead at the body and clean up the contact area, and as a permanent mod do the “extra earth lead” mod as well, some have found this cures all sorts of odd error codes and starting issues (didn’t seem to on mine).

My rear tyres had the “uneven/odd” wear pattern also which were giving the pseudo diff noise. Regards

David

Post #370666 22nd Apr 2019 3:17 pm
Aveling

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

It could also be a dodgy starter,
I've replaced starters on my two previous Fl2's due to dodgy starting behaviour.

Post #370695 23rd Apr 2019 9:04 am
Boxbrownie

Starter was suggested on my non starting issue, checked it out by just jumping the contacts in the front fuse box after taking the relay out, starter turned over great........mine was something further “up stream”. Regards

David

Post #370707 23rd Apr 2019 11:53 am
Huw

Well.......My problem appears to have been resolved.
My local garage (who have always been marvelous) admitted that the diagnostic analysis equipment that they used was generic and would identify most faults but not all.
They advised me to take the car to the local main agent who use model specific diagnostic equipment. So- the cost of the diagnosis was £99 plus VAT.
They called me a couple of hours after I dropped off the car to tell me that they'd identified the problem - it was a defective "throttle shut-off valve" apparently the actuator had seized. They had a spare unit in stock (made we wonder just how common this problem is) and they completed the repair on the same day for just under £500 inc VAT and the £99 for the analysis.
I've tried the hot start several times since and the fault does appear to have gone away.

Post #371289 2nd May 2019 2:30 pm
Boxbrownie

Good to hear they fixed the issue, might be nice to know how much the component is to buy? Regards

David

Post #371305 2nd May 2019 5:08 pm
Huw

It was £236 plus VAT.

Post #371354 3rd May 2019 6:33 am
Boxbrownie

Thanks, so about half and half labour and part. Regards

David

Post #371362 3rd May 2019 8:42 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1